Greatest American Rock Band

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This really requires a definition for rock. There are too many genres that can fit under rock. The Eagles are not what I would call rock, but they would be high on the list. Same goes for REM and The Beach Boys. Is grunge rock? Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, and Alice in Chains can all be included if the answer is yes. Does Fleetwood Mac fit under American band, since without Stevie and Lindsey they would not even be mentioned.

Maybe we should do it by regions? Southern rock, NE rock, midwest, and west coast?

NE: Aerosmith, Boston, Kiss, The Ramones, Talking Heads
South: Eagles, CCR, Skynard, ABB, REM
MW: Chicago, Styx, REO Speed Wagon, ZZ Top
WC: Beach Boys, Nirvana, Chillipeppers, Van Halen, Pearl Jam
ZZ Top wouldn't be South?

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Aerosmith. They started out raw and gritty, which was such an awesome rock sound, and they adapted with the times, changing their style and experiencing a longevity rarely seen. Personally, I prefer the pre-sobriety stuff, by a long shot, but it's hard to argue with fact that people keep buying their music. I also think Steven Tyler is the best American rock front man, making a great show out of every concert.

Until I was in my 20's I thought it was "Do the funky lady." Hearing that it was "dude looks like a lady" made it an entirely new song for me.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Only because of the *******ized country music we currently have. I agree they sound like just about all country artist today. Which kills both sounds with one stone.
Well, I think they're much better than modern country could ever hope to be. The Eagles' music stands the test of time. Hell, this thread was prompted by the fact that their Greatest Hits album is now the best selling album of all time.
I love their music.... I just have a hard time thinking of it as rock.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Well, I think they're much better than modern country could ever hope to be. The Eagles' music stands the test of time. Hell, this thread was prompted by the fact that their Greatest Hits album is now the best selling album of all time.
I love their music.... I just have a hard time thinking of it as rock.

That was kind of my point. That their sound was so great these Country groups ripped it off and rebranded it "Country". It sounds nothing like country music and sounds like rock music. Thanks to the greatness of the eagles they have actually spawned their own genre of hipster country music.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
For me The Doors or Janes Addiction. I'd like to see any singer who gets mentioned for the greatest 'american band' sing Pigs In Zen or Had A Dad, the way Perry Farrell could do back in the day. I saw Janes back in 1989 (Portland, OR), and during Pigs In Zen Perry jumped into the slam pit and fell right on top of me. That concert changed my life.

Last edited:

DanteEXT

Reaction score
This really requires a definition for rock. There are too many genres that can fit under rock. The Eagles are not what I would call rock, but they would be high on the list. Same goes for REM and The Beach Boys. Is grunge rock? Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, and Alice in Chains can all be included if the answer is yes. Does Fleetwood Mac fit under American band, since without Stevie and Lindsey they would not even be mentioned.

Maybe we should do it by regions? Southern rock, NE rock, midwest, and west coast?

What about punk?

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Lenny Kravitz
Carlos Santana
ZZ Top
Journey

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

OK, bz, got ya down for 19 bands. Interesting that you decided to regionalize them instead of era or genre. However, CCR is from the Bay Area and must be moved to the WC and the Eagles are CA so they need to move to the WC but you can move ZZ Top to the South.

If I could change the headline, I think I would go for era because that seems easier. What the hell. ya know what we need? A Battle of the Bands. 70's, 80's, 90's, aught aughts and might even go this decade.

I agree that this is too broad and wasn't thinking when I started the thread but in my defense, I saw nothing in the rules about thinking before starting a thread. And if I am going to be singled out, I want a conference with the authorities.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Boss.
I was wondering when he would show up. Of all the musical artists that I have been exposed to over my life, he is the one I would like to hear tackle different genres with his own style. He could do every genre from country to metal.

Country, you say? This is one of the greatest country songs never played on country radio and any man that ever lost a woman to another man, this could be his anthem.

Ain't it strange? I've got every album he ever recorded, saw him 3 times live performing monster hits but this is the best song I think he ever recorded with a haunting guitar fade that just stays with you.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was wondering when he would show up. Of all the musical artists that I have been exposed to over my life, he is the one I would like to hear tackle different genres with his own style. He could do every genre from country to metal.

Country, you say? This is one of the greatest country songs never played on country radio and any man that ever lost a woman to another man, this could be his anthem.

Ain't it strange? I've got every album he ever recorded, saw him 3 times live performing monster hits but this is the best song I think he ever recorded with a haunting guitar fade that just stays with you.

He’s so legit. He’s a victim of his own huge success in a way, but great songs, amazing lyricist, great arrangements, good musicianship and a hell of an entertainer.