Got some good inside info today

Fire407

Reaction score
Adjustments? What are those?

And God forbid Garrett sees it and points out what is going on.
After every loss we hear Garrett say that he has to look at the tape first to know what went wrong. With a mindset like that, you know he can't make adjustments at halftime or during a game. The Rams had figured out how to stop Zeke all game, but somehow Garrett didn't notice and still decided to run Zeke right up the middle on a fourth down play near the end. It was almost like Garrett was watching a different game than the rest of us.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Never adjustments on Offense. I remember the falcons game and Dak was getting killed, chaz was being abused. JG said he was getting him some help. Did he? Nope.

I have seen Marinelli make a halftime adjustment but not in the rams game. And Richard being gone most of week on job interviews was crazy to me.

There was a stat for the Cowboys in 2018 that was very telling. It was about why the Cowboys won 10 games in 2018 despite being one of the lower teams in scoring on offense:

From memory

1st Qtr: 4.5 pts (average)
2nd Qtr: 4.6 pts (Average)
3rd Qrt: 3.2 pts (well below average)
4th Qtr: 7 pts (One of the best)

The conclusions are simple:

1. Garrett and Linehan employ their conservative, predictable stupidity in the fist half and get average results. Dak is forced to run the same stupid stuff he doesn't like.

2. Garrett the dunce and Linehan come out in the 3rd quarter with none or horrid halftime adjustments. Probably try to same stupidity all over again. Which forces the Cowboys to fall behind and need to come from behind to win the game.

3. In the 4th quarter, Garrett and linehan are FORCED to abandon their offense and go to a hurry up, more aggressive type, spread offense and play calling.

4. Dak thrives in this type of offense. Loves the hurry up spread. Thrives in these type of scenarios

5. This is why Dak leads the NFL in game winning drives in the last 3 years.

6. Moore needs to get Dak in the 4th quarter to be Dak in the first 3 quarters.

Seems very obvious the changes that need to happen.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
After every loss we hear Garrett say that he has to look at the tape first to know what went wrong. With a mindset like that, you know he can't make adjustments at halftime or during a game. The Rams had figured out how to stop Zeke all game, but somehow Garrett didn't notice and still decided to run Zeke right up the middle on a fourth down play near the end. It was almost like Garrett was watching a different game than the rest of us.
Fans. Gotta love em. It’s like you think you actually know more than Garrett, the organization and the players team chemistry.

glimmerman

Reaction score
There was a stat for the Cowboys in 2018 that was very telling. It was about why the Cowboys won 10 games in 2018 despite being one of the lower teams in scoring on offense:

From memory

1. Garrett and Linehan employ their conservative, predictable stupidity in the fist half and get average results. Dak is forced to run the same stupid stuff he doesn't like.

2. Garrett the dunce and Linehan come out in the 3rd quarter with none or horrid halftime adjustments. Probably try to same stupidity all over again. Which forces the Cowboys to fall behind and need to come from behind to win the game.

3. In the 4th quarter, Garrett and linehan are FORCED to abandon their offense and go to a hurry up, more aggressive type, spread offense and play calling.

4. Dak thrives in this type of offense. Loves the hurry up spread. Thrives in these type of scenarios

Wouldn’t be to much to ask from the players either.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
I think the problem is that JG has some really good qualities that you want in a coach that's kind of unteachable and some serious issues that are teachable, but he's not getting it.

Hence why he's the "walk-around coach" now.

Jerry seems to be trying to find a way to maximize JG's good while doings things to make his "bad" better, or less on-the-field stuff.
Linehan wasn't quite the answer, and the DC crew... that's for another thread, BUT!!!
But...
Where was I going? Oh yes!

JG is a puzzle game that doesn't necessarily need to be solved, just replaced, but Jerry, or Steven, or McClay want the qualities he gives that they like to stay.
I think they're getting it now, hence the not extending his contract.

I'm still wary of who they might choose to replace him with though.
Hmmm, I think that makes sense.

Fire407

Reaction score
Fans. Gotta love em. It’s like you think you actually know more than Garrett, the organization and the players team chemistry.
I'm not a coach so I'm not sure that I would know more than Garrett. However, I do think that there are many high school coaches that would do a waaaay better job than Garrett.

glimmerman

Reaction score

From memory

Only took JJ how long to realize it. He didn’t renew his contract. I think anything short of a championship and we have a new HC.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Wouldn’t be to much to ask from the players either.

It is mind boggling how blind this offensive coaching staff has been. The offense for Dak over the last 3 years has been the opposite of what he has needed. Not sure I have ever seen a offense as poorly designed for QB then the one for Dak the last 3 years.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It is mind boggling how blind this offensive coaching staff has been. The offense for Dak over the last 3 years has been the opposite of what he has needed. Not sure I have ever seen a offense as poorly designed for QB then the one for Dak the last 3 years.
I only blame them for the last 2. 2016 was built for Romo. Team was set. For a rookie to be able to come in and go to the playoffs says a lot. About the QB and the team.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Only took JJ how long to realize it. He didn’t renew his contract. I think anything short of a championship and we have a new HC.

