Grade the Joey Porter Jr. trade

Grade the Joey Porter Jr trade


  • Total voters
    141
We give up draft resources for a good player that won't help a defense that can't even make opposing QB's get nervous in the pocket.

C
I don’t think you expected this team to compete this year. I know I didn’t. Adding a major piece to what hopefully happens next year is the way to go if you don’t have any better options. Besides, do you really believe that even if we got Reggie White in his prime that it would make a difference? We have a coach and many players that are developing and that’s going to take time. Next year we hopefully add more pieces and then we may have something, if we can resign him. If not, we at least should get a third rounder back.
 
"He’s arguably a top 10 CB in the league"



We still don't know how he will fit with this Cowboys Team. Keep in mind he had TJ Watt on his Steeler team, and this is something Dallas doesn't have.
Not saying this isn't an upgrade, but I don't think it's the same kind of upgrade that some people think it will be.

Added: If Dallas were to get some good pass rush going (By either someone already on the team or bringing in an FA and or Trade) this trade will look pretty damn good.
“arguably”? Meaning someone may have an argument that he isn’t?
 
Wow didn’t realize someone would take it so personally. Seems juvenile.
The CB position is highly unlikely to win us a single game esp with the rules as they are. Even Deion can’t cover an average WR for six seconds. Other than the injuries, I don’t see how a CB improves the D unless he’s going to pull a season like Bland had or Diggs prime. Those seasons by those CBs came due to the pressure coming from up front and Micah. If Porter starts picking off a bunch of passes then I’ll change my mind but hard to see how Porter moves the needle.
I asked this of another poster. What did you really expect us to win this year? I doubt you expected much. This could end up being a brilliant move for the future.
 
I have a C. The trade price is reasonable if Joey Porter is healthy, performs at a high level, and is signed long term. That’s a lot of ifs.

Secondly, although I recognize Porter’s talent, I don’t think he gives what we are desperate for now - any kind of a pass rush.

Side note: How important is having a pass rush that produces turnovers? In the last decade the Cowboys are 0-10 (including Sunday’s loss to the ravens) when they have zero sacks and zero TOs. If we don’t start getting some pass rush, having a stud Corner isn’t going to help enough.
 
I have a C. The trade price is reasonable if Joey Porter is healthy, performs at a high level, and is signed long term. That’s a lot of ifs.

Secondly, although I recognize Porter’s talent, I don’t think he gives what we are desperate for now - any kind of a pass rush.

Side note : How important is having a pass rush that produces turnovers? In the last decade the Cowboys are 0-10 (including Sunday’s loss to the ravens) when they have zero sacks and zero TOs. If we don’t start getting some pass rush, having a stud Corner isn’t going to help enough.
There is no way it is below an A. He is one of the best corners in the league. If you let me pick any corner in the league for our team it would be Joey Porter Jr. They stole him. As for the pass rush. It will magically appear in the Houston game. No Lamar Jackson in this game.
 
If he signs long term, and he plays the way he has…..it will be an A, a high tier corner for a second, 2 years from now….young and in his prime.
 
Too early to grade but if he isn’t a 14-game rental…..he is a big piece of the defensive puzzle for the future from a solid trade.
 
I have a C. The trade price is reasonable if Joey Porter is healthy, performs at a high level, and is signed long term. That’s a lot of ifs.

Secondly, although I recognize Porter’s talent, I don’t think he gives what we are desperate for now - any kind of a pass rush.

Side note: How important is having a pass rush that produces turnovers? In the last decade the Cowboys are 0-10 (including Sunday’s loss to the ravens) when they have zero sacks and zero TOs. If we don’t start getting some pass rush, having a stud Corner isn’t going to help enough.
The only way this is a C is if it’s a one year rental and we miss the playoffs. If we make the playoffs and it’s a one year gamble, the compensatory pick we get will mostly offset the draft capital and was worth the gamble.

If he’s kept, he gives us a legit #1 CB with low draft capital.
 
D

Great, Jerry is "all in". If the Cowboys don't win it all, there is little help on the way via the next couple drafts. The Cowboys have severely handicapped their future prospects

Porter will help this year, assuming he is healthy. However, he is either a 1-year rental or insures Pickens departure.

He could be the 2nd coming of Dieon Sanders and it would make little difference without a measurable pass rush. The difference between a successful or unsuccessful DB is a fraction of a second.

Once again, splash moves replace meaningful team building.
 
I asked this of another poster. What did you really expect us to win this year? I doubt you expected much. This could end up being a brilliant move for the future.
Sure if he stays and doesn’t have back trouble but also cost us a massive contract and two draft picks one being a second rounder. If we resign him and that causes us to lose Pickens or Lamb I would say it’s a mistake. If he’s a one year rental, that’s a massive failure to give up those picks. See more ways for this to go sideways than succeed. I also just don’t see the value in CBs these days with the rules what they are. So we have Revel on rookie contract and Bland on a large second deal. Next year we would will either have to have two CBs on very large deals or part with one.
Now if Porter comes in and starts picking off a bunch of passes I will change my opinion and be happy about it but it ain’t 1995 and there’s no such thing as a lock down CB.
 
Cowboys get:

Joey Porter Jr

Steelers get:

2028 2nd round pick
2027 6th round pick
I mean it’s an A+ grade. Don’t get me wrong. I hate Jerry. I think he’s an awful GM. I think he has destroyed the Dallas cowboys as we know them. But an above average with potential great CB in this league for basically a 2nd rd pick that Jerry sucks at picking anyway? Yea that’s an A+ trade. What more could you expect from this clown?
 
As far as compensation goes, it's pretty good.

Preserved our limited resources in the talent rich 2027 draft. Kick the can down to 2028.

By that point, if JPJ is no longer on the team, then a comp pick my be a decent consolation.

And if JPJ is awesome, then we only gave up a 2nd that we were going to waste anyway.

A-
:hammer:100!! This is a low risk move it it's not expensive you get a 14 game look or however many games he's going to play And if he actually is everything he stacked up to be he has a better chance of getting paid because Blands contract would be cuttable you know movable whatever you want to call it next year and you might wanna keep this guy a defensive piece right now missing digs and the disappointment in bland the lack of experience there is much much more of a need than a wide receiver and then George Pickens gets tagged traded the Cowboys probably get at least A 1st round pick or a handful of other picks The Cowboys are fine in the draft so this is a great move but I'm giving it a B- Until I see him play a little bit I know he's a covered corner but he doesn't you know get a lot of interceptions or big plays he's just a really solid cover guy but I also want to make sure he's not also getting flags and hurting the team..
 
If we can lock in a long term reasonable contract I give it an A- if he walks after the season its an obvious F
 
If we can lock in a long term reasonable contract I give it an A- if he walks after the season its an obvious F
How is it an F when they would get a 3 back? They still traded for a top corner in 2026. The trade is still an A.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
476,053
Messages
14,659,871
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top