Got some good inside info today

glimmerman

Reaction score
True...………..but if you recall...……….that offense, and the drafting of Zeke was largely don't to keep the defense off the field. It was THAT bad. And they said this even on draft day with Zeke.

But in 2016, the defense started to show. And the last two years, only getting better with NO ADJUSTMENTS on the offense.
Now that we are getting some players on Defense it looks up. I honestly think that Romo ran the Offense during these games. JG got used to it and so did Linehan. Linehan calls a play and if Romo didn’t like it he called something else. Lol.

Now Dak has to take over and isn’t ready to run it on his own.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Look, reveal the truth der true self or toss in the towel.
What's it gonna be, then?
Wouldnt be professional for me to say. NFL GM, Executive of the year. Has been to Superbowl. I dont tell you this to make it a guessing game, more just telling you so you know what he says carries some weight.[/QU

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'm not a coach so I'm not sure that I would know more than Garrett. However, I do think that there are many high school coaches that would do a waaaay better job than Garrett.
Of course you do.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Garrett and the defensive coaching staff was out coached against the Rams. They never made adjustments how the Rams was running the ball down their throats. Rams offense was getting to the line of scrimmage early which means the rams coaching staff was still on In Geoff's headset helping him call the right plays.
Well the Cowboys defense was banged up. D-Law, Malik, Jones, LVE, Woods and Gregory. The OL was without Fred, Martin was hurt, rookie at LG, Zeke went 20 for 47 yards. The OC sucked. He’s gone. No excuses but this year is a different year with a new OC, Witten’s leadership, a great offseason FA and a potential good to great draft.

Number1

Reaction score
From memory

1st Qtr: 4.5 pts (average)
2nd Qtr: 4.6 pts (Average)
3rd Qrt: 3.2 pts (well below average)
4th Qtr: 7 pts (One of the best)

The conclusions are simple:

1. Garrett and Linehan employ their conservative, predictable stupidity in the fist half and get average results. Dak is forced to run the same stupid stuff he doesn't like.

2. Garrett the dunce and Linehan come out in the 3rd quarter with none or horrid halftime adjustments. Probably try to same stupidity all over again. Which forces the Cowboys to fall behind and need to come from behind to win the game.

3. In the 4th quarter, Garrett and linehan are FORCED to abandon their offense and go to a hurry up, more aggressive type, spread offense and play calling.

4. Dak thrives in this type of offense. Loves the hurry up spread. Thrives in these type of scenarios

5. This is why Dak leads the NFL in game winning drives in the last 3 years.

6. Moore needs to get Dak in the 4th quarter to be Dak in the first 3 quarters.

IMO, Scott was forced on JG for throwing too much
now firing Scott puts the O basically back in JGs hands

anyone imagining Moore has a free hand (a 1st year OC groomed for the job by JG) is kidding themselves
the changes we've seen O are because of JG, not in spite of him,
they flipped the OLC. WRC, QBC, and OC in 2 off seasons
and they acquired pieces missing for years - OL depth, new TEs, WR speed, and a real 3rd down back

I doubt you'll see more spread, just more hurry up and snapping the ball quicker in general
in the 2nd half of 2018 they ran about 10 more plays per game vs what they did the during Scott's first 4.5 years
that is major, no more ball control with a small lead

I doubt you'll see more spread, fewer 2 TE sets, but expect more TE targets
note, if you dump the ball to TEs you get more YPA, 1st downs, and TDs than RBs dumps
... your outlet is further up field

most coaches would do the same with Dak
if you look at Dak's body of work, college and pro:

he's the smartest guy on the field - rarely goes brain dead, rarely makes dumb plays
he has very iffy footwork in the pocket - or rather he'll throw 10 nice passes, then miss by a mile
he has great discipline in executing progressions (which more than touch accounts for the high CMP% and low INT%)
he extends plays very well - on the move he is an awesome big play machine

keep him standing and he makes plays - of course his 4Q and 2 minute #s are off the hook

JG ain't abandoning a 50 run / 50 pass ratio but they do intend to play fast and throw down field.
We'll see more formations / more motion / more slants / more play action / and probably twice as many deep shots

JG is not dumb - he just works for JJ

Last edited:

