Greatest Rock and Roll concert ever?

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Since we're on music topics, lets get serious.

I will hold off a little on my selection since i doubt anyone will mention it.

There's so many great shows that have taken place, if you want to name a few it's all good.

I'm hoping to see a few listed that i never knew about.

:popcorn:

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Are these shows we attended personally, or ones we've seen on TV? If it's the latter, my #1 would be Queen at Live Aid & #2 Metallica in Russia
Good question. Sorry i didn't clarify earlier.

I would say to make your pick on best ever not what you attended. There could be cases where it's both, rare but possible.

I should also mention the concert should be one main band not a show of many bands, but since we're starting with Woodstock/many bands i would counter Woodstock with Live Aid. Yes topic should be one main band with one opening band if needed. Like The Who 82 with The Clash opening at Shea Stadium. Which i believe is one of the best concerts ever but not my pick.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most fun one I have watched was ELO at Wembley. That crowd was having the most fun of any I ever saw.

The best in person was Dan Fogelberg. He played 3 hours non stop, had the entire Session as his band and when they took a break, he went acoustic with his guitar or piano. When I look back over all of them, he is the artist that stands out the most to me as complete, words, music, voice and could play every instrument and did on his 2nd album. There are just people here for a purpose and he was here to make music and that was cut far too short.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good question. Sorry i didn't clarify earlier.

I would say to make your pick on best ever not what you attended. There could be cases where it's both, rare but possible.

I should also mention the concert should be one main band not a show of many bands, but since we're starting with Woodstock/many bands i would counter Woodstock with Live Aid. Yes topic should be one main band with one opening band if needed. Like The Who 82 with The Clash opening at Shea Stadium. Which i believe is one of the best concerts ever but not my pick.
Maybe one band's performance, whether it was Woodstock, Live Aid, etc? For instance, as I said, Queen at Live Aid, or Janis at Woodstock.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Pains me to say that Bruce did this show outside of NJ. Awesome performance. A person could dislike Bruce's music but his live performances are insane and almost unmatched.

cowboyec

Reaction score

june 10,1972.
his best live album.
4 consecutive sell-outs.
1st solo artist to do that.
these garden shows are awesome.
this one...the saturday night show...is the best.

Last edited:

triplets_93

Reaction score
The Greatest Rock'nRoll Concert is subjective.

But "The Greatest" it would have to be a concert that you were at.

Because, in my experience, no matter how great a recorded concert sounds, or looks, none of that is ever greater than the best concerts that I have experienced in person.

So, my bias is 70's bands, when I was a teen and a young adult.

My favorite band was Led Zeppelin.

And so, the Greatest R&R Concert I have ever heard, was in August of 1970, at the Ft. Worth TCCC. It was Led Zeppelin, and I was 14, and that was my first rock concert. And, it was a good one!!

There is no bootleg or film of that concert. Just my testimony to you of what an over the top experience that was, and what a high bar that was, for all of the other rock concerts I would later see.

cowboyec

Reaction score

march 25,1961.
hawaii.
pearl harbor memorial benefit concert.
incredible set-list.
incredible band.

rca officially released this show on the silver anniversary box set back in the 80s.

it was first released on bootlegg...one of the most historic and coveted of the Elvis bootlegg albums.

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
hope you guys kept your ticket stubs from these shows.

i have an un-used ticket from Elvis' march 25,1977 concert at the lloyd noble arena in norman,oklahoma.
i have it in a frame with a photo taken from that show...i also have a set of candids taken as well.
i'm on the hunt for the bootlegg cd released a few years ago.

the holy grail for me is the bootlegg "go cat go"...Elvis' nov 17,1970 concert from state fairgrounds arena here in oklahoma city.
i have several candids taken from the audience as well.
if i could take a time machine to a show...its this one for me.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
hope you guys kept your ticket stubs from these shows.

i have an un-used ticket from Elvis' march 25,1977 concert at the lloyd noble arena in norman,oklahoma.
i have it in a frame with a photo taken from that show...i also have a set of candids taken as well.
i'm on the hunt for the bootlegg cd released a few years ago.

the holy grail for me is the bootlegg "go cat go"...Elvis' nov 17,1970 concert from state fairgrounds arena here in oklahoma city.
i have several candids taken from the audience as well.
if i could take a time machine to a show...its this one for me.
Awesome! :thumbup:

Wish i had my ticket stubs!

pete026

Reaction score
No way to pick one but I would say CSNY at Big Sur. For the music, the special audience if you recognize some of them, and the atmosphere/location. Price wasn't too bad - $4 a person. I also love this song.

Jimi Hendrix first major appearance in US at the Monterey Pop Festival.

And a relatively unknown. The start of a group called Grand Funk Railroad at the Atlanta Pop Festival. They got a record deal outta this appearance and 2 years later, sold out Shea Stadium faster than the Beatles. This isn't from that concert but a live version of Heartbreaker.