Greg the aging leg

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Read my lips for the thousandth time; haters are those that always hate, every thread, every post and every day. Don’t try to change that just so you can insult me.

You don't know what the word "hate" means.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Adam V just retired at 400 years old.

Age for a kicker means a lot less due to lack of wear and tear.

Imo they can go mental at any time/age though. Some rebound others don't

....this is not the norm.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I would been down with taking 1 in the draft and signing one as a UDRFA. It’s not popular but, ya really don’t want issues kicking field goals. Anyone remember 05 until we got Bailey?

I'm fine with using a draft pick if we find one we like. I'd encourage it. Important position.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It bugs me that we didn't bother to bring in any competition for Greg Zuerlein. He's 33 and has been kicking for 10 seasons, so his struggles from long range last year may just be a sign he's wearing down.

I guess Dallas is riding with the fact that he made all but one kick inside the 50 (31 of 32), but he was 3 of 9 from 50 and beyond. If we're not going to challenge him in camp, then we need to at least limit our 50-plus-yard attempts this season to end of half/game situations. No use giving the other team great field position if he's likely to miss those kicks.
I would not worry about it. We really have to stop talking long FGs and turning the ball over at midfield. If only to help the defence we need to go for 4th downs more. With our defensive issues we are just giving points to the other team. We need to make deeper drives to help the FG kicker plus bailout the D. Hope Moore realizes this.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would not worry about it. We really have to stop talking long FGs and turning the ball over at midfield. If only to help the defence we need to go for 4th downs more. With our defensive issues we are just giving points to the other team. We need to make deeper drives to help the FG kicker plus bailout the D. Hope Moore realizes this.

I don't agree. Having a kicker who can make from 50-plus can be the difference between winning and losing games. I think there are strategic times to go for it and strategic times to make the attempt.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ng-more-50-yard-field-goals-than-ever-before/

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It bugs me that we didn't bother to bring in any competition for Greg Zuerlein. He's 33 and has been kicking for 10 seasons, so his struggles from long range last year may just be a sign he's wearing down.

I guess Dallas is riding with the fact that he made all but one kick inside the 50 (31 of 32), but he was 3 of 9 from 50 and beyond. If we're not going to challenge him in camp, then we need to at least limit our 50-plus-yard attempts this season to end of half/game situations. No use giving the other team great field position if he's likely to miss those kicks.

Zuerline is a great kicker. 33 isnt old for a kicker.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
stop kicking FGs from that long of range, how about scoring more TDs, getting more First downs, picking on kicker because he isnt great at over 50 is well making excuses for are overrated Offense..

i rather have consistent kicker form 48 in then the Maher type who could nail 70yarders but inside 40 sucked balls..

think of it this way the coaches know the situations and knowing so will make them be more aggressive to avoid FGs..

Who cares what the offense did without Dak? With Dak at the helm we were the #1 offense in NFL history and scoring 32 points per game. That was even with a banged up Oline and a horrible defense giving us poor field position.

Barking up the wrong tree. If you want to complain, you should start with our historically bad defense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Zuerline is a great kicker. 33 isnt old for a kicker.

It depends on the kicker. When players fall off isn't age specific. For Zuerlein, there's been a falloff in his play since he peaked in 2017. As I've written in response to other posts, Zuerlein was an 82.9 percent kicker last year, which ranked him 16th in the league; that's not great.

He was great from 49 in, which is why it wouldn't be easy to find a replacement. But he was poor from 50 plus, which is why we should at least be attempting to find one. We should always be looking to improve. At least bring in a UDFA to compete.

I would have drafted Miami kicker Jose Borregales in the seventh round. He is last year's Lou Groza winner, making 20 of 22 FGs, including a 57-yarder, with one of his only two misses being blocked. Instead, Tampa Bay picked him up as a UDFA despite having just signed Ryan Succop to a three-year, $12 million deal in March after he made 37 or 40 FG attempts last year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There is a reason the Rams let go off him
so letting go of player makes them bad huh..best check that again how does mack get let go, Sdiggs Dhop, just to name few but many pretty Good FAS get "let go" means nothing typically. Mostly money or payer asks to be let go when his deals up etc etc