Got a glowing performance review (questions about that)

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I got an an outstanding performance review, and that included a good raise. Out of ten categories, eight of them were ranked "exceeds expectations," and then two were "meet expectations." Then my boss had very positive comments, including that many customers are willing to wait extra specifically to have me work with them. This is good news! It feels good to have my hard work recognized. I enjoy this job, and I take pride in doing the best job I'm able to.
However, I'll likely be leaving this company. I'm fluent in German and French, and I'm not utilizing those skills very often in my current position. If I got a similar position with a company that does business with overseas companies who need employees with language skills, I could make much, much more than I currently do. So, no hard feelings about my current employer; I just want to go for a better opportunity, if I can.
So here's my question. Is it ethical to show prospective employers my performance reviews? Everyone claims to work hard and to be good with customers, but my reviews prove it. I also have letters that customers have written to me thanking me for going the extra mile for them. I've used those before in applying for promotions in-house. But if I use a performance review to help me get a better job, is that considered ethical or unethical? Is that stuff meant to be kept private? I can prove my French and German language skills via online tests, but the performance reviews are the only way I can think of that prove my work ethic and my customer skills.

rags747

Reaction score
If you are fluent in both German and French then you should have no issues, find a good headhunter. Maybe you can add Chinese to your fluency level too!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I got an an outstanding performance review, and that included a good raise. Out of ten categories, eight of them were ranked "exceeds expectations," and then two were "meet expectations." Then my boss had very positive comments, including that many customers are willing to wait extra specifically to have me work with them. This is good news! It feels good to have my hard work recognized. I enjoy this job, and I take pride in doing the best job I'm able to.
However, I'll likely be leaving this company. I'm fluent in German and French, and I'm not utilizing those skills very often in my current position. If I got a similar position with a company that does business with overseas companies who need employees with language skills, I could make much, much more than I currently do. So, no hard feelings about my current employer; I just want to go for a better opportunity, if I can.
So here's my question. Is it ethical to show prospective employers my performance reviews? Everyone claims to work hard and to be good with customers, but my reviews prove it. I also have letters that customers have written to me thanking me for going the extra mile for them. I've used those before in applying for promotions in-house. But if I use a performance review to help me get a better job, is that considered ethical or unethical? Is that stuff meant to be kept private? I can prove my French and German language skills via online tests, but the performance reviews are the only way I can think of that prove my work ethic and my customer skills.
I've gotten out of it more recently but I spent several years as a 3rd party consultant for companies talent acquisition and development teams. My personal opinion is that you'd be crazy to not share a fantastic performance review and anything else that highlights your performance, especially if you have something metrics driven. The only thing I would caution you on is how you share these documents with a potential employer is very important. I remember interviewing a guy one time that brought a binder full of awards, achievements, and past projects he had worked on, and wanted to walk through the whole thing during the interview. Very smart guy but it was easy to eliminate him from consideration as it was clear his awareness and interpersonal skills were lacking. A few tips:

*Provide the information but don't be obsessed with it. Some people will love to see these items, but other don't care. If you fixate on them too much to someone who doesn't care it's an instant turnoff
*Make sure everything is organized when providing it to a recruiter or manager you're interviewing with. If being sent through Email make sure that attachments are properly labeled and easy to identify. If being given in person put everything in a nice folder with your resume.
*Try to prioritize the most important items to share. If you share too many documents it just becomes overwhelming and nothing gets viewed. I'd try to find 1-3 things to include with your resume, and try to keep it within the last few years. No one cares about something a candidate did in 2007. If its more than 10 years ago a good rule of thumb is to not worry about it. I'd even argue 5 years is a good cut off for most scenarios.
*If you have older things you want to share or more than just a couple of items to share a good passive way to do so is with a nice LinkedIn page. It's pretty common to have a Link to these on a resume these days, and it's the best way to brag about your accomplishments in a more passive way that will still get noticed. Almost every candidate I ever interviewed I either looked up their LinkedIn page or at least tried to find them on the platform.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'll share some of your reviews:

"Always remembers my soap preference."

"I've never seen a stall with low toilet paper on his watch!"

"His hand towels are the whitest and freshest I've ever seen."

