Gosselin describes the big breakup

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
And any fan that thinks Jimmy didnt do his fair share to wreck the ship has his head somewhere else.

Two words "New England", the owner doesn't mind if Bellichek gets all the credit. Just win baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I didn't assume what he did before or after. It's common knowledge. He hasn't stayed anywhere he went for more than 5 years. He went to Miami and had TOTAL control again and quit twice. They had to kiss his butt to get him to come back for a 4th year. He left all these jobs he's had in the same time frame but everyone is supposed to believe that it woulda been different in Dallas if it weren't for Jerry. It's a myth. Jimmy found a Jerry everywhere he went, In Miami it was Marino and at the university of Miami it was Thadeus Foote. Jerry just happened to be in between. The guys a great coach but he's an A-hole.

No, you assumed what he would do by past behavior.

OhSnap

Reaction score
No, you assumed what he would do by past behavior.

I didn't assume anything. It happened. You and many others are the ones assuming that Jimmys 23 year work history before Dallas would have changed in Dallas if it weren't for Jerry despite the fact that he did the same thing after he left.

erod

Reaction score
Jay Novachek has said many of times that the players wouldn't of been able to take another year of Jimmy.

I'm sure Jerry is to blame for that as well.

Mike Fisher has the accurate account of the Jerry-Jimmy fall out.

No he doesn't. He was an outsider and resented it. Jimmy couldn't stand him.

Dodger12

Reaction score
The world was flat by all accounts until one day they discovered it was round. Your assumption of what Jimmy did before and what he would do here ignores that things change all the time.

Theres one major hole in the assumption that Jimmy would have stayed and ran the Cowboys after 93 that is that he never stayed ANYWHERE in his WHOLE career for more than 5 years and what a coincidence he's fed up with Jerry after 5 years. The business of blaming Jerry for running Jimmy off is founded on a lie. The lie being that Jimmy was gonna stay with the Cowboys. It wasn't gonna happen. He's even said it. All he did was find a way out and make himself look like a victim. He did the same thing in Miami, he left there talking junk about his bosses. Everyone freely admits to Jimmy having this big ego but it's Jerry thats in the wrong for not turning his off. Thats hawgwarsh.

I'm capable of seeing the crappy job and bad mistakes Jerry has made but thinkin he run a man off that hadn't ever worked anywhere for more than 5 years is BS.

Go take a look at the coaching history of any successful NFL HC. They rarely stayed anywhere for more than 5 years so saying that about Jimmy and assuming he would have left Dallas is hogwash. These guys would change coaching jobs almost yearly as they work their way up the ranks. McCarthy was never anywhere more than 5 years until he found a successful gig in GB. Shanahan never stayed anywhere more than 3 years until he found success in Denver. Pete Carroll never stayed anywhere more than 5 years until he found success in USC and he parlayed that success into another shot in the NFL. Jim Harbaugh never stayed anywhere more than 3 years until he found success with SF. See a pattern? It's the nature of the beast for these guys.

When a coach has some success (Belichick, Carroll, McCarthy, Gruden, Cowher, Shanahan, etc.), they stay. That's the pattern. Show me an NFL coach that left after building a dynasty and leaving at it's peak after back to back Superbowls. You can't but I'll admit that's a high standard. Simpler yet, show me an NFL HC that just quit after having playoff success. The only one I can think of is Dick Vermeil with the Rams but I thought he left because of health reasons.

There's a pattern for sure but it's not the one Snap believes.

OhSnap

Reaction score
Go take a look at the coaching history of any successful NFL HC. They rarely stayed anywhere for more than 5 years so saying that about Jimmy and assuming he would have left Dallas is hogwash. These guys would change coaching jobs almost yearly as they work their way up the ranks. McCarthy was never anywhere more than 5 years until he found a successful gig in GB. Shanahan never stayed anywhere more than 3 years until he found success in Denver. Pete Carroll never stayed anywhere more than 5 years until he found success in USC and he parlayed that success into another shot in the NFL. Jim Harbaugh never stayed anywhere more than 3 years until he found success with SF. See a pattern? It's the nature of the beast for these guys.

