Gotta figure out how to get INTs

JBS

Reaction score
Byron had a drop, I believe either Brown or Lewis had a drop last week. Heath had one bounce off his helmet lol

Heath wasn't even close to catching that

JBS

Reaction score
I don't know about 3, but the other one is when Heath broke on the receiver without ever looking at the ball and the ball hit him square in the facemask like he was trying to head it in for a goal.

Yeah heath had no chance

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Heath wasn't even close to catching that

Either the db’s drop gimmies or they don’t turn around, but they are in position to make a play.. It’s a process

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
This is why I'm ready for some Donovan Wilson.

Say what you want about preseason, he got interceptions. His interception against Houston was an amazing play on ball, and the other 21 men on the field cant really take away from that.

I just dont believe that you can coach a "my ball" attitude to someone like Byron Jones at this point. They just need to feel it, and Wilson might make them do that if he makes another spectacular INT on game day. Clearly he at least had that attitude last month.

Ironically, the guy he would replace (Heath) has been our best interceptor for the last 4 or 5 years. Look it up, Heath either leads or is tied for second every year if I recall correctly. Doesnt mean he's good at it, but he's been as good as any other Cowboy at intercepting the ball.

ondaedg

Reaction score
well, for one thing, the DBs need to look for the ball, instead of just tackling. Heath missed a sure Ints, perhaps a pick 6 in the game yesterday as he was so focused on tackling that he didn't see the ball hit him in the helmet...

I was shocked he had no idea that ball was coming right at him. And yep hit him right in the head.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No he’s just saying Heath was unaware of the balls location...
it ddi and BJ didnt turn around and woods gets hit in the hands and all failed..we should have like 4 Ints this season, lucky we didnt need them in a close game.. we will

ondaedg

Reaction score
This is why I'm ready for some Donovan Wilson.

Say what you want about preseason, he got interceptions. His interception against Houston was an amazing play on ball, and the other 21 men on the field cant really take away from that.

I just dont believe that you can coach a "my ball" attitude to someone like Byron Jones at this point. They just need to feel it, and Wilson might make them do that if he makes another spectacular INT on game day. Clearly he at least had that attitude last month.

Ironically, the guy he would replace (Heath) has been our best interceptor for the last 4 or 5 years. Look it up, Heath either leads or is tied for second every year if I recall correctly. Doesnt mean he's good at it, but he's been as good as any other Cowboy at intercepting the ball.

Heath had two in a game if i recall. But yes it doesn't mean he's good at it.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
The whole idea of moving to the Tampa 2 style D and the current derivative of it we're running was to generate interceptions. It's clearly not working.

I think we're going to see Richards make some changes this week vs Miami with some zone blitzes by the linebackers and safeties. We're limited in what we can do in coverage so I don't expect any changes there. I think he wants to get these guys used to taking the ball away and Miami could be a good place to start.

I've got the key, and I've yelled it so many times my dog thinks his name is "Turn your head around!!"

DallasInDC

Reaction score
The whole idea of moving to the Tampa 2 style D and the current derivative of it we're running was to generate interceptions. It's clearly not working.

I think we're going to see Richards make some changes this week vs Miami with some zone blitzes by the linebackers and safeties. We're limited in what we can do in coverage so I don't expect any changes there. I think he wants to get these guys used to taking the ball away and Miami could be a good place to start.

Its called hold on to the ball when it hits your hands. We should have had 3-4 ints all ready.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
I made a post about this in the offseason, and I did one last year as well. Here's my question: Is it by design, by coaching, that our corners don't turn their heads around when they are playing man coverage? It seems like it is, since they are so consistent with it. They play the man, and try to deny the receiver's ability to hang on to the ball once it arrives, but they don't turn head around and try to make a play on it.

If we really want INTs, they are going to have to take the next step, go from baby steps to actually walking. Turn your head around when you sense the ball is in flight and you are confident enough in your ability to run with the receiver.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Our DBs have zero ball awareness. Not sure if it's coaching or what, but they never look for the ball.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Somebody posted on here a few years ago that they are coached to knock the ball down, not catch it. That’s another reason why Lewis doesn’t start, he catches the ball against their wishes...

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Heath and Woods should have both had picks yesterday. They just aren’t great players on the ball. Having elite safeties almost always results in higher INT rates.