Greatness Perspective: CeeDee passes Bullet

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You may have missed this interesting stat yesterday: Cedee Lamb passed the great Bullet Bob Hayes’ 55 year team record with the most receptions by a rookie WR- the old record being 46. Cedee now has 48. And he did it in just 10 games. This is rare air Mr. Lamb has entered.

But I also want to take a moment to put Bob Hayes’ greatness in perspective. In his 1965 rookie year, Bullet had 46 receptions for 1,003 yards, averaging a whopping 21.8 yards per reception, and had 12 receiving TDs plus a rushing TD in 13 games. This was done during an era when the passing game was not the dominant force it is today. Hayes also averaged nearly 13 yards per punt return that year. And his amazing speed produced 76 receiving TDs in his HOF career, including 5 TDs over 80 yards! And, he averaged 20 yards a reception...for his career!

Hats off to Cedee Lamb. And I’m happy to say that I was wrong about what he would accomplish this year. I had him catching about 40 passes in 16 games. I was wrong.

Here’s to a bunch more Cedee!
It also might be worth mentioning the Cowboys only played 12 games a season then.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
You may have missed this interesting stat yesterday: Cedee Lamb passed the great Bullet Bob Hayes’ 55 year team record with the most receptions by a rookie WR- the old record being 46. Cedee now has 48. And he did it in just 10 games. This is rare air Mr. Lamb has entered.

But I also want to take a moment to put Bob Hayes’ greatness in perspective. In his 1965 rookie year, Bullet had 46 receptions for 1,003 yards, averaging a whopping 21.8 yards per reception, and had 12 receiving TDs plus a rushing TD in 13 games. This was done during an era when the passing game was not the dominant force it is today. Hayes also averaged nearly 13 yards per punt return that year. And his amazing speed produced 76 receiving TDs in his HOF career, including 5 TDs over 80 yards! And, he averaged 20 yards a reception...for his career!

Hats off to Cedee Lamb. And I’m happy to say that I was wrong about what he would accomplish this year. I had him catching about 40 passes in 16 games. I was wrong.

Cool read and breakdown of Bob Hayes and now get more why he was so great after never having the opp to see him play. 46 for 1,000 is crazy but then finish your career with nearly the same avg kind of puts into perspective how great he was. Good stuff!

RS12

Reaction score
When Bob Hayes was playing, was it the pass happy league that it is now?
When you are really bored and have some time to kill I would suggest watching some games on YouTube from the 60s to 70s. Much more balanced offense than today.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
My bullet bob story:

As a young man I was late getting to the Bob Hayes festivities at the Iraan (Texas) Alley Ooop Days celebration.
I was assigned to take photos of the most famous guy in Texas.
I caught up to him inside the museum where he was chatting up local yokels and implore him to come outside and sit on the Dino statue.
He turned, and in a half gentle half agitated way said "Where you been at man? I already done rode that dinosaur."
The photo I got instead was of Bob talking to three local VIPs all looking at the camera.
Mick Jagger was correct. You can't always get what you want.
Later, I walked rejected my to my company car, rolled a chubby and drove home through the most desolate rock and canyon country imaginable. And then I got high.

conner01

Reaction score
Man it was a great year for WRs. Lamb, DK Metcalf, Jefferson, Reagor, Jeudy, Claypool...lots of talent.
One of the best in decades
Some super talented players
We need this year to have that much talent at DT lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

There are probably over 6 rookie WR's just this year that will break that record.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

And CeeDee did this with a QB carousel, OL looking more like a swinging gate, along with no off-season to speak of.

The question I have Bob is this. What is the rookie yards for their first season for WR's on this team?

Just for some perspective, Michael Irvin had 32 catches for 654 yards and 5 TDs his rookie year.

Drew Pearson had 22 for 388 and 2 TDs.

We are witnessing greatness because currently in ten games CD has 48 catches for 629 yards and 4 TDs.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And CeeDee did this with a QB carousel, OL looking more like a swinging gate, along with no off-season to speak of.

The question I have Bob is this. What is the rookie yards for their first season for WR's on this team?

Just for some perspective, Michael Irvin had 32 catches for 654 yards and 5 TDs his rookie year.

Drew Pearson had 22 for 388 and 2 TDs.

We are witnessing greatness because currently in ten games CD has 48 catches for 629 yards and 4 TDs.
Bob Hayes still holds the team rookie receiving yardage record at 1,003. Cedee still has 6 games to get about 400 yards to pass Bullet. One record no Cowboys rookie has broken is Hayes’ record of 13 total TDs his rookie year. Emmitt had 11 his rookie year. So far, Cedee has 4 TDs, so doubtful he will catch up there.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can’t remember if I made a prediction for Lamb this year or not... but if I did it was a significant number because I had big expectations for that kid. Even though I had high hopes for him, he’s exceedeeing my expectations.

The guy is going to be a great, great player for a long time.

Is he ExCeeDeeing your expectations?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
What do you think about his first down maneuver. It looks like he's slicking back his moustache.

I really like this kid. He has a love for the game that seems infectious. Gallup and Cooper and Schultz always are around him after a catch.