When a coach has some success (Belichick, Carroll, McCarthy, Gruden, Cowher, Shanahan, etc.), they stay. That's the pattern. Show me an NFL coach that left after building a dynasty and leaving at it's peak after back to back Superbowls. You can't but I'll admit that's a high standard. Simpler yet, show me an NFL HC that just quit after having playoff success. The only one I can think of is Dick Vermeil with the Rams but I thought he left because of health reasons.

There's a pattern for sure but it's not the one Snap believes.

This wasn't the first time I've debated this so I'm a lil burnt out on it. I'll just tell you to read Jimmy's book "Turning the Thing Around" and listen to how he describes some of his bosses in it.

Jimmy was just as much of the problem between him and Jerry as Jerry and everyone working with them knew they werent gonna last long.

Heres a quote from Troy Aikman in 1994: "Jimmy orchestrated the thing brilliantly," says quarterback Troy Aikman. "He wanted out, he saw a crack, and he took it. He got a ton of money, and he got everyone to feel sorry for him."

Dodger12

Reaction score
This wasn't the first time I've debated this so I'm a lil burnt out on it. I'll just tell you to read Jimmy's book "Turning the Thing Around" and listen to how he describes some of his bosses in it.

Jimmy was just as much of the problem between him and Jerry as Jerry and everyone working with them knew they werent gonna last long.

Heres a quote from Troy Aikman in 1994: "Jimmy orchestrated the thing brilliantly," says quarterback Troy Aikman. "He wanted out, he saw a crack, and he took it. He got a ton of money, and he got everyone to feel sorry for him."

I have no doubt Jimmy wanted out and orchestrated his exit. I just don't think it was a foregone conclusion that Jimmy was on some 5 year plan and couldn't have stayed longer if Jerry didn't want to play fantasy GM and meddle on the football side of their relationship.

OhSnap

Reaction score
I have no doubt Jimmy wanted out and orchestrated his exit. I just don't think it was a foregone conclusion that Jimmy was on some 5 year plan and couldn't have stayed longer if Jerry didn't want to play fantasy GM and meddle on the football side of their relationship.

Sure Jimmy would have stayed longer if Jerry had given his team to Jimmy and went away except for when they need to pay people, who wouldn't. He made him the face of the Dallas Cowboys and let him do whatever he wanted but it wasn't enough and if Jerry was doing so many bad things medlin and playin fantasy how did the roster stay so strong for 2 years after Jimmy left?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think Parcells would have stayed longer too if he wasn't worn out by the sheer idiocy of his boss and his first born son.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Sure Jimmy would have stayed longer if Jerry had given his team to Jimmy and went away except for when they need to pay people, who wouldn't. He made him the face of the Dallas Cowboys and let him do whatever he wanted but it wasn't enough and if Jerry was doing so many bad things medlin and playin fantasy how did the roster stay so strong for 2 years after Jimmy left?

Johnson was the face fo the franchise because he was a heck of a football coach and had a vision to build the team on the field through the draft. I have no doubt that Jerry also had a vision for the financial stability of the franchise. Both did well in those elements. It was only when Jerry wanted to cross over on the other side and play GM in the war room that Jimmy had enough.

Jimmy built such a deep and talented roster that it was a testament to his work in Dallas that the team won another SB two years after he left. You may not have noticed, but we haven;t done too well re-stocking that talent after they were decimated by free agency and retirements.

Dodger12

Reaction score
I think Parcells would have stayed longer too if he wasn't worn out by the sheer idiocy of his boss and his first born son.

I'd bet Jerry and his off-spring played a part but Parcells was older and burned out too. I just think TO and other factors expedited his departure. I wish he would have stayed on another year or two because I think they had a chance.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd bet Jerry and his off-spring played a part but Parcells was older and burned out too. I just think TO and other factors expedited his departure. I wish he would have stayed on another year or two because I think they had a chance.

But that supports my theory. Who brought in Owens? It wasn't Bill Parcells.