Video: Good Morning Football: More at Stake in 2023: Dak or Big Mac?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Ok then why is any game against Daniel Jones counted?

There's no logic to it .
Much like debates that take place in this forum, ultimately 'rankings' like being referenced in this thread is nothing more than opinion. Regardless of rankings, which of course provides an opportunity for debate, what will be the deciding factor will be games played on the field this season.

75boyz

Reaction score
Great OP.
My broken record post for the entire year is team success will be determined by 2 things.
Offensive coaching and Quarterback decision making.

I want to see a weekly game day advantage from a SB winning pedigreed HC along with his longest tenured QB in the conference.

I'll be repeating these things here quite often throughout the year.

jmo

shabazz

Reaction score
The guy with more at stake is always going to be the guy that is more easily replaced. But Dak doesn't get a free pass. If he has a terrible year, they might not extend him.
And what bugs me is them not having any plans to play Rayne Dakota even a single series in the playoffs.

meanwhile, Andy Reid is playing the best quarterback in the league an ENTIRE 1sr HALF in their 2nd preseason game. Sure there’s an inherent risk to play Dakota but nothing mimics real in game situations and our Qb needs to turn things around this season so a few series tune up is needed…..remember how flat he came out last season in game 1 against the Bucs?…130 yards on 30 attempts

This isn’t a critique of Prescott…….it’s a critique of McCarthy and the FO .

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I think the answer comes down to an available replacement. There really isn't anyone that's immediately available that's better than Dak. At the very best, you'd make a lateral move. But, MM's situation is different. Not only are there other coaches, you have one in house that the fans and owner both like.

Based on replacement availability alone, MM is on a hotter seat than Dak.
True as there really isn't anyone in the 2024 free agent QB group that is an improvement so to speak over Dak and to grab a QB in the draft means a need for a Top 5 pick and that is a crap shoot.....although could you imagine Deion Sanders kid Shedaur, QB at Colorado, being drafted by Dallas? :cool:

USArmyVet

Reaction score
And what bugs me is them not having any plans to play Rayne Dakota even a single series in the playoffs.

meanwhile, Andy Reid is playing the best quarterback in the league an ENTIRE 1sr HALF in their 2nd preseason game. Sure there’s an inherent risk to play Dakota but nothing mimics real in game situations and our Qb needs to turn things around this season so a few series tune up is needed…..remember how flat he came out last season in game 1 against the Bucs?…130 yards on 30 attempts

Freudian slip perhaps but you mean preseason not playoffs. :cool:

Flamma

Reaction score

Yeah, and I heard the entire first team is playing a full quarter for Buffalo this week. I don't know how you get to game speed using practice alone. But apparently the Cowboys think they can. It's obvious that other teams are using preseason games to achieve this. Who knows, maybe they'll put some starters in on the last preseason game.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Prescott will almost certainly be back in 2024 avoiding serious injury or a complete disaster of a 2023 season. The only thing is that if he does not do well this season he may face serious competition to keep his starting job next season.

McCarthy is a different story. This is his fourth season. The owner wants more playoff wins than he has had in the past three. He very well could be at the end of his rope without a very good season.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yeah, and I heard the entire first team is playing a full quarter for Buffalo this week. I don't know how you get to game speed using practice alone. But apparently the Cowboys think they can. It's obvious that other teams are using preseason games to achieve this. Who knows, maybe they'll put some starters in on the last preseason game.
I don't remember how they did it last year with the 3 games, but I think there is a case for both. The guys playing week 2 are getting a break week before the season. It's the same deal they had with 4 games. Played week 3 and took week 4 off. If you keep them with week 3 in a shortened season, you bring the momentum into week one. Other factors too. We have some deep depth at some positions and I'm sure the coaches are fighting over who to keep. Big Mac could be keeping his new playbook close to the vest. I also consider Dak injury prone lately. Easy to forget.

Rock423

Reaction score
Hes more likely to get rid of MM. No way he's going to admit his 40m failure at QB and will die on that stance.

Plus imo an above average quarterback is harder to replace then a coach unless you keep MM and trade for a Cousins type of QB
Dak is no failure, but ok.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't remember how they did it last year with the 3 games, but I think there is a case for both. The guys playing week 2 are getting a break week before the season. It's the same deal they had with 4 games. Played week 3 and took week 4 off. If you keep them with week 3 in a shortened season, you bring the momentum into week one. Other factors too. We have some deep depth at some positions and I'm sure the coaches are fighting over who to keep. Big Mac could be keeping his new playbook close to the vest. I also consider Dak injury prone lately. Easy to forget.
Yeah, that's how they typically did it. It also appears most teams around the league are doing the same. I just thought they might change things up since there are only 3 PS games instead of four. But I think you're going to be right on this.

On Dak. He doesn't have to make big plays in PS. Don't do like Romo did and try to extend a play he had no business extending. He's the starter, not some guy trying to make a name for himself. For starters, preseason is to get game ready. At least that's what I thought it was.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
GMF is one of the more enjoyable sports talk shows for me because they are fair and not trying to troll for reaction, and it's 100% football talk.

