Greg Zuerlein is a less accurate kicker than Brett Maher

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hardline, Nov 28, 2021.

1. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,098 Messages
    21,124 Likes Received
    He’s missed 5 extra points
    Over 50 yards if you make more than half that’s great
    He has done a solid job under 50 but extra points have to be nearly automatic

2. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

13,437 Messages
    14,736 Likes Received
    Greg the leg is now Greg the egg.. just getting a decent kicker seems to be difficult chore.

3. Kevinicus

Kevinicus Well-Known Member

18,221 Messages
    10,971 Likes Received
    Please tell me you don't think you can just take a missed XP from early in a game and extrapolate that the team would have one if that one play was different. Surely you don't think you can just change something, and then everything else after that just plays out exactly the same?

4. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    32,948 Messages
    28,629 Likes Received
    I'm so sick of fans complaining about a damn kicker. If the team played better, the kicker wouldn't even matter. But rather than complaining about your team the sucks and thus relies on a kicker to do their job, they rather just complain about the kicker. Complain about your team that needs a kicker rather than the kicker.

5. MaineBoy

MaineBoy Well-Known Member

1,607 Messages
    1,430 Likes Received
    Your premise is just preposterous: so no event that happens in a game affects the outcome ? Yes, that missed extra point affected the score, duh, and the outcome of the game. Dak throws 9 interceptions in some game that the opponents convert to 63 points but as long as they are in the first half you’re all good. Kickers win and lose games every weekend in the nfl. Kicking matters, Sunshine.

6. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

8,161 Messages
    14,216 Likes Received
    I remember this about Maher. He would make all the long distance kicks and whiff on the short gimmes. He was just as frustrating as Zuerlein, probably more.

7. Kevinicus

Kevinicus Well-Known Member

18,221 Messages
    10,971 Likes Received
    No, that's not my premise. Not at all. Try again.

And no one player has, or ever will, win or lose a game. That's not how it works.

8. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Maple Leaf

4,392 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    I don't think it is that much of a risk to be frank.

Lirim is available and has been kicking consistently. The fact is that Zuerlien has missed (5) kicks under 40 yards. PATs are included because they are kicks for points. It's not like they don't count.

So I would say he has a serious focus and mechanical problem. Stats over the past 10 years show that around 15% of the NFL games are within a FG or less in deciding the win or the loss. Why would you tolerate the failure rate in kicks under 40 that are that high.

You were more than happy to bring the guy in for pre-season. He was statistically the best kicker at the Rams camp and McVey went with his college alma mater and paid the price by having to cut him in week 7 after letting Lirim go.

I would give this guy a chance...or do you tolerate another missed PAT?

A lucky watermelon kick doesn't overcome the heartache of a missing easy points.

9. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Maple Leaf

4,392 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    All PAT points are is cash in the bank. You always fill up the piggy bank because in this league you don't know when you end up in a part of the game where you go broke on offence.

10. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Maple Leaf

4,392 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    So would you not complain about a player, any player, who was playing up the standards of the average in the league?

Right now I would put Zeurlein in the bottom group of kickers in the league with Crosby, Slye and Vizcaino. He is not hitting average, and his misses alters the way the Cowboys will play the game. BTW, I checked again on his stats and he has missed (5) kicks under 43 yards. (3) PATs and (2) FG attempts. Of the three I have listed the only other kicker who has been wild with PATs like Greg has been Nick Folk, but it seems the hoodie is willing to tolerate him because he has been perfect on all the expected kicks. 50 yards and under.

11. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    32,948 Messages
    28,629 Likes Received
    I don't consider the kicker a football player at all. The other 10 players have a purpose that is needed while the kicker is superfluous.

12. Cmac

Cmac Well-Known Member

8,345 Messages
    5,522 Likes Received
    Sometimes he's kicking like there's wind in Jerry World.