Gotta figure out how to get INTs

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
unfortunately our pass rush at this moment seems to be only Dlaw and that's it.
- Maliek will only flash you a couple of plays per game,
- Crawford is such an ill-fit at DE, (far better as nickel DT)
- Armstrong isn't there yet.
- Gregory's suspension was a killer. Has terrific first step get off, but who knows if he will ever play again.
- we wont get anything from Taco and very unlikely from Hill this year
- our best bet right now is what Quinn could possibly provide but what version will we be getting ?

We're getting the Robert Quinn fresh off steroids.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What? Cause that's the only alternative? Do you understand how the safety position works?
Apparently I'm the only one between us that does. A safety can't just ignore the receivers and the routes they run and only watch the QB, because if he does that he wont be close enough to the receiver to even have a chance to help with the play by the time he realizes where the ball is going. And there are times a safety has to flat turn and run to keep up with the receiver, and you can't keep up with someone if you aren't watching where they are going. If you are unaware of this you aren't paying attention.

Sure there are times that a safety can just hang deep and watchdog the field with everything in front of him, and then float over to where the play is, but that is not an every down, every circumstance state of affairs. If you think it is you are dramatically oversimplifying what a safety does.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
The whole idea of moving to the Tampa 2 style D and the current derivative of it we're running was to generate interceptions. It's clearly not working.

I think we're going to see Richards make some changes this week vs Miami with some zone blitzes by the linebackers and safeties. We're limited in what we can do in coverage so I don't expect any changes there. I think he wants to get these guys used to taking the ball away and Miami could be a good place to start.
Great place to start. But we play every other team based off personnel differently.

I just hope we play well against a team Vegas says we should beat by 20.5 points! I could care less if we win by that much, just wanna be 3-0 heading into Nawlins next Sunday night

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The whole idea of moving to the Tampa 2 style D and the current derivative of it we're running was to generate interceptions. It's clearly not working.

I think we're going to see Richards make some changes this week vs Miami with some zone blitzes by the linebackers and safeties. We're limited in what we can do in coverage so I don't expect any changes there. I think he wants to get these guys used to taking the ball away and Miami could be a good place to start.
Trade and sign play makers that intercept the ball. See Eric Berry, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Jalen Ramsey. Ball skills is not a self taught thing. Some are just natural at it. See Everson Walls, Deion Sanders, Dennis Thurman, Peanut Tillman, Roy Williams (S), etc.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
another issue is, the LB we have surveying the middle in coverage, isn't a ball hawk either. Jaylon doesn't strike me as the type that reads/jumps passing lanes for INTs.
in fact, I'm still in question with his overall instincts, but that's just me.
where he does help is maybe within his physicality - he can lay the lumber so hard and force some pop-fumbles.

We used to see passing lanes INTs when Lee was in the middle, (one of the very best at that at the time) but that disappeared when he moved to weakside OLB though,
we'll likely see that from LVE - he just missed one vs Giants and he's such a huge, tall obstacle/with long arms and great instincts, to try to get the ball over
but 'm I having my doubt that we will see passing lanes INTs from Jaylon.

4-2-5 is now the base D. [We saw Lee for a few plays when we moved back to a 4-3-4]

4 man DL rush. You will rarely see an overload, corner, or A gap blitz.

the 2 LB's are back in coverage.

You'll see a mix of man/zone with off man/press coverage.

Everyone runs to the ball after a catch.

That's pretty much our game.

Bend But Dont Break.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Apparently I'm the only one between us that does. A safety can't just ignore the receivers and the routes they run and only watch the QB, because if he does that he wont be close enough to the receiver to even have a chance to help with the play by the time he realizes where the ball is going. And there are times a safety has to flat turn and run to keep up with the receiver, and you can't keep up with someone if you aren't watching where they are going. If you are unaware of this you aren't paying attention.

Sure there are times that a safety can just hang deep and watchdog the field with everything in front of him, and then float over to where the play is, but that is not an every down, every circumstance state of affairs. If you think it is you are dramatically oversimplifying what a safety does.

