Greatest American Rock Band

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Eagles officially took over the #1 selling album in the US with their Greatest Hits 71-75 with sales at 38M, not too shabby, But that started a minor debate in that thread about other bands so I thought a thread just about American bands should settle this and remember, the ruling by the judges will be final.

So, what band is the greatest American Rock band of all time? And this is your opinion, you don't need sales or stats, just what you think makes your band the greatest.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aerosmith has to be considered.

I would add The Beach Boys (even if you don't care for their music).

CCR

Metallica

Van Halen

The Doors

ZZ Top

Really dislike the next band I list but they were/are a juggernaut for some..>Lynrd Skynrd

As great as they are, I think the next band is still always UNDERrated...Bob Seger and the silver bullet band.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Aerosmith. They started out raw and gritty, which was such an awesome rock sound, and they adapted with the times, changing their style and experiencing a longevity rarely seen. Personally, I prefer the pre-sobriety stuff, by a long shot, but it's hard to argue with fact that people keep buying their music. I also think Steven Tyler is the best American rock front man, making a great show out of every concert.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Should the Allman Brothers Band be in the mix, or should Southern Rock/Blues be in a different category?.......This ain't easy, CC.

roughneck266

Reaction score
Van Halen should certainly be in the conversation, as should Creedence.
Yeah, for me there are probably 50 of them. Too many different styles to choose from. Hard to leave Hendrix out of the conversation, or as mentioned above, the Beach Boys. Not a fan of their music, but there influence is so widespread it cannot be denied in my opinion.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to pick for me. Metallica is up there, so is Van Halen, Creedance, The Chili Peppers, problem is there are so many flavors of rock, it's hard to leave it at one.
It is hard roughneck, but rules are rules.

Look at it this way, you are going to be shipwrecked on a deserted island and only allowed the music of one American band. Now, you are only going to be there for 5 years so all is not lost; however, I will be returning you to that island for another 5 years, after a conjugal visit to keep the native animals on the island safe, with only the music of a Funk band.

So, pick.

Xelda

Reaction score
Creedence Clearwater even though they didn't put out much music before breaking up.
Bon Jovi has had a long run with a lot of good hits. Yes they did. Did too!
I'd have to see a list to make a choice based on my particular tastes.

I'm with you BrAin, I can't stand the Beach Boys. Not a single song. I always changed stations when they'd come on.

roughneck266

Reaction score
It is hard roughneck, but rules are rules.

Look at it this way, you are going to be shipwrecked on a deserted island and only allowed the music of one American band. Now, you are only going to be there for 5 years so all is not lost; however, I will be returning you to that island for another 5 years, after a conjugal visit to keep the native animals on the island safe, with only the music of a Funk band.

So, pick.
Under those rules, I will go with Aerosmith. If for no other reason than they have about a million songs, and there is a big enough difference between the early and later years, it's almost like having more than one band.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Under those rules, I will go with Aerosmith. If for no other reason than they have about a million songs, and there is a big enough difference between the early and later years, it's almost like having more than one band.
Good strategy as well, get a little variety on that island.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I’d say Aerosmith. Too bad AC/DC isn’t from America ...because they really got that good old American rock thing down pat. Just dirty old white boy in jeans driving your muscle car,and telling the man to go stick it music. Looool

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Aerosmith has to be considered.

I would add The Beach Boys (even if you don't care for their music).

CCR

Metallica

Van Halen

The Doors

ZZ Top

Really dislike the next band I list but they were/are a juggernaut for some..>Lynrd Skynrd

As great as they are, I think the next band is still always UNDERrated...Bob Seger and the silver bullet band.

I would throw the Red Hot Chili Peppers into this and even Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Your list and these guys just cranked out hit after hit after hit. If Axle wasn't hell bent on rail-roading GNR...

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I cannot believe nobody has said The Eagles...

blindzebra

Reaction score
This really requires a definition for rock. There are too many genres that can fit under rock. The Eagles are not what I would call rock, but they would be high on the list. Same goes for REM and The Beach Boys. Is grunge rock? Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, and Alice in Chains can all be included if the answer is yes. Does Fleetwood Mac fit under American band, since without Stevie and Lindsey they would not even be mentioned.

Maybe we should do it by regions? Southern rock, NE rock, midwest, and west coast?

NE: Aerosmith, Boston, Kiss, The Ramones, Talking Heads
South: Eagles, CCR, Skynard, ABB, REM
MW: Chicago, Styx, REO Speed Wagon, ZZ Top
WC: Beach Boys, Nirvana, Chillipeppers, Van Halen, Pearl Jam