Good Dr. Z article...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Its about time football got its version of Bill James.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?sl...i&type=lgns

Ratings Game
Dr. Z

It must have been about 15 years ago. I was at a dinner party in San Francisco, and I'd come from the 49ers' practice field, and I had my Big Book with me. I had it with me because I didn't feel safe leaving it in the car -- if it were ever lost or stolen, I'd have to kill myself.

The Big Book was, and is, my record of everything that happens to each team, week-by-week box scores, plus notes (game notes in black, trades and player movement in green, injuries in red, anything else, such as arrests or contract situations, in blue). It is 250 pages long and it lives in a five-subject binder made by Dennison Company in Framingham, Mass. They stopped making the 250-pagers a few years ago and cut down the size. I went into mourning. I should have stocked up and laid in a supply of about 50 of them, because I vitally need the 250 pages. If anyone still has any, please let me know and I'll buy them off you.

If I write small enough I can get three years into one of those big ones. But the key is writing small, real small, so small that sometimes I can't read it. Anyway, the Big Book was sitting there, minding its own business during dinner, and some woman reached over and picked it up and started thumbing through it.

"Oh my God, you've got to see this," she said to her husband. So they began tee-heeing and then they passed it around and people were practicing their one-liners on the poor thing. I made a noise like an oyster because I was used to it. Who cares what a bunch of Bay Area hoity toits think?

But one woman, actually the one I liked best at that gathering, got furious.

"Don't you understand what you're looking at?" she said to them. "You're looking at passion!"

Now let's fast forward 15 years. KC Joyner of Altamonte Springs, Fla., has sent me a copy of his magnum opus, Scientific Football 2005, a 467-page analysis of the NFL passing game, featuring the damnedest array of charts you've ever seen. And in tiny agate type, no less. KC Joyner calls himself The Football Scientist, and I could be a wiseguy and say that his book looks like a lab report, but I wouldn't do that.

Instead I asked the Flaming Redhead what she thought of it.

"Looks like yours," she said, with no trace of a smile. That's right. Looks like mine. Not so much my Big Book but my charts, except that his go into a lot more depth in the passing game. I've got to divide mine between passing and running, featuring linemen who block well and who don't, defenders who can and can't play the run, and stuff like that. Plus, my access is limited because I only see eight games a weekend. Joyner sees all 16, or 14 when the bye is in effect.

A few years ago he decided he wanted to present to the public the most in-depth analysis the passing game has ever undergone. So he quit his $50,000 a year job in telecom to see if he could actually, within the framework of time allotted, break down NFL passing the way he wanted to.

Well, I've never seen such a complete look at this phase of the game. Each passer is evaluated on the basis of every type of pass he delivers, and at every range (short, medium, deep), and from every kind of drop (three step, five, seven, seven moving up to three, scrambling, scrambling and pulling up and throwing, passing off a half roll or a sprint out, and so on). Receivers get the same treatment. So do defenders. Then they get rated and graded. So do the teams themselves, the different units, the sackers and pass blockers, etc.

If there are 500 of you out there who simply must have this book, even though it bears a $49.95 price tag, then the money KC spent to publish it himself will be covered. You can get it by e-mailing him at KC@thefootballscientist.com, or writing to him at Box 161605 Altamonte Springs, Fla., 32716-1605. But I must warn you. You must attack the statistics section, the charts, with a clear head and a good night's sleep. If you doze for a few seconds, if you let your attention wander, you'll have a hard time catching up. The abbreviations will drive you nuts, too. Study the keys in front of each section very, very carefully.

If it were just a collection of numbers, I wouldn't be spending this much time on it, but here's the thing that caught my eye: the quality of the observations. We are constantly being deluged by crap, by cliches, whether in the newspapers or on TV. The same old blah blah, how much fun Brett Favre is having out there ... after he has thrown his third interception. What a great team guy Terrell Owens has turned into ... after Donovan McNabb walks almost the entire length of the bench to get away from him. Ray Lewis' great leadership ... because he's got the old fist-in-the-air routine down pat. And so forth.

But the observation Joyner affords on every team, while I didn't agree with all of them, are striking because they are based on non-emotional, non-promotional facts. His facts.

Some random observations ... on the Broncos' wideout Ashley Lelie, for instance: "It isn't a stretch to say that Lelie was possibly the most dangerous deep threat in the NFL last season. He had the second most deep passes thrown to him, and ranked 20th in deep pass completion percentage (42 percent). He only faced tight/good coverage 24 percent of the time on deep passes, ranking him 11th in the league, and was open by two or more steps on deep passes 11 percent of the time. His success on deep routes made his overall yards per attempt the seventh highest in the league.

"It's a damn good thing Lelie was good at deep passes because he frankly stunk at the other depth levels."

Or on consensus All-Pro cornerback Champ Bailey: "Bailey was 79th in deep yards (first being the fewest), tied for 73rd in deep completion percentage, tied for 16th most in deep attempts, tied for 69th in deep TDs ... Bailey wasn't just beaten deep; he was targeted for deep passes quite frequently."

