Greg Cosell on Mazi smith

baltcowboy

Reaction score
As much as I love Lamb as a play maker, pre-draft I didn't believe he would be a great #1 WR. He was explosive and dynamic with the ball in his hands, everyone could see that. But, he was never considered to be a great route runner and he also had some drop concerns. I assumed he would do most of his damage out of the slot. With Cooper still here I wanted us to draft Justin Jefferson, who I thought was the best possible fit for our offence. When Lamb fell I was happy we took him, but I was torn because I knew Jefferson was going to be great.

And TBTH, I really still don't see CD as a true #1 just because of his body type and play style to me are not what a #1 should be. In my mind I think they should be bigger, more stout, w/ great hands, 100% reliable as a route runner always being where they are supposed to be and being able to make basically all contested catches to move the chains.
But Lamb has become pretty close to that mold so I will give him credit on how well he's grown and developed into a great all around threat.
Lamb is closer to Jefferson then this board wants to believe. The best wide receiver in the playoffs was Lamb. Over Tyreek and Jefferson. Hopefully the Cowboys will continue to force feed him the ball and get away from the Garrett (throw the ball to the open receiver) offensive style.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
What about Big Bo or Golston?
My guess Golston is safe because he offers position flex at edge and 3T. Bohanna might be caught in a numbers game and we aren’t keeping 3 nose tackles so unless he can beat out Hankins?!? Gallimore being released saves $2.7 on the cap and besides Osa - Golston and Fehoko can take snaps at 3T.

ESisback

Reaction score
My guess Golston is safe because he offers position flex at edge and 3T. Bohanna might be caught in a numbers game and we aren’t keeping 3 nose tackles so unless he can beat out Hankins?!? Gallimore being released saves $2.7 on the cap and besides Osa - Golston and Fehoko can take snaps at 3T.
Sounds reasonable

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thanks for posting. I respect Cosell and find this very encouraging. I have no analysis to offer on how good he is, but I love this analysis, and I love the Cowboys actually taking a swing like this in the 1st round. I literally would have been good if they alternated D line and O line with every pick.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
It‘s all up to Mazi as it relates to how good he could be. He’s got the tools to be a top level DT. He seems like a coachable kid. I’m excited to see what he brings to the team.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Didn’t Cosell say CeeDee was not a number 1 and chuckled when Cowherd brought it up. Then CeeDee went out and lit the Eagles up. Cosell understands football but is far from perfect.
Problem is it’s hard to be a number 1 when you have a number 25 throwing to you.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Didn’t Cosell say CeeDee was not a number 1 and chuckled when Cowherd brought it up. Then CeeDee went out and lit the Eagles up. Cosell understands football but is far from perfect.
i’m sorry but i agree with him. CD is better suited as a #2 or a slot WR.

Proof

Reaction score
So you want the equivalent of Robert Quinn at nt.
No Gap control or responsibility just rush the passer.
he said to be happy with what he's already proven he can do, and if there's more to it it's a bonus. just setting expectations it seems

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Yeah but it never led to anything twitchy in college.

This is like when they talked about Trysten Hill's great first step. It was going to be such a weapon in the NFL but just like in college it wasn't.

Just be happy with a dominant NT. If you get anything as a pass rusher it's a bonus.
DK Metcalf says Hi!