Great Bledsoe Read - Parcell mention

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Bledsoe carries Bills with his arm
By CHARLES BRICKER, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Only 33 passes Sunday? Is that all Drew Bledsoe threw? On Monday morning his mighty right arm must have felt as if a shiatsu expert had been working it over for an hour.
Who's to say Bledsoe, 30, won't indeed be getting daily massage when the numbing cold hits Buffalo this winter and his number of attempts rolls on past 500, 600, maybe even 700, exceeding the NFL record of 691 he set in 1994? After six weeks, the man who has almost single-handedly carried the Buffalo Bills' offense has thrown 251 passes, and that average of 41.8 a game is enough to make your arm throb just thinking about it.
"We're very cognizant about the number of times Drew has thrown and is likely to throw this season," quarterback coach Steve Kragthorpe said Tuesday. "We monitor that all the time.
"He's still throwing 50 to 60 times in practice, but he had a very good offseason. His arm is very strong."
Nevertheless, Kragthorpe added, there will come a time when the Bills minimize Bledsoe's mid-week workload. They want that magical hand firing as hard in December as it is right now.
The Bills bring only a 3-3 record against the Dolphins on Sunday. Their defense is horrible and their kickoff coverage was gouged for 96- and 98-yard touchdown returns against the Jets.
Yet that only makes Bledsoe's performance this year more remarkable. He leads the NFL in passing yards (2,016), is second with 14 touchdowns, second in completion percentage (66.7), third in quarterback rating (101.3) and has two 400-yard games.
He isn't padding his dossier in a dink-and-dunk offense, either. Bledsoe is throwing downfield to the muscular Eric Moulds (45 catches) and the elusive Peerless Price (43), averaging 8.03 yards per attempt. For the statistically uninitiated, that's a very high number.
What has made the Bledsoe story more compelling is his rebirth after losing his job last season to young, sixth-round quarterback Tom Brady at New England and finding people questioning his future.
"I just can't wait to get back on the field," Bledsoe declared after the draft-day trade that cost the Bills a first-round pick in 2003. "That's the only way I've chosen to answer those questions."
At 6 feet 5 and 240 pounds, it always has been easy for him to play the general on the field, and he has never abdicated that stature, except when it was stripped from him.
Never was Bledsoe more prominent than in the 1996 season, when he took the Patriots to Super Bowl XXXI, where he lost 35-21 to Green Bay. He is, however, coming very close to that same commanding presence this year.
"I've done a lot of good things. I've done a lot of bad things. I've got experience both ways, and I can share that with guys," Bledsoe says. "The most important thing, especially with all the complicated defenses and schemes you face, is that you communicate on every play. Guys look to me for that, and I'm pretty honest. If I don't know the answer, I'll tell them I don't know."
He has had the right answers for almost every pass defense he has faced this year, though he seldom had the right answers for the Dolphins when he played for New England.
In his past six games against Miami, five of them losses, Bledsoe completed only 47.8 percent of his passes. He was sacked 12 times, threw six touchdown passes and was intercepted 12 times.
Of course, the Bills are a new team with better receivers. Still, there is something to be said about the feel the Dolphins' secondary has gotten for Bledsoe's tendencies over the years.
Buffalo offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride has fashioned a multi-layered passing game for his new quarterback. While Moulds and Price are the primary targets, there is also second-round rookie Josh Reed from LSU, who has caught 19 passes and has two touchdowns. And tight end Jay Riemersma. And the ubiquitous fullback Larry Centers, who sometimes appears out of nowhere to catch passes.
After 10 seasons, Bledsoe remains the quintessential pocket quarterback who often gets into trouble when he is forced to roll out. Two weeks ago, his on-the-run pass in the fourth quarter went to rookie cornerback Phillip Buchanon, who ran back 81 yards for the touchdown that sealed a 49-31 Oakland win.
Yet even in the toughest moments this year, Bledsoe has appeared to be an indisputably happy man again. Last year was torture, from the moment Jets linebacker Mo Lewis crashed into him on the sideline, causing internal bleeding and costing him his starting job.
Bledsoe played the good soldier, never savaging the Patriots before or after the trade. There was no need for bitterness because he was treated like a hero when he arrived in Buffalo.
He has responded not only with great throwing but with undeniable leadership. Before the regular season began, he solidified his bond with the offense by initiating 7:30 a.m. meetings with his receivers and backs every Thursday and Friday to study film and check last-minute blocking assignments and pass patterns.
Buffalo general manager Tom Donahoe was persistent in making the trade for Bledsoe. But Phil Simms, the former New York Giants quarterback who now does television commentary, was just as high on the deal.
"It was one of minimal risk and huge upscale. Bledsoe has too much raw talent to be bypassed. I remember covering his first game for NBC and Bill Parcells, who was then the Patriots' coach, said Bledsoe could do stuff nobody else could," Simms said.
"I thought he was crazy. Had he never seen Bert Jones or Terry Bradshaw? But Bill was adamant, and that means something."