I have almost given up on that dream. If Jones brings in a new HC then he has to blow up all the coaches. I think he dreads that.

And if he is going to bring in a guy that will step in as another puppet, then is just another puppet. Although I don't think anyone would be as bad as Garrett.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I've been one of Garrett's critics over the years. I liked the idea of him, especially at first, but I think he's made some clear game-day management errors that are inexcusable at the elite level.

However, he has a lot of qualities you want in a head coach. He's consistent, he's extremely positive, and he knows how to communicate with players. I like the idea of him being the "walk around" coach if you surround him with premiere coordinators. The team has a lot of faith in the unproven Kellen Moore, and he's either going to work or he isn't, but Garrett's biggest weakness IMO is game-day decisions, so the idea of removing from him that, allows you to keep him in a capacity that promotes his strengths.

With all of that being said, this very much feels like a make-it-or-break-it year for Garrett. The Jones very much want to be right about him, but not extending him after last year's success was one of the smartest moves made by ownership in years. Garrett is either going to repeat or surpass last year's success or the team is going to move on. I think both sides of this fan base (fan boys and haters) can be satisfied with that. Win or go home. That's all any (realistic) sports fan can ask for.

My college team (USC) in the exact same position, so as a die hard fan, I'm either going to see my teams win next year or will see them move on to new coach who (hopefully) improves our chances of winning.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I only blame them for the last 2. 2016 was built for Romo. Team was set. For a rookie to be able to come in and go to the playoffs says a lot. About the QB and the team.

True...………..but if you recall...……….that offense, and the drafting of Zeke was largely don't to keep the defense off the field. It was THAT bad. And they said this even on draft day with Zeke.

But in 2016, the defense started to show. And the last two years, only getting better with NO ADJUSTMENTS on the offense.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I have almost given up on that dream. If Jones brings in a new HC then he has to blow up all the coaches. I think he dreads that.

And if he is going to bring in a guy that will step in as another puppet, then is just another puppet. Although I don't think anyone would be as bad as Garrett.
He had long enough to learn on the job.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
f Jones brings in a new HC then he has to blow up all the coaches
I don't know if that is accurate. Jerry has never been afraid to "assign" assistant coaches to whoever he brings in at head coach.

He absolutely should blow up the staff and let the new HC hire his own assistants though. Every owner or general manager should allow their head coach that opportunity.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've been one of Garrett's critics over the years. I liked the idea of him, especially at first, but I think he's made some clear game-day management errors that are inexcusable at the elite level.

However, he has a lot of qualities you want in a head coach. He's consistent, he's extremely positive, and he knows how to communicate with players. I like the idea of him being the "walk around" coach if you surround him with premiere coordinators. The team has a lot of faith in the unproven Kellen Moore, and he's either going to work or he isn't, but Garrett's biggest weakness IMO is game-day decisions, so the idea of removing from him that, allows you to keep him in a capacity that promotes his strengths.

With all of that being said, this very much feels like a make-it-or-break-it year for Garrett. The Jones very much want to be right about him, but not extending him after last year's success was one of the smartest moves made by ownership in years. Garrett is either going to repeat or surpass last year's success or the team is going to move on. I think both sides of this fan base (fan boys and haters) can be satisfied with that. Win or go home. That's all any (realistic) sports fan can ask for.

My college team (USC) in the exact same position, so as a die hard fan, I'm either going to see my teams win next year or will see them move on to new coach who (hopefully) improves our chances of winning.

If you could take those 3 qualities that Garrett has and ONLY allow him to do that, then he could do a decent job. But when you are the HC you have many many more responsibilities. And all those other things he is horrible at. And in Dallas he is in charge of the offense, which he is absolutely the worst I have EVER seen .

So in reality, you CANT just keep Garrett around to do a few things and call him a HC. Not that simple.

being a likeable communicator is not a good enough reason to be the HC of the Dallas Cowboys. The franchise deserves better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't know if that is accurate. Jerry has never been afraid to "assign" assistant coaches to whoever he brings in at head coach.

He absolutely should blow up the staff and let the new HC hire his own assistants though. Every owner or general manager should allow their head coach that opportunity.

LIke I said...…….he should, but he probably wont.

And if he does bring in a HC and tells him who his OC's will be, then its just another puppet.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
Garrett hasn’t been making those bad decisions for a couple years now. Who’s the GM?
Garrett and the defensive coaching staff was out coached against the Rams. They never made adjustments how the Rams was running the ball down their throats. Rams offense was getting to the line of scrimmage early which means the rams coaching staff was still on In Geoff's headset helping him call the right plays.