Greatest opening to a rock song?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Stautner;3901633 said:
Tommy James and the Shondells get credit for this one.

I don't think so. We've already covered this. It's not who originally wrote it. It's about the best opening. No doubt, JJ and the Blackharts intro is light years better. If you listen to the Shondells, that slow intro will almost put you to sleep if your not careful and Tommy James is literally getting his back side kicked to the curb by Joan Jett, who is much, much prettier Ernie.

;)

Stautner

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3901641 said:
I don't think so. We've already covered this. It's not who originally wrote it. It's about the best opening. No doubt, JJ and the Blackharts intro is light years better. If you listen to the Shondells, that slow intro will almost put you to sleep if your not careful and Tommy James is literally getting his back side kicked to the curb by Joan Jett, who is much, much prettier Ernie.

;)

I agree that Joan Jett's was better, but it wasn't because it was really different. It was a slightly edgier variation, but essentially the same opening that Tommy james did. It was the body of the song much more than the into where Joan Jett really took the song up a notch.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Stautner;3901646 said:
I agree that Joan Jett's was better, but it wasn't because it was really different. It was a slightly edgier variation, but essentially the same opening that Tommy james did. It was the body of the song much more than the into where Joan Jett really took the song up a notch.

It's really amazing how that changes the whole song. Plus, I still have a thing for Joan Jett circa 1991 or so.

:laugh2:

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;3900729 said:
Exactly. You want a Maiden song with a great intro, Where Eagles Dare is not where you should be looking. (that was embarrassing!) The Trooper is a WAY BETTER choice.

Boy,how clueless of you...there is a reason they opened the Piece of Mind album with Where Eagles Dare,with a thunderous drum intro for the fans to get acquainted with the new drummer....but in reality,I was not expecting you to know that piece of info...how embarrassing!

tecolote

Reaction score
Great choices so far, I love these two,

[youtube]B8j6bHnWRjs[/youtube]

and

[youtube]uDkBzkA9L4s[/youtube]

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Aikmaniac;3900195 said:
Amarillo, I like where you're going...

[youtube]bg92QpjRcJk[/youtube]

This one gets my vote. Unmistakeable intro that get my blood flowing every time I hear it.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
[youtube]dfkG1sqxpeg[/youtube]

The Intro Music for the UFC kicks some serious tail as well. Face the Music by Stemm

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
Going back...way back...way way back...

Elvis singing "Heartbreak Hotel".

I just love those first few lines and the way he sang them..

reddyuta

Reaction score
[youtube]xbJQT2eDseA[/youtube]

one of my favorite zeppelin songs.

reddyuta

Reaction score
[youtube]IcsaBKoK9-o[/youtube]

Cliff burton was awesome on For whom the bell tolls,check out this live version.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
reddyuta;3901763 said:
[youtube]xbJQT2eDseA[/youtube]

one of my favorite zeppelin songs.

Nice...the drum sound in that song is just massive.

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
The lead singer for Korn raided Axl's closet or vice versa..not much of a fan of theirs but that song kicks it.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3901811 said:

I think Bonzos drum sound is one of the most sampled{aka stolen}drum tracks in history.
The drum track for this was played at the bottom of a huge stairwell at headley grange with the microphones being placed at the top for the distinctive sound.
Btw this a female Zep tribute band called Zeperella doing when the levee breaks and doing a outstanding job i might add!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH-_9cwdLug
:bow:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3901811 said:

A song I really like that has great drumming is Live Undead.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Vtwin;3901302 said:
Now you got me thinking.

[youtube]U_qHU_6Ofc0[/youtube]

+1 on this. Love Funk 49.

Also, this is one of my all time favorite guitar intros.

[youtube]Uo6IJxh130U[/youtube]