Video: Good Morning Football: More at Stake in 2023: Dak or Big Mac?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
GMF is one of the more enjoyable sports talk shows for me because they are fair and not trying to troll for reaction, and it's 100% football talk.

Good clip from a recent episode. I think it's a fair take on our Boys. (Click video for Youtube link Won't show in thread)
  • DAK arguments:
    • NFC Quarterbacks are a free-for-all. Rogers and Brady gone. Hurts won the respect the last year, but there is no Murderer's Row like the AFC. Dak has no excuse. (See video. Good comparison pic.)
    • Dak Prescott should be right out of everyone's mouth as best QB in NFC. But he's Kirk Prescott. Good player, but just has limitations.
    • No more excuses. Kellen gone. Make this your year. No more scapegoats.
  • BIG MAC arguments:
    • 2024 Free Agent Class Notable QBs. No one great available. Kirk Cousins and Ryan Tannehill are the best players. It's an equal swap to replace Dak.
    • There is no one that can be the replacement for Dak. The draft pick probably won't be high first round either. Coach replacement is best direciton.
    • Jerry has put all the weight on McCarthy. Kellen gone. It's your job now. No decision tree.
  • Big Game, pick a QB:
    • Stafford or Dak. Stafford wins.
    • Brock Purdy or Dak. Purdy wins.
    • Daniel Jones or Dak. Dak wins.
  • Cowboys and Buffalo are probably the only teams that have pressure to not only win, but win multiple playoff games. Losing in Division not bad, but it's same thing.
    • Dak or Big Mac, someone takes the fall if another Playoff repeat with no big advancement.

Last edited:

USArmyVet

Reaction score
This is a thread that is going to go off the rails really quickly as all others involving Dak, MM, or Cowboys talk usually do. I will heat up the popcorn and enjoy the show.

That said, I would say there is equal pressure on Dak and MM but given that traditionally it's easier to move on from a HC that is more likely what will happen by Jerry if Dallas fails to advance to at least the NFCCG.

Redline360

Reaction score
Hes more likely to get rid of MM. No way he's going to admit his 40m failure at QB and will die on that stance.

Plus imo an above average quarterback is harder to replace then a coach unless you keep MM and trade for a Cousins type of QB

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
IMO, Jerry will more likely fire Big Mac .

Ole' Jerrah had to get rid of Kellen , and that most definitely infuriated him .
And Jerry is a player's coach. He will always side with the players. We've had some threads talking about this. GM can't take the fall since it's the owner.

So it goes Kellen -- Big Mac -- then Dak. And if Big Mac stumbles this year, my money is on Dan Quinn being the Coach. Players already respect him, defense is the best unit in this newly built team, Jerry trusts him and likes to promote his "boys."

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they’re inexorably connected. If Dak fails, by extension McCarthy will have failed.

But I think that this is more of a prove it year for the quarterback. The decision on him will impact the team under an unforgiving salary cap.

And in my opinion there are no excuses if Prescott plays poorly. He’s got everything around him to be successful and if he’s not it’s on him.

But I truly expect both to have great success this year and that this conversation and debate ultimately becomes moot.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
And Jerry is a player's coach. He will always side with the players. We've had some threads talking about this. GM can't take the fall since it's the owner.

So it goes Kellen -- Big Mac -- then Dak. And if Big Mac stumbles this year, my money is on Dan Quinn being the Coach. Players already respect him, defense is the best unit in this newly built team, Jerry trusts him and likes to promote his "boys."
While I agree, I do not think Dak will ever get the blame given we have seen several times now that it was the HC, OC, or even players to blame for Dallas' failings. I just think the time has come that if Dallas fails to make it to the NFCCG this season then it's time to clean house in terms of HC and QB....but given JJ's age that will not happen.
Dallas has put together a quality young defense that can carry the team and has even added offensive weapons and a new scheme to make the offense more 'efficient' so the time is now to, as the old saying goes, s--t or get off the pot in Dallas.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
GMF is one of the more enjoyable sports talk shows for me because they are fair and not trying to troll for reaction, and it's 100% football talk.

Good clip from a recent episode. I think it's a fair take on our Boys. (Click video for Youtube link Won't show in thread)
  • DAK arguments:
    • NFC Quarterbacks are a free-for-all. Rogers and Brady gone. Hurts won the respect the last year, but there is no Murderer's Row like the AFC. Dak has no excuse. (See video. Good comparison pic.)
    • Dak Prescott should be right out of everyone's mouth as best QB in NFC. But he's Kirk Prescott. Good player, but just has limitations.
    • No more excuses. Kellen gone. Make this your year. No more scapegoats.
  • BIG MAC arguments:
    • 2024 Free Agent Class Notable QBs. No one great available. Kirk Cousins and Ryan Tannehill are the best players. It's an equal swap to replace Dak.
    • There is no one that can be the replacement for Dak. The draft pick probably won't be high first round either. Coach replacement is best direciton.
    • Jerry has put all the weight on McCarthy. Kellen gone. It's your job now. No decision tree.
  • Big Game, pick a QB:
    • Stafford or Dak. Stafford wins.
    • Brock Purdy or Dak. Purdy wins.
    • Daniel Jones or Dak. Dak wins.
  • Cowboys and Buffalo are probably the only teams that have pressure to not only win, but win multiple playoff games. Losing in Division not bad, but it's same thing.
    • Dak or Big Mac, someone takes the fall if another Playoff repeat with no big advancement.

Purdy over Dak come on now :facepalm:

USArmyVet

Reaction score
McCarthy - he's the only one with his job on the line. Dak is going to get extended.

I don't understand this "Big Game" thing. Was the playoff game against Brady not a Big Game?
Of course a playoff game is a big game but taking the state of TB heading into that game limping into the playoffs with a sub-.500 record and a 44-year-old QB was not on par with the 'revenge' game against SF in the 2nd round given what happened the prior season against SF in the playoffs.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Purdy over Dak come on now :facepalm:
Dak was picked over Romo. What's the difference?

An unproven hot hand with some early success vs a veteran with a track record of Playoff inconsistency.

NFL is a business. It's short-term what have you done for me lately.

Flamma

Reaction score
The guy with more at stake is always going to be the guy that is more easily replaced. But Dak doesn't get a free pass. If he has a terrible year, they might not extend him.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Of course a playoff game is a big game but taking the state of TB heading into that game limping into the playoffs with a sub-.500 record and a 44-year-old QB was not on par with the 'revenge' game against SF in the 2nd round given what happened the prior season against SF in the playoffs.
Ok then why is any game against Daniel Jones counted?

There's no logic to it .

Havic

Reaction score
Mike took over play calling and it’s a make or break year for him. If he gets fired, DQ will take the reigns imo. He is way too valuable to this franchise to go elsewhere.

Scotman

Reaction score
I think the answer comes down to an available replacement. There really isn't anyone that's immediately available that's better than Dak. At the very best, you'd make a lateral move. But, MM's situation is different. Not only are there other coaches, you have one in house that the fans and owner both like.

Based on replacement availability alone, MM is on a hotter seat than Dak.