Greatness Perspective: CeeDee passes Bullet

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go to YouTube and watch some Bob Hayes highlights. He wasn’t just an Olympic sprinter playing football. He was a real football player with world class speed. And he’s the only player in NFL history to have both an individual Olympic gold medal and a SB ring.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You may have missed this interesting stat yesterday: Cedee Lamb passed the great Bullet Bob Hayes’ 55 year team record with the most receptions by a rookie WR- the old record being 46. Cedee now has 48. And he did it in just 10 games. This is rare air Mr. Lamb has entered.

But I also want to take a moment to put Bob Hayes’ greatness in perspective. In his 1965 rookie year, Bullet had 46 receptions for 1,003 yards, averaging a whopping 21.8 yards per reception, and had 12 receiving TDs plus a rushing TD in 13 games. This was done during an era when the passing game was not the dominant force it is today. Hayes also averaged nearly 13 yards per punt return that year. And his amazing speed produced 76 receiving TDs in his HOF career, including 5 TDs over 80 yards! And, he averaged 20 yards a reception...for his career!

Hats off to Cedee Lamb. And I’m happy to say that I was wrong about what he would accomplish this year. I had him catching about 40 passes in 16 games. I was wrong.

Here’s to a bunch more Cedee!

Bob Hayes is #2 on my list of Cowboys greatest WRs.

Fans had never heard of zone defense before Bob arrived in the NFL.

Prior to Bob, Zone defense was rarely used and it was crude. Basically used like the "Prevent" defense.

Many players including several other Olympic sprinters have tried to play WR in the NFL but they have rarely had success.

As of about 2002 no other Olympic Gold medal winner had also won a Super Bowl. I don't know if that is still true but it shows that Bob was much more than just fast

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Hayes is #2 on my list of Cowboys greatest WRs.

Fans had never heard of zone defense before Bob arrived in the NFL.

Prior to Bob, Zone defense was rarely used and it was crude. Basically used like the "Prevent" defense.

Many players including several other Olympic sprinters have tried to play WR in the NFL but they have rarely had success.

As of about 2002 no other Olympic Gold medal winner had also won a Super Bowl. I don't know if that is still true but it shows that Bob was much more than just fast
Absolutely. Gil Brandt once said they would have never drafted him if he was just fast. They saw that he was a genuinely good football player with not only speed, but good hands, toughness, and great agility.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im downplaying the Cowboys rookie record. Its obviously not a big deal.
Well it’s a record that stood for 55 years. It’s a big deal in that it shows how great Bullet Bob was and how good Lamb is and can be.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well it’s a record that stood for 55 years. It’s a big deal in that it shows how great Bullet Bob was and how good Lamb is and can be.

I think it shows more about the lack of success of rookie WR's here over the years. Until Romo , we were never really a passing team. As I discussed there are probably 5-6 rookies this year alone in the NFL that are going to surpass that mark. Says more about the Cowboys then anything else.

All that aside Lamb is going to be great. I was arguing all offseason with guys that told me I was going to be wrong about Lamb being the best WR on the team.