Great Job Jerry Jones and Cowboy Org.

Murph80

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen Jones have done a great job with the salary cap. There are teams in the league that are pretty much done for 2006. :clap2: :bravo:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
the Commanders being one of them...maybe jerry knew exactly what he was doing

Eddie

Reaction score
Murph80 said:
Jerry and Stephen Jones have done a great job with the salary cap. There are teams in the league that are pretty much done for 2006. :clap2: :bravo:

Yeah, let's slap ourselves in the back for not forking it up like they did in the early 90's.

There are about 20 teams in better cap situation than ours ... but great job!!!:banghead:

Murph80

Reaction score
Eddie said:
Yeah, let's slap ourselves in the back for not forking it up like they did in the early 90's.

There are about 20 teams in better cap situation than ours ... but great job!!!:banghead:
I would love for you to name 20 teams in better cap situation then us. Around 15mil under the cap is very good.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Eddie said:

Not true, cutting Glover added 6 milion, Dat retiring 1.8, after we restructer Rivera and Furgason that should add an amazing 9.6 million added to our existing 2 million, over 18 million is near the top of the entire league.:eek:

davey999

Reaction score
Murph80 said:
I would love for you to name 20 teams in better cap situation then us. Around 15mil under the cap is very good.

Then why are we cutting guys?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
davey999 said:
Then why are we cutting guys?

Are you serious? The only significant cut we made was Glover.

You tell me, is it wise to pay a player 8 million dollars (or whatever it was) that doesn't fit your scheme and is now a backup?

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Future 585 said:
the Commanders being one of them...maybe jerry knew exactly what he was doing

Actually Dan has known what he is doing and we will be just fine

Here is a quote from Jon Jansen's agent (who has no incentive to paint a rosy picture, what does he care about our cap as long as his guy gets paid)

Rick Smith, Jansen's agent, said yesterday the Commanders contacted him about a week ago and termed the talks "pretty easy."
"They have a plan and they'll get it done," he said. "They weren't desperate. I don't know why there was this big doomsday [outlook] for them. They'll get to where they need to get."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20060304-120856-7320r.htm

But don't let facts get in the way

burmafrd

Reaction score
We were about 2 million under before we did anything. Dat gains us 1.2 I think (660,000 counting this year); GLover is around 6; restructuring the never attainable incentives from Rivera and Ferguson gives us 9 something.
So yeah around 18 million. And we could get some more from LA.
So we could have 20 million. Need to keep about 5 of that back to sign our own guys and take care of the rookies. Maybe a little more. Say 7.
So that gives us around 13 million to actually shop with. THAT is enough for one BIG deal; or 2-3 medium deals. Personally I would make a BIG run at Bentley= a 26 year old Pro Bowl Center just does not come around very often. If that does not work out, then get the best Tackle, Kicker and FS we can. Then draft LB and TE and maybe NT - I would love to get GIlles as a possible LA successor, but one cannot have everything.

burmafrd

Reaction score
And agents are such reliable sources for such news?
If it was so easy, why were so many EXPERTS saying otherwise?
Not columnists, but actual CAP guys from other teams.
Danny boy is NOT that smart.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan said:

Here is a quote from Jon Jansen's agent (who has no incentive to paint a rosy picture, what does he care about our cap as long as his guy gets paid)

Rick Smith, Jansen's agent, said yesterday the Commanders contacted him about a week ago and termed the talks "pretty easy."
"They have a plan and they'll get it done," he said. "They weren't desperate. I don't know why there was this big doomsday [outlook] for them. They'll get to where they need to get."

Getting under the cap is one thing. Not having to release quality depth and being able to sign quality FAs are another. Just the facts, m'am.

SacredStar

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan said:

Funny...it seems that all the experts, all the analysts, all the people who know anything about the cap say the skins are in big trouble, but yet the skins fans are the only people in the entire world saying they are not in cap trouble.

I'll believe the experts over a homer fan. But thanks for your opinion.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I thought the restructuring was contingent on a new CBA. That if there wasn't then it all hit the fan.

lcharles

Negativity King
Reaction score
Lets say the skins keep exactly what they have without being able to sign top free agents (oh and that little thing about not having a first round pick)

And we on the other hand have 18 million in cap space with a first and possibly solid free agent signings.....I like our chances next year.

Hope the skins had fun last year. time to start eating our dust again.:lmao2:

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
lcharles said:
Lets say the skins keep exactly what they have without being able to sign top free agents (oh and that little thing about not having a first round pick)

And we on the other hand have 18 million in cap space with a first and possibly solid free agent signings.....I like our chances next year.

Hope the skins had fun last year. time to start eating our dust again.:lmao2:

Didn't you sign some big FA's last year?

Reaction score
Signing Rivera was "iffy" to me but I'll go along with it for another year then you'll hear me scream if he's injured again.

Eddie

Reaction score
Why do we love patting ourselves in the back??? Before cutting a Pro Bowl DT, we were $2 mil under the cap. Is that such a big hurrah?

If you guys need a list of teams in BETTER cap situation than us, then YOU do the search. But I'm not gonna pat myself on the back and say, "Hey, great job Jerry Jones ... for NOT f*cking things up like you've done from 1995-2005."

How about patting the Arizona Cardinals on the back? They're $20 mil under the cap WITHOUT any cuts. They're not cutting any Pro Bowl players to get under the cap.

Sorry, regardless of what we think of Glover's role, we lost a major contributor to this Defense. I would congratulate JJ if we were able to keep Glover AND be significantly under the cap ... but I guess we gotta feed under achievers like Fergi and Old Man Rivera, and meanwhile lose one of the best players on our D.

Great work!!!