Or how about the Vikings' little-known TE, Jermaine Wiggins? "The most amazing stat ... Wiggins was thrown 102 passes but only one of them was deep ... He ranked second in the league in medium completion percentage and first in short completion percentage ... Wiggins is not the best receiving tight end in the league (he is not even close), but he's the best short-receiving tight end. He will have a role in this offense regardless of how vertical the Vikings decide to be this year. He is a perfect fit in his role and could threaten for the Pro Bowl."

Two things that I like best are ripping the established stars or basic untouchables who seldom get that treatment, and praising the unknowns. Here are a couple of major league rips.

Eli Manning: "One of the things I can't stand as an analyst is hype. Some of the PR in this league simply bugs me no end, and the Eli Manning PR probably bugs me more than just about any other. Eli played so poorly last year that at one point I pulled out the thesaurus, as I simply couldn't find the words to describe how poorly Eli Manning was playing ... Abominable, appalling, deplorable, ghastly and unsightly all seemed to hit the spot. Eli's list of mistakes was nearly as long as Mike Vick's."

Or Kurt Warner, not a star anymore but considered, in some quarters, as some kind of miracle fix for the Cardinals: "If Warner brings that blind bull in a China shop pocket presence to Arizona, he'll have a very long season. Arizona doesn't have the RB that the Giants had, or the TE. Their receivers are long on press clippings and short on performance and their offensive line will likely be a big issue. Warner is going to have to adjust to his circumstances."

Finally a nice little plug for Philly's right cornerback, Sheldon Brown, who was not a Pro Bowl choice and made only one all-pro team last year: mine. "I knew Brown was good, going into this review, but when I saw his stat lines my jaw dropped ... he only allowed one TD, despite facing 117 passes ... Brown allowed a mere two completions on 24 deep passes, which ranked second in the league...I don't get a commission for his Honolulu plane ticket and hotel room, but I like to see justice served. If he plays this well next year, he ought to not just go to the Pro Bowl. He should be an All-Pro."

Finally I placed a phone call to KC Joyner. Why, I wanted to know, didn't his stats match the official NFL ones?

"Hurricanes and blackouts," he said. "I was quite upset about the hurricanes. They made me miss six games. I got my brothers and my dad to record some others for me.

"Jacksonville's home games are blacked out where I live because they don't sell out. They don't even sell out for playoffs. But you'll find my stats are different in other areas, too, because I tape all games, including playoffs."

I asked him how many games he could tape in a single day. He said "All of them." And how many DVDs did he have all going at once? "Twelve, if I need them," he said. I asked him how that all worked and I was immediately sorry because he launched into a long explanation of splitters and A and B switches and toggles (Did I write that correctly? Maybe he meant Jesse Tuggle, the old Falcons' linebacker) that gave me a case of the stupids.

Finally I asked him if he were happy, putting himself into a meat grinder like this.

"Once I got worried because I was so consumed by football," he said. "I asked my step-sister, Melissa, 'Is it a curse that I love football so much?'

"She said, 'Most people go through their lives without finding any one thing to love so much ... a person, maybe, but not a thing. Be thankful. You've found it.'"

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice read, Roshi.

Sounds like that would be an interesting book. If someone gets it, I'd luv a review before I fork over $50.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
this joyner guy sounds like the consummate "football freak".

find him an office at valley ranch, JJ.

pgreptom

Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt it if Adam has the guy beat.

I wouldn't mind dropping $50 on it, either. I just.. don't have the time to read it all.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
wastedfluid said:
I wouldn't doubt it if Adam has the guy beat.

I wouldn't mind dropping $50 on it, either. I just.. don't have the time to read it all.

I would have droped $50 on it in March or April, but with the new season just a month away I don't have time to go through it.

I would have liked to have seen where Bledsoe and Newman actually ranked, since its been a over-debated point of contention all offseason. I knew Champ Bailey had a rough year, but 79th in deep yards given up?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
I would have droped $50 on it in March or April, but with the new season just a month away I don't have time to go through it.

I would have liked to have seen where Bledsoe and Newman actually ranked, since its been a over-debated point of contention all offseason. I knew Bailey had a rough year, but 79th?
Bailey was getting lit up all over the place last year. I was trolling the ESPN chat last year while a Broncos game was on when someone observed that the analysts keep saying it's not normal for Bailey to be getting toasted like that, but then if it keeps happening, when does it become normal.

And we complain about T-New... :rolleyes:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Adam is the shiznit and all, but as far as stats I can't imagine him having this guy beat as Adam gets his stuff from other sources whereas this guy actually analyzes every passing play for every game himself, then comes up with data.

I just purchased the Football Prospectus book and I want to read that first. If that's a smoothe read that I can finish before the start of the season, I'll purchase this book as well since I don't want to get into the middle of the season before I read a book that projects the season.

The only concern I have is the way the guy rates defenders according to pass rush. He may take that into consideration, but I'm always amazed at how many smart football people forget to take in pass rush when evaluating defensive back play.

Rich..........

