Greatest American Rock Band

blindzebra

Reaction score
OK, bz, got ya down for 19 bands. Interesting that you decided to regionalize them instead of era or genre. However, CCR is from the Bay Area and must be moved to the WC and the Eagles are CA so they need to move to the WC but you can move ZZ Top to the South.

If I could change the headline, I think I would go for era because that seems easier. What the hell. ya know what we need? A Battle of the Bands. 70's, 80's, 90's, aught aughts and might even go this decade.

I agree that this is too broad and wasn't thinking when I started the thread but in my defense, I saw nothing in the rules about thinking before starting a thread. And if I am going to be singled out, I want a conference with the authorities.
CCR and the Eagles were country/rock and that is why they are in the south, and Frey was from Michigan and Henley is a Texan.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band...........though I don't particularly care for him/them.

Yea but still not a group IMO. If that is the case, then Prince was a group too. Lots of solo artists have their own bands but it does not qualify as a "group" to me.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yea but still not a group IMO. If that is the case, then Prince was a group too. Lots of solo artists have their own bands but it does not qualify as a "group" to me.
But I don't think Bruce ever plays without the E Street Band (I could be wrong) which would make it a band.....Like the Steve Miller Band, just not named after him.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But I don't think Bruce ever plays without the E Street Band (I could be wrong) which would make it a band.....Like the Steve Miller Band, just not named after him.

It is a gray area but I consider him in the solo artist category. Groups/bands usually consist of 3-5 people where each has a recognizable name most know. Also, each member has a special skill and take turns being in front. KISS, Van Halen, Crue, Aerosmith are examples. I don't consider a guy singing with a background band in the back as a group. Just my definition and sticking to it! :)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is a gray area but I consider him in the solo artist category. Groups/bands usually consist of 3-5 people where each has a recognizable name most know. Also, each member has a special skill and take turns being in front. KISS, Van Halen, Crue, Aerosmith are examples. I don't consider a guy singing with a background band in the back as a group. Just my definition and sticking to it! :)
Like I said, I don't care for him (and I grew up in Jersey)....That said, I'm pretty sure his band mates are well known to fans, and even I know who Clarence Clemons is.

What say yee, Judge @CouchCoach ?

cowboyec

Reaction score
Lynyrd Skynyrd.
their sound....they make you feel it.
as Elvis would say...it's gotta come from somewhere down deep.
as a band...Skynyrd's music came from the gutt.
Favorite album:Second Helping.....Call Me The Breeze and Swamp Music.....the rhythm on those 2 songs....straight outta Graceland!!!!!

cowboyec

Reaction score
when they split and Springsteen put out those solo albums in the early 90s....Tunnel of Love,Leap of Faith,etc...he used a totally different group.

cowboyec

Reaction score
He’s so legit. He’s a victim of his own huge success in a way, but great songs, amazing lyricist, great arrangements, good musicianship and a hell of an entertainer.
he jumped the wall at Graceland...ran past the guard and made it up to the front door.
he wanted to meet Elvis and tell him what a big inspiration he was.He was told that the day before...Elvis left for Vegas.
rumor has it he had a song he wanted to give to Elvis.
I dont think Bruce has ever verified that part about the song but tells the story all the time.
If the song part is true...I bet it was Fire.
Love Springsteen....he helped me heal from the wounds of Aug 16,1977.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Max Weinberg, Steven Van Sandt , Nils Lofgren, Clarence Clemons. Some pretty good musicians who’ve played with him for, what? 50 years?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Max Weinberg, Steven Van Sandt , Nils Lofgren, Clarence Clemons. Some pretty good musicians who’ve played with him for, what? 50 years?
Did not know Nils Lofgren or Steven Van Sandt played with him....That's interesting!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said, I don't care for him (and I grew up in Jersey)....That said, I'm pretty sure his band mates are well known to fans, and even I know who Clarence Clemons is.

What say yee, Judge @CouchCoach ?
What do I say? I am starting new threads. One for each decade so we can narrow our arguments.

Last edited:

sean10mm

Reaction score
It is hard roughneck, but rules are rules.

Look at it this way, you are going to be shipwrecked on a deserted island and only allowed the music of one American band. Now, you are only going to be there for 5 years so all is not lost; however, I will be returning you to that island for another 5 years, after a conjugal visit to keep the native animals on the island safe, with only the music of a Funk band.

So, pick.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Incredibly innovative and influential, but also they recorded more great songs on 3 albums from 1967-1968 than most "great" bands do across entire decades. They didn't invent "heavy" music, but they simultaneously overpowered everyone else playing around with it AND were more sophisticated to boot. Heck, listen to some modern squiggly shredders try to cover Hendrix TODAY and they almost always come out sounding like idiots, because hitting all the notes on the transcription barely gets you halfway there, and playing it twice as fast doesn't help with it.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Incredibly innovative and influential, but also they recorded more great songs on 3 albums from 1967-1968 than most "great" bands do across entire decades. They didn't invent "heavy" music, but they simultaneously overpowered everyone else playing around with it AND were more sophisticated to boot. Heck, listen to some modern squiggly shredders try to cover Hendrix TODAY and they almost always come out sounding like idiots, because hitting all the notes on the transcription barely gets you halfway there, and playing it twice as fast doesn't help with it.
Stevie Ray could do it with ease

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This really requires a definition for rock. There are too many genres that can fit under rock. The Eagles are not what I would call rock, but they would be high on the list. Same goes for REM and The Beach Boys. Is grunge rock? Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, and Alice in Chains can all be included if the answer is yes. Does Fleetwood Mac fit under American band, since without Stevie and Lindsey they would not even be mentioned.

Maybe we should do it by regions? Southern rock, NE rock, midwest, and west coast?

NE: Aerosmith, Boston, Kiss, The Ramones, Talking Heads
South: Eagles, CCR, Skynard, ABB, REM
MW: Chicago, Styx, REO Speed Wagon, ZZ Top
WC: Beach Boys, Nirvana, Chillipeppers, Van Halen, Pearl Jam

I agree with your list, but CCR is not from the South. They're from California. Easy mistake to make, though, they totally sound like a roots rock Cajun band from Louisiana.