"He keeps a good variety of assorted combs and gels on hand."

"He insists on flushing for me, so I don't have to touch the handle...He even once offered to hold 'it' for me, when I had a coffee in one hand!"

Flamma

Reaction score
I admire those that are ambitious. My lack of ambition always kept me around the 25-30 dollar an hour mark, max. Or its equivalent if you go back through the decades. The one time I made more, and could have continued to do so, I backtracked.

My job is rare. You can't do a good job or bad job, you just do the job. There's nothing to praise or criticize. It has no deadlines. No real responsibility. No rate of production that needs to be met. There are no expectations other than to be on time. Sometimes I'm busy. Sometimes I don't get a customer for hours. In those cases, I just sit there. I can't be told to do anything else. I am a boring toll collector. The things about this job brings me tranquility. I work alone, which is for the best.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I admire those that are ambitious. My lack of ambition always kept me around the 25-30 dollar an hour mark, max. Or its equivalent if you go back through the decades. The one time I made more, and could have continued to do so, I backtracked.

My job is rare. You can't do a good job or bad job, you just do the job. There's nothing to praise or criticize. It has no deadlines. No real responsibility. No rate of production that needs to be met. There are no expectations other than to be on time. Sometimes I'm busy. Sometimes I don't get a customer for hours. In those cases, I just sit there. I can't be told to do anything else. I am a boring toll collector. The things about this job brings me tranquility. I work alone, which is for the best.
That's good, honest work. I've always been of the opinion that any profession should be respected, not just the glamorous ones. We can't all be surgeons or celebrities.

rags747

Reaction score

I may have asked this before but let’s do it again! Is this a State job that u get a pension with, lifetime healthcare etc? Nothing wrong with being a toll collector, if that has provided you with satisfaction that’s pretty dam important. How many years in and how many do u have left? GSP? Only tolls that I’m really familiar in Jersey are the tolls on the way to Wildwood Crest, have done that since my teens!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
BTW, I'm glad you work for someone who recognizes you. That may be worth the difference in pay you may get somewhere else.
I'm in a good position, yes. I'm not desperate for another job. It would only make sense to accept another job if it's a really good deal, and an improvement in my situation. I've been in different positions before. When I you're unemployed, you feel desperation to accept anything you can get. I've also been in crappy jobs that were downright abusive. Then it's way harder to get something else because it's also a desperate situation, and the toxic environment does not put you in a good frame of mind. I also know what red flags to watch for.

Flamma

Reaction score
I may have asked this before but let’s do it again! Is this a State job that u get a pension with, lifetime healthcare etc? Nothing wrong with being a toll collector, if that has provided you with satisfaction that’s pretty dam important. How many years in and how many do u have left? GSP? Only tolls that I’m really familiar in Jersey are the tolls on the way to Wildwood Crest, have done that since my teens!
Love Wildwood Crest. I haven't been there in ages, but I must have gone there 500 times in my youth.

I'm on the New Jersey Turnpike. The other toll road. Yes, we get a pension and health care. But you have to pay for it now. Something like 200 a month. Not bad at all. I've been there since 1997. I can retire anytime I want. I probably will within the next couple of years. I'm on a midnight shift, and I'm not doing too much anymore.

Years ago this job was stressful. I used to get over 1500 vehicles a shift. Last night I had 46. I can get as many as 100 in the summer. So it's actually very peaceful now. I watch movies and you tube a lot to pass time. I get a ridiculous amount of time off, that's why I've been putting off retirement.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Love Wildwood Crest. I haven't been there in ages, but I must have gone there 500 times in my youth.

I'm on the New Jersey Turnpike. The other toll road. Yes, we get a pension and health care. But you have to pay for it now. Something like 200 a month. Not bad at all. I've been there since 1997. I can retire anytime I want. I probably will within the next couple of years. I'm on a midnight shift, and I'm not doing too much anymore.

Years ago this job was stressful. I used to get over 1500 vehicles a shift. Last night I had 46. I can get as many as 100 in the summer. So it's actually very peaceful now. I watch movies and you tube a lot to pass time. I get a ridiculous amount of time off, that's why I've been putting off retirement.
Plus, the longer you wait, the more SS you get per month.

