Grammar Corner

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Believe and think

We use both, often incorrectly.

Believe/belief should be used as in something one feels in the heart, the gut or soul.
"I believe all men and women are inherently good."

Think should be used in an intellectual way, with informed thought, but often as a guess:
"I think the numbers are about right ... If they think they can, they will."

Next time, kids, let's ponder contradictions and redundancies.
...and repetitive thoughts.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No, "yous" is just mostly a NYC/Jersey/Philly thing that gets misappropriated to everyone who lives north of the Mason Dixon lol
As someone who was raised in Northern Jersey, it seemed "yous" or "yous guys" was mostly an Italian thing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A pet peeve for me is the misuse of the words "less" and "fewer". Some beer commercials irritate me when they talk about "less calories". It should be fewer calories. And people do the same thing in every day life. The word "less" should be used with a more broad description, such as "less beer", or "less money" or "less time", whereas "fewer" should be used when referring to specific units of measurement or something that can be expressed numerically, such as "fewer beers" or "fewer dollars" or "fewer days".

Xelda

Reaction score
"We should have went" makes my skin crawl. "Be" instead of "are", "do", "does" or inserted for the hell of it is another. So many that it's hard to narrow down and list.