Sunday, for the first time in two seasons, the Dolphins will get a look at a quarterback they have sacked and picked clean over the years.
The last time Bledsoe played here, the Patriots were beaten 10-3.
No one in his right mind would predict the Dolphins will keep Bledsoe out of the end zone this time.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Nors said:
Bledsoe has too much raw talent to be bypassed. I remember covering his first game for NBC and Bill Parcells, who was then the Patriots' coach, said Bledsoe could do stuff nobody else could," Simms said.
"I thought he was crazy. Had he never seen Bert Jones or Terry Bradshaw? But Bill was adamant, and that means something."

What exactly is this supposed to do?

Make everyone excited that we replaced Vinny with a slightly better model?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
honestly, whats relevent about this? It's probably close to 10 years old

David

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
I kind of enjoyed the read.
Altough it was an old article it is sometimes interesting to look back.
Also I feel Bledsoe is a better QB than Vinny.
Vinny did very well the first half of the season but then I feel he wore down.
Bledsoe better than Vinny if he is not taking 70 sacks.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
leonargized said:
I kind of enjoyed the read.
Altough it was an old article it is sometimes interesting to look back.
Also I feel Bledsoe is a better QB than Vinny.
Vinny did very well the first half of the season but then I feel he wore down.
Bledsoe better than Vinny if he is not taking 70 sacks.

Bledsoe is younger than VT and has a stronger arm, but he sure didnt play much better last yr (if any better)...I hope he is better here, but when your in a win or else game, at home, against another teams backups and you stink up the joint...there are issues

David

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
honestly, whats relevent about this? It's probably close to 10 years old

David

I'd say its about three since it mentions Bledsoe being 30. It is somewhat irrelevant though as it appears to be written during his one good season in Buffalo.

I'd be more interested in reading why he declined so much in the subsequent two years.

Alexander

Reaction score
Nors said:
And a Parcells comment at the end that is telling.

It was something Coach Parcells said in passing to Phil Simms years ago.

And this means what to our current situation?

Nothing?

That is what I thought.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I think it's interesting. It shows how quickly perceptions can change. Two and a half years ago and people were saying that Bledsoe was a steal and potential saviour for the Bills. Now people are saying we got some washed up journeyman. Maybe the situation in Buffalo was just not a good one for Drew and he can get back to being perceived as a high quality QB. If he does then we're going to be laughing at a lot of people this year.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
It was something Coach Parcells said in passing to Phil Simms years ago.

And this means what to our current situation?

Nothing?

That is what I thought.

Bill Parcells, who was then the Patriots' coach, said Bledsoe could do stuff nobody else could," Simms said.
"I thought he was crazy

I have seen Bledsoe live at least 30 times and concur with BP. Its all about maximizing his strengths and avoiding his weaknesses. Parcells is GREAT at that!

Alexander

Reaction score
Nors said:
I have seen Bledsoe live at least 30 times and concur with BP. Its all about maximizing his strengths and avoiding his weaknesses. Parcells is GREAT at that!

Coach Parcells was great at maximizing Quincy Carter's and Vinny Testeverde's strengths and weaknesses.

That does not mean I want to see it again.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
Bill Parcells, who was then the Patriots' coach, said Bledsoe could do stuff nobody else could," Simms said.
"I thought he was crazy

I agree with that. This is the best situation for Bledsoe and I think he knew it. BP managed to get some what decent years out of miserable QBs like VT and QC. I hope he can bring Bledsoe back to form.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
"I thought he was crazy

Nors...

This article is three freaking years old!

Why don't you dig up something on how great Red Grange was too?

Geez... give it rest already.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Nors...

This article is three freaking years old!

Why don't you dig up something on how great Red Grange was too?

Geez... give it rest already.

A good read, good Parcells comment. Is relevant.

Evenin Mikey

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
If I post an article from 1997 when Vinny was playing well, it won't mean he is still as good.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
in any game, if bledsoe has significantly more than 25 attempts - i am likely to have the "monday-after-a-cowboys-loss" blues.

the guy is a seasoned vet that could pull us out of a "situation" or two or three...

but, IMO, our fortunes better lay with the defense and run game.

billknows

Reaction score
junk said:
I agree with that. This is the best situation for Bledsoe and I think he knew it. BP managed to get some what decent years out of miserable QBs like VT and QC. I hope he can bring Bledsoe back to form.

Ya know.......i think something pretty good might come to drew and Dallas,I just have a feeling, I still like Henson but another yr. as back-up may be the ticket. I actually think Bledsoe will do better than some think,warm weather and Parcell's.......

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:
I'd say its about three since it mentions Bledsoe being 30. It is somewhat irrelevant though as it appears to be written during his one good season in Buffalo.

I'd be more interested in reading why he declined so much in the subsequent two years.

How about changing of coaching staff, losing a key WR in Price the lack of a quality TE. There are a number of reason why a QB numbers can fall off, ask Aikman as his weapons started to leave due to age or retirement Troy's numbers fell as well. I don't doubt that Bledsoe is not the same QB as he was as a younger man but I also know that the people around you can affect the job the QB does. Bledsoe is now with us and we can offer up some quality players at WR, at TE and RB. Before people completely write him off lets see what he can do here in Dallas.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Coach Parcells was great at maximizing Quincy Carter's and Vinny Testeverde's strengths and weaknesses.

That does not mean I want to see it again.
For your own well-being, and mental health, ... find another team.

Or even better, buy your own.