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Sounds like this could be a good resource for fantasy football people. After all, I fork out $8 for Fantasy Index every year and their analysis is always dead wrong. $50 is alot to shell out, though.

Gent

Reaction score
There goes $55. I'm a numbers guy, I had to order it.

-Gent

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
The only concern I have is the way the guy rates defenders according to pass rush. He may take that into consideration, but I'm always amazed at how many smart football people forget to take in pass rush when evaluating defensive back play.

Rich..........
Exactly... You think Philly's pass rush and overall defense might be a tad bit better than Denver's? ;)

Plus, I would bet that Bailey was put in single coverage FAR more often than Brown ever was. And as we saw last year, playing man coverage with no touching allowed was almost an impossible task for anyone.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Of course pass rush figures into it somewhat, but how do you objectively quantify it? The problem you run into is over-enphasizing its impact based on hype and/or heuristics which may or may not actually hold much water when put under the microscope. Just because its a rule of thumb does not mean that its accurate. When Bill James and other amateur fan stat-heads started doing their own statistical analysis in baseball and discovered the importance of OBP, traditional "baseball people" laughed at them as number nerds who's numbers don't show the intricacies of the game. "Its called hitting, not walking" said Dusty Baker. Now its accepted as gospel. Out of the 10 top current run producing teams in the MLB, 8 are also in the top 10 in OBP.

Brown just giving up 2 completions on 24 deep passes is an amazing stat, and really has nothing to do with pass rush. Afterall, the QB's had enough time to get off the 24 passes on deep routes.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Exactly... You think Philly's pass rush and overall defense might be a tad bit better than Denver's?

Well, Philly ranked 8th in adjusted sack ratio compared to Denver ranking 9th in adjusted sack ratio according to http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl.php. Thus, that is a bit of a moot point.

However, I get a bit sick and tired of hearing about NE pulling a "miracle" job with their secondary when they have a great pass rush and LB's that are very good in coverage.

Plus, I would bet that Bailey was put in single coverage FAR more often than Brown ever was. And as we saw last year, playing man coverage with no touching allowed was almost an impossible task for anyone.

I dunno. Philly blitzes a lot and their defense is predicated on man to man coverage.

The analysis on Bailey doesn't surprise me given what I saw of him last year (albeit he had nobody helping him at safety last year). But, guys like Newman, Ken Lucas, and Quentin Jammer might get the short end of the stick.

I'll probably wind up getting the book anyway, knowing myself.

Rich...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
What about simple QB pressure, though... The fact that Denver added four defensive linemen would lead me to believe they weren't entirely happy with the pressure they were getting.

Not that I'm arguing... I'm anything but a Broncos expert. But I have to wonder about the validity of those stats as far as QB pressure when the Giants place 10 spots above the Ravens.

StateCollegeCowboy

aka BostonCowboy
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Not that I'm arguing... I'm anything but a Broncos expert. But I have to wonder about the validity of those stats as far as QB pressure when the Giants place 10 spots above the Ravens.

Actually, the Raven's defense had a great run defense which forced the other team into a lot of 3rd and longs. Their pass rush is alright, but nothing really special.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Gonna have to start and collection and buy a book we can "pass around".

Awesome stuff.
I wish I had the guts to quit my job and do this.
Then again I have a wife and kids and am not bulletproof.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Its about time football got its version of Bill James.

I hope he's not like James. James is a moron whose now whinning because there's a backlash against his book, which he proclaimed in his book was the right way to build a baseball team. And he's also whinning about people trashing the A's 2002 draft "so soon" even though it didn't bother him to call their 2001 draft an "expensive disaster".

Nevermind the 2001 draft has returned far greater results than the 2002 and the crown princess of the 2002 draft is tolling away in AA Midland with little or no hope of ever reaching the majors....

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Of course pass rush figures into it somewhat, but how do you objectively quantify it? The problem you run into is over-enphasizing its impact based on hype and/or heuristics which may or may not actually hold much water when put under the microscope. Just because its a rule of thumb does not mean that its accurate. When Bill James and other amateur fan stat-heads started doing their own statistical analysis in baseball and discovered the importance of OBP, traditional "baseball people" laughed at them as number nerds who's numbers don't show the intricacies of the game. "Its called hitting, not walking" said Dusty Baker. Now its accepted as gospel. Out of the 10 top current run producing teams in the MLB, 8 are also in the top 10 in OBP.

Brown just giving up 2 completions on 24 deep passes is an amazing stat, and really has nothing to do with pass rush. Afterall, the QB's had enough time to get off the 24 passes on deep routes.
So if a QB isn't sacked, the conditions under which he makes the pass are always the same? That doesn't seem to make much sense... We've all seen passes from a pressured QB look far worse than passes from a QB who has all day... I don't think that's hype.

I'm not slamming Brown (I always thought he was better than Sheppard) or the author. I think it's great that he wrote this book, and would love to read it myself. It's just that as you said, "How do you objectively quantify" every aspect of the game? I don't think you can. That's why judging players is as much art as science... IMO of course.