Creeper

Reaction score
They are your reviews so it is up to you whether you share them or not, as long as their is nothing proprietary to the company in them.

Good luck!

Creeper

Reaction score

I always liked Wildwood Crest too. It is a long ride from where I live in northern NJ but it is a great beach and the Wildwood boardwalk is not far so there is lots to do - and eat! I haven't been there in ages either, not since the kids grew up and left the house. There was a restaurant, I think it was the Blue Claw or something like that, on the way to Cape May. Loved that place. They had the best desserts!

Flamma

Reaction score
I always liked Wildwood Crest too. It is a long ride from where I live in northern NJ but it is a great beach and the Wildwood boardwalk is not far so there is lots to do - and eat! I haven't been there in ages either, not since the kids grew up and left the house. There was a restaurant, I think it was the Blue Claw or something like that, on the way to Cape May. Loved that place. They had the best desserts!
Speaking of long rides, I used to get on exit 140 in Union. Then I moved west, and it took me a half hour just to get to exit 140. I had a gas guzzling Buick Grand National with a 20 gallon tank. I went through two full tanks and then some, on those trips.

Kwyn

Reaction score
It’s your appraisal and can share it if appropriate. That being said, the professional thing to do is ensure that any proprietary or customer related information is redacted

It’s not typical for a candidate to provide a copy of an appraisal. Sometimes, a better way to introduce the idea is to work into the conversation how your current employer would describe your strengths or opportunities. It’s not an unusual interview question.

You should definitely identify key accomplishments that might be in the appraisal and list them in your resume. Kapaa results, customer satisfaction scores, cost savings, etc are all good

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've gotten out of it more recently but I spent several years as a 3rd party consultant for companies talent acquisition and development teams. My personal opinion is that you'd be crazy to not share a fantastic performance review and anything else that highlights your performance, especially if you have something metrics driven. The only thing I would caution you on is how you share these documents with a potential employer is very important. I remember interviewing a guy one time that brought a binder full of awards, achievements, and past projects he had worked on, and wanted to walk through the whole thing during the interview. Very smart guy but it was easy to eliminate him from consideration as it was clear his awareness and interpersonal skills were lacking. A few tips:

*Provide the information but don't be obsessed with it. Some people will love to see these items, but other don't care. If you fixate on them too much to someone who doesn't care it's an instant turnoff
*Make sure everything is organized when providing it to a recruiter or manager you're interviewing with. If being sent through Email make sure that attachments are properly labeled and easy to identify. If being given in person put everything in a nice folder with your resume.
*Try to prioritize the most important items to share. If you share too many documents it just becomes overwhelming and nothing gets viewed. I'd try to find 1-3 things to include with your resume, and try to keep it within the last few years. No one cares about something a candidate did in 2007. If its more than 10 years ago a good rule of thumb is to not worry about it. I'd even argue 5 years is a good cut off for most scenarios.
*If you have older things you want to share or more than just a couple of items to share a good passive way to do so is with a nice LinkedIn page. It's pretty common to have a Link to these on a resume these days, and it's the best way to brag about your accomplishments in a more passive way that will still get noticed. Almost every candidate I ever interviewed I either looked up their LinkedIn page or at least tried to find them on the platform.
Great Advice

Creeper

Reaction score
Speaking of long rides, I used to get on exit 140 in Union. Then I moved west, and it took me a half hour just to get to exit 140. I had a gas guzzling Buick Grand National with a 20 gallon tank. I went through two full tanks and then some, on those trips.
My ex-wife had a Grand National. Just keep the turbo from kicking in and you safe a lot of gas, but of course all the fun was kicking the turbo in!

I get on at exit 172 on the GSP. That is the last exit in NJ. During the summer on certain days of the week, it would be a 5 hour drive to Wildwood. We'd stay for a week or 10 days depending on the weather. But the great thing about staying in the hotels in Wildwood Crest is you didn't have to book weekend to weekend. So I booked check in in the middle of the week, and check out in the middle of the week to avoid the Long Beach Island house rental crowds on the highways.

Now, if we go to the shore for the day, we go to Island Beach State Park. Drive the SUV right up onto the beach.