Google suspends employee for claiming AI has gone sentient

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I think a better term than sentient is A.I. Singularity. Other than the old fashion way ( which I personally don't believe only involves 2 humans) I don't think sentience created by humans can happen.

As to one all encompassing A.I. singularity that is teaching itself and evolving, it is interesting to think about. It comes down to the definition, and whether you look at it on a small level or large.. I don't think we have access to the information that would answer it.

When you create the first A.I. that teaches itself, I would assume it lays the ground work for the next one in some fashion, there by A.I. teaching A.I. How that would look, I don't know

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Skynet_Terminator_logo.png

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What about Space Alien AI?
Meeting alien A.I.'s would be as possible, if not more so than meeting the actual aliens. The fastest way to study or colonize a galaxy would be to send self replicating A.I.'s out into space. An A.I. (robot, for simplicity's sake) lands on a planet, moon, or asteroid, and uses the resources to build 2 or more additional robots and send them into space, and so on. They multiply exponentially, and have extensive "lives".

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Meeting alien A.I.'s would be as possible, if not more so than meeting the actual aliens. The fastest way to study or colonize a galaxy would be to send self replicating A.I.'s out into space. An A.I. (robot, for simplicity's sake) lands on a planet, moon, or asteroid, and uses the resources to build 2 or more additional robots and send them into space, and so on. They multiply exponentially, and have extensive "lives".

The ability to harvest metals, forge, build complex circuitry, etc, would be an impressive self replicating robot. It almost sounds as far fetched as us having a remote controlled erector set car on mars, haha.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Technological innovation, like human population, grows on a J curve.

the more people you have. The faster population grows.

the more advanced technology becomes, the faster it advances with each successive year.

I can’t imagine the technology we will have in 20 years even.
There is a name for this, and I am sitting here trying to remember it. lol

Moore's Law! That is it. An observation that the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit doubles about every two years.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
100%!!! I've always thought this as well. The chance that it's just an A.I. is greater than little green men flying around in a disc. Especially when you listen to reports from the Air Force on seeing the maneuvers of these "UAPs". They go from 0 to hundreds of miles an hour, and then back down to 0, in an instant. Seems to me, and obviously "they" (they assuming little green men) could harness greater technological understanding of physics, but seems to me that an organic body in an environment like that would be splat all over the inside of a ship doing those kind of maneuvers. lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
100%!!! I've always thought this as well. The chance that it's just an A.I. is greater than little green men flying around in a disc. Especially when you listen to reports from the Air Force on seeing the maneuvers of these "UAPs". They go from 0 to hundreds of miles an hour, and then back down to 0, in an instant. Seems to me, and obviously "they" (they assuming little green men) could harness greater technological understanding of physics, but seems to me that an organic body in an environment like that would be splat all over the inside of a ship doing those kind of maneuvers. lol
Unless they invented inertial dampers, a la Star Trek. ( I'm assuming that's what they mean, when they refer to 'inertial dampers' on the show.) They'd need some type of artificial force within the ship, that would keep the crew from splattering against the walls when they start and stop the ship at impulse speed. (I believe that when they use the warp drive, being contained within the warp bubble acts as an environment separate from forces outside of it.)

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Unless they invented inertial dampers, a la Star Trek. ( I'm assuming that's what they mean, when they refer to 'inertial dampers' on the show.) They'd need some type of artificial force within the ship, that would keep the crew from splattering against the walls when they start and stop the ship at impulse speed. (I believe that when they use the warp drive, being contained within the warp bubble acts as an environment separate from forces outside of it.)

There was a documentary I liked when I was younger called the "Flight of the Navigator." The way it works is that the ship A.I./alien creates a chair similar to a throne for the driver or navigator to sit in and control the ship. The throne materializes like the terminator in terminator 2. It has been a long time since I have seen it, but I do not think there are any negative effects for the driver caused by speed or turning direction. A seat belt is not required.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There was a documentary I liked when I was younger called the "Flight of the Navigator." The way it works is that the ship A.I./alien creates a chair similar to a throne for the driver or navigator to sit in and control the ship. The throne materializes like the terminator in terminator 2. It has been a long time since I have seen it, but I do not think there are any negative effects for the driver caused by speed or turning direction. A seat belt is not required.
A documentary?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yea, it is similar to the nasa ones
Documentaries are about real life events and factual reports.

I remember seeing a similar captain's chair in a Star Trek episode, but if that's not what you're talking about, you must have been watching a hopeful, possibly theoretical futuristic program about what they hope to someday achieve. It certainly doesn't seem like a documentary.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Documentaries are about real life events and factual reports.

I remember seeing a similar captain's chair in a Star Trek episode, but if that's not what you're talking about, you must have been watching a hopeful, possibly theoretical futuristic program about what they hope to someday achieve. It certainly doesn't seem like a documentary.

In terms of theoretical futuristic programing I do not see any difference between it and most of the nasa space documentaries.

It was made in1986, so you could make an argument for better cgi in current nasa videos, but tit for tat

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wow, has putting someone on ignore always been a one button push, or is that a new feature?