I literally never said just watch the QB and ignore the receivers. I said a safety shouldn't have his back to the QB. By definition, a "safety is the last line of defense." I understand there are circumstances where it's going to happen. I played safety and boundary corner. I get the concepts. But it shouldn't happen on a short yardage zone coverage, which was the play in question that I responded to. Heath bit and overplayed the underneath action which cause him to have his back to the QB in zone coverage--always the opposite of what you want in that coverage.

You overreacted to my hyperbole and then overreacted to my next flippant response. You got giddy thinking you'd look smart. You're trying too hard, kid.

Seriously, I think some of you get your rocks off by acting like you know more than other people. I hope you didn't hurt yourself typing that up. Haha

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I literally never said just watch the QB and ignore the receivers. I said a safety shouldn't have his back to the QB. By definition, a "safety is the last line of defense." I understand there are circumstances where it's going to happen. I played safety and boundary corner. I get the concepts. But it shouldn't happen on a short yardage zone coverage, which was the play in question that I responded to. Heath bit and overplayed the underneath action which cause him to have his back to the QB in zone coverage--always the opposite of what you want in that coverage.

You overreacted to my hyperbole and then overreacted to my next flippant response. You got giddy thinking you'd look smart. You're trying too hard, kid.

Seriously, I think some of you get your rocks off by acting like you know more than other people. I hope you didn't hurt yourself typing that up. Haha

lol - kid … okay. I would love to feel like a kid.

I looked back, and I did misread what you wrote, so that's my mistake. Nevertheless, I still stand by the comment I made about Safeties not always being able to watch both the QB and the receiver. It's really not uncommon to see DBs or LBs get hit by passes as they are trying to stick with a receiver. Sure safeties are technically the "last line of defense", but that doesn't mean they just hang back at all times and keep everything in front of them at all costs. They play the run, they cover TEs or RB's out of the backfield, and help in coverage with multi WR sets.

That said, you may well be right that Heath bit and found himself a little out of position, but he was there to interrupt the pass, which is not a bad thing. You said he was worthless because he wasn't facing the QB, but the pass was incomplete, was it not?

Ultimately, what I was talking about is the idea that one play somehow proves a player should be benched. If we want to talk about Heath's overall play - that he isn't quite the level of player we need based on his overall play - then fine. But you can't pin it on something like this as if every other NFL safety would be guaranteed to make the interception in that situation.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

I looked back, and I did misread what you wrote, so that's my mistake. Nevertheless, I still stand by the comment I made about Safeties not always being able to watch both the QB and the receiver. It's really not uncommon to see DBs or LBs get hit by passes as they are trying to stick with a receiver. Sure safeties are technically the "last line of defense", but that doesn't mean they just hang back at all times and keep everything in front of them at all costs. They play the run, they cover TEs or RB's out of the backfield, and help in coverage with multi WR sets.

That said, you may well be right that Heath bit and found himself a little out of position, but he was there to interrupt the pass, which is not a bad thing. It's not as if he is the only safety that has ever done that.

Ultimately, what I was talking about is the idea that one play somehow proves a player should be benched. If we want to talk about Heath's overall play - that he isn't quite the level of player we need based on his overall play - then fine. But you can't pin it on something like this as if every other NFL safety would be guaranteed to make the interception in that situation.

I like this post. You're OK by me ;)

texbumthelife

Reaction score

That said, you may well be right that Heath bit and found himself a little out of position, but he was there to interrupt the pass, which is not a bad thing. You said he was worthless because he wasn't facing the QB, but the pass was incomplete, was it not?

And I too, wish I could feel like a kid again

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Heath as single high FS, Donovan Wilson at SS. Two guys who've shown they can make breaks on the ball and have good enough hands to catch it when they do.

GOAT!

kskboys

Reaction score

We have weak S's and no interior disruption. Until that's fixed, nothing else will matter much.