Graham Barton vs JPJ

HawaiiCowboy

Reaction score
I know a lot of posters on here love JPJ but recently I've seen Graham move up the mock drafts ahead of JPJ. I don't know much of either but just wondering who posters here prefer.

Rayman70

Reaction score
hip concerns even before he has played 1 down in the NFL is a big issue. He might be great for a time, but could have a shorter career. Barton looks like a 10 year all pro. JPJ might be a 5-6 year starter. You likely would need to manage him in practice.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Barton's a guy I've never settled in on. He is super-mobile and plays tough, but he is small and frankly lacks power. That's not a dealbreaker at center... it's a much more reactive position than the rest of the OL, and finding your man and getting to him is a huge part of it. You don't need to be an athletic freak and beat TJ Watt in a one-on-one footrace to the corner. But small and weak is not a combo I love to take a first round shot on.

JPJ is a brick outhouse of a man, and pretty much locks up everyone when it comes down to an elevator-sized brawl. Usually centers are your smaller, mobile guys like Barton, so at 320 lbs, JPJ is an uncommonly large and powerful pivot. But he still moves well enough to hit all his assignments No one got an inch on him at Oregon, and no one got an inch on him at the Senior Bowl even when he was lined up 1v1 against other NFL-level talent, so I'd say he's ready to play. He looks like a stud.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Barton's a guy I've never settled in on. He is super-mobile and plays tough, but he is small and frankly lacks power. That's not a dealbreaker at center... it's a much more reactive position than the rest of the OL, and finding your man and getting to him is a huge part of it. You don't need to be an athletic freak and beat TJ Watt in a one-on-one footrace to the corner. But small and weak is not a combo I love to take a first round shot on.

JPJ is a brick outhouse of a man, and pretty much locks up everyone when it comes down to an elevator-sized brawl. Usually centers are your smaller, mobile guys like Barton, so at 320 lbs, JPJ is an uncommonly large and powerful pivot. But he still moves well enough to hit all his assignments No one got an inch on him at Oregon, and no one got an inch on him at the Senior Bowl even when he was lined up 1v1 against other NFL-level talent, so I'd say he's ready to play. He looks like a stud.
That is one reason I like JPJ, if the hips check out. Most of the time the center gets help or gives help, partly because they are usually need the most protection. A center who can lock up and move defenders by himself is a major commodity.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
That is one reason I like JPJ, if the hips check out. Most of the time the center gets help or gives help, partly because they are usually need the most protection. A center who can lock up and move defenders by himself is a major commodity.
The question about his hip is really the only question.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The question about his hip is really the only question.
I'm starting to believe that we'll draft one of the tackles since the first-round group is deep, decide left tackle between Tyler and the new guy, and then pick a center in the third since it's a pretty deep position group. I prefer to get one of the top two centers where we are picking and if they are gone trading down slightly and taking the third one (since there's a decent drop-off to the next group), but I can see this front office valuing the tackles more and believing it can at least find a center as good as Biadasz in that second group.

JeffInDC

Reaction score

Barton is a LEGIT 6’5”; 315 - he’s NOT a small guy

cnuball21

Reaction score
It’s Barton comfortably for me. Just a much better athlete and I think he still gives you the same nasty that JPJ does.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I'm starting to believe that we'll draft one of the tackles since the first-round group is deep, decide left tackle between Tyler and the new guy, and then pick a center in the third since it's a pretty deep position group. I prefer to get one of the top two centers where we are picking and if they are gone trading down slightly and taking the third one (since there's a decent drop-off to the next group), but I can see this front office valuing the tackles more and believing it can at least find a center as good as Biadasz in that second group.
I don’t see this team taking 2 OL in the 1st 3 picks. I think they would take Barton in round 1 and be happy.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don’t see this team taking 2 OL in the 1st 3 picks. I think they would take Barton in round 1 and be happy.
You are probably right. Not having a fourth-round pick is why I think it is a possibility, but it won't surprise me if we go (in some kind of order) OL, RB, DT with those first three picks. Of course, it won't surprise me with this front office if we go TE, TE, TE.

HawaiiCowboy

Reaction score
Thanks. You have all given me so much info. Trying to figure out which players I really want in this draft.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score

Small and lacks power? Where did you get that info from? Nothing I've seen or read has suggested that

“Graham Barton is an instant upgrade at virtually any spot along most NFL offensive lines. A day-one impact starter with consistent all-pro potential.”

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2023/12/21/graham-barton-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2024

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
If Barton is still on the board at 24 I think we have to take him there...I would love a trade back and have him still available. But, most of the teams after 24 would love to have him. Hate to see him land with the 49ers