Good clip from a recent episode. I think it's a fair take on our Boys. (Click video for Youtube link Won't show in thread)
  • DAK arguments:
    • NFC Quarterbacks are a free-for-all. Rogers and Brady gone. Hurts won the respect the last year, but there is no Murderer's Row like the AFC. Dak has no excuse. (See video. Good comparison pic.)
    • Dak Prescott should be right out of everyone's mouth as best QB in NFC. But he's Kirk Prescott. Good player, but just has limitations.
    • No more excuses. Kellen gone. Make this your year. No more scapegoats.
  • BIG MAC arguments:
    • 2024 Free Agent Class Notable QBs. No one great available. Kirk Cousins and Ryan Tannehill are the best players. It's an equal swap to replace Dak.
    • There is no one that can be the replacement for Dak. The draft pick probably won't be high first round either. Coach replacement is best direciton.
    • Jerry has put all the weight on McCarthy. Kellen gone. It's your job now. No decision tree.
  • Big Game, pick a QB:
    • Stafford or Dak. Stafford wins.
    • Brock Purdy or Dak. Purdy wins.
    • Daniel Jones or Dak. Dak wins.
  • Cowboys and Buffalo are probably the only teams that have pressure to not only win, but win multiple playoff games. Losing in Division not bad, but it's same thing.
    • Dak or Big Mac, someone takes the fall if another Playoff repeat with no big advancement.

The reality is we have a really good football team and the comparison to Buffalo is spot on. Both teams have to go to the Super Bowl to have a successful season. Does Dak really have any pressure that he has not had before? I can’t see MM getting let go, as long as Dak is healthy he has led the Cowboys to the second best record in football since MM has been the coach. Jerry does not waste money so I expect both guys to play out their contracts. Both Dak and MM will be back for 24.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike took over play calling and it’s a make or break year for him. If he gets fired, DQ will take the reigns imo. He is way too valuable to this franchise to go elsewhere.
I agree but I still think they’d be a lesser team for it.

Right now they’ve effectively got head coach offense and head coach defense.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
The reality is we have a really good football team and the comparison to Buffalo is spot on. Both teams have to go to the Super Bowl to have a successful season. Does Dak really have any pressure that he has not had before? I can’t see MM getting let go, as long as Dak is healthy he has led the Cowboys to the second best record in football since MM has been the coach. Jerry does not waste money so I expect both guys to play out their contracts. Both Dak and MM will be back for 24.
While there, of course, is 'pressure' in being the starting QB of Dallas, or any NFL team for that matter, the argument can be made that this is, in fact, the season Dak will experience the most pressure seeing as how a big decision on a contract extension is due next season and Dallas has the defense and enough offensive weapons, as well as a new 'Dak friendly' offensive scheme, where expectations of at least an NFCCG are being placed on him and the team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So? They weren't any better or worse than NYG, and Tom Brady is certainly not Daniel Jones.

It's selective nonsense.
It’s fact. They were a sub .500 team. And a team with a losing record should not have been in the playoffs.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
While there, of course, is 'pressure' in being the starting QB of Dallas, or any NFL team for that matter, the argument can be made that this is, in fact, the season Dak will experience the most pressure seeing as how a big decision on a contract extension is due next season and Dallas has the defense and enough offensive weapons, as well as a new 'Dak friendly' offensive scheme, where expectations of at least an NFCCG are being placed on him and the team.
I look at it from the Jones family perspective. Since Dak has been the Cowboys quarterback he has never had a losing season and the Cowboys have been the top story of the NFL news cycle for the most part. The Jones family is happy with Dak because he takes the hits like a good soldier. What he did in 2017 for Jerry made him a Cowboy for life. Dak lost respect from the media and players around the league for standing. I don’t know what quarterback that could stand the pressure of what Dak was under at that time making a 4th round salary. The wrong move Dak could have been out of the NFL in 2018.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
GMF is one of the more enjoyable sports talk shows for me because they are fair and not trying to troll for reaction, and it's 100% football talk.

Good clip from a recent episode. I think it's a fair take on our Boys. (Click video for Youtube link Won't show in thread)
  • DAK arguments:
    • NFC Quarterbacks are a free-for-all. Rogers and Brady gone. Hurts won the respect the last year, but there is no Murderer's Row like the AFC. Dak has no excuse. (See video. Good comparison pic.)
    • Dak Prescott should be right out of everyone's mouth as best QB in NFC. But he's Kirk Prescott. Good player, but just has limitations.
    • No more excuses. Kellen gone. Make this your year. No more scapegoats.
  • BIG MAC arguments:
    • 2024 Free Agent Class Notable QBs. No one great available. Kirk Cousins and Ryan Tannehill are the best players. It's an equal swap to replace Dak.
    • There is no one that can be the replacement for Dak. The draft pick probably won't be high first round either. Coach replacement is best direciton.
    • Jerry has put all the weight on McCarthy. Kellen gone. It's your job now. No decision tree.
  • Big Game, pick a QB:
    • Stafford or Dak. Stafford wins.
    • Brock Purdy or Dak. Purdy wins.
    • Daniel Jones or Dak. Dak wins.
  • Cowboys and Buffalo are probably the only teams that have pressure to not only win, but win multiple playoff games. Losing in Division not bad, but it's same thing.
    • Dak or Big Mac, someone takes the fall if another Playoff repeat with no big advancement.

why is Brock Purdy get all the love. a few more games, season of watching tape by DCs and they are going to find his weaknesses. but I get it. he is a media darling.

I take Stafford in a big game. been there. done it. 1st over all pick.

I take Dak over Tannehill and Cousins. Tannehill is very limited. Cousins just folds in big moments. way over rated.