408Cowboy

Reaction score
No, he said Romo sucks, Dak sucks and Wentz is the bomb. He crapped on drafting Zeke at #5 and Fred at #30 and Martin at #16. He’s a troll and has figured out how to get idiots to follow him with his trollistic sarcasm.
Romo did suck though.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Nothing Earth shattering, more just confirming what I already believed. I was speaking with a former NFL GM today, the guy was NFL executive of the year not all that long ago "in the last 7-8 years. Put together a helluva roster and coaching staff so the guy knows what he's talking about. I told him I believed the Cowboys were loaded this year and well stocked for a deep run that could end in a Super Bowl title. This is what he said...........He said I was absolutely right that the Cowboys are loaded. Said that they had more than enuff talent to get to and win a title THIS YEAR,..........BUT ,...the question with the Cowboys is the same as its been for awhile now. Do they have the coaching?! Basically he said Garrett is a solid coach but has a long track record at always making the critical error somewhere along the way that ends up holding his teams back from winning anything meaningful.

Dont shoot the messenger. Just wanted to pass along what I heard today from someone who knows what they are talking about.
Honestly it sounds like you watched NFL Live or any NFL sports show

BHendri5

Reaction score
Nothing Earth shattering, more just confirming what I already believed. I was speaking with a former NFL GM today, the guy was NFL executive of the year not all that long ago "in the last 7-8 years. Put together a helluva roster and coaching staff so the guy knows what he's talking about. I told him I believed the Cowboys were loaded this year and well stocked for a deep run that could end in a Super Bowl title. This is what he said...........He said I was absolutely right that the Cowboys are loaded. Said that they had more than enuff talent to get to and win a title THIS YEAR,..........BUT ,...the question with the Cowboys is the same as its been for awhile now. Do they have the coaching?! Basically he said Garrett is a solid coach but has a long track record at always making the critical error somewhere along the way that ends up holding his teams back from winning anything meaningful.

Dont shoot the messenger. Just wanted to pass along what I heard today from someone who knows what they are talking about.

I’m calling BS on this post. You were talking to yourself and I am firing all my shots in your direction. If you were talking to a real GM or even a real person you would have given a name.
Instead you are doing the same thing hack reporters do , citing a source when the source is themselves. Get out of here with this Bull crap

BHendri5

Reaction score
Why would you be shot for stating the obvious? Aside from a mod with a puppet emoji, I don't know a cowboy fan that thinks garret is an elite HC capable of maneuvering a team to a super bowl.

Garrett is elite and more than capable of taking a team to the SB

BHendri5

Reaction score
Bro get out of here with this crap, you wouldn’t be professional too funny.

Fire407

Reaction score
Ah, the mob has their pitchforks all nice and sharpened.
By mob you mean all of us that want Garrett gone. No one has a pitchfork ready because we all know that the only person that can actually do anything is Jerry. People on the forum should be allowed to express any opinion, from Garrett sucks to Garrett is great. My own opinion is that he has a few positives in his favor, like a winning record for example, but the team has fallen short of its full potential over the past 10 years. I think we should have had at least one Super Bowl and maybe even two or three over the past 10 years. I think with a different HC that would have happened, but obviously there is no way I could prove it. Perhaps some day Romo and Witten and DeMarcus Ware and other great players will actually acknowledge that the years that they played were wasted with a head coach learning on the job.

basel90

Reaction score

This GM is exactly right on Garrett. He wiffed against the rams and other earlier games. He just has not progressed despite all expeiences he was offered. And the painful thing is that the mistakes are on the offensive side, his specialty .

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Now that we are getting some players on Defense it looks up. I honestly think that Romo ran the Offense during these games. JG got used to it and so did Linehan. Linehan calls a play and if Romo didn’t like it he called something else. Lol.

Now Dak has to take over and isn’t ready to run it on his own.
I disagree that Dak isn't ready to run it on his own. He has been playing with what is called, the few times he has changed the call was against Philly where he exploded in over time and the 4th quarter.

Just curious what makes you think he isn't ready?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The long and short of it is, and many of us have been saying this for years now, the farther you go in the playoffs, the more critical it is to have good coaching.

There is no salary cap on coaching...you figure it out.