Twitter: Greg Zuerlein is now 30 of 31 in FGs in Training Camp

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I liked Kai Forbath...

He literally did not miss for us last season...I'm not sure how he could have possible done better.

Meanwhile, Zuerlein was 24/33 (72.7%)

Maher was 20/30 (66.7%) before we cut him ... So Zuerlein was statistically a little better than Maher last season.

Kai deserved to start the season as the starting placekicker...he earned that right.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
well if we're going to constantly depend on our kicker to nail 60 yarders to win games I'd say we have waaaaaay worse problems

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Cut him

This is what all the naysayers were warning us about when we signed him

clearly unreliable beyond 40. Looks like he’s only good for 50% according to the metrics in the tweet

I remember a few posters asking me how Zuerline was an upgrade when the last guy never missed a FG. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is a weird thread.

The OP starts a thread to brag about our new kicker And pump some sunshine into the Zone

yet almost every post after it misreads his intentions entirely
:laugh:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I liked Kai Forbath...

He literally did not miss for us last season...I'm not sure how he could have possible done better.

Maher was 20/30 (66.7%) before we cut him ... So Zuerlein was statistically a little better than Maher last season.

Kai deserved to start the season as the starting placekicker...he earned that right.

LOL...…….speak and he appears.

Maher was the FG kicker last year in reality. Forbath is a Journeyman that typically doenst make a team, but just comes in after a teams kicker has gotten hurt. Take a look at this history. Forbath played in I believe 3 or 4 games and yes he was something like 10-10.

Zuerline is one of the best kickers of the past 5 years in the NFL. Accurate, clutch, and can hit from deep. He had a groin injury last year so that is why he had a down year. It was a stroke of luck that he was available and a boon for this team and FO to have gotten him.

I guess you don't play fantasy football? Zuerline is always one of the first kickers off the board.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
LOL...…….speak and he appears.

Maher was the FG kicker last year in reality. Forbath is a Journeyman that typically doenst make a team, but just comes in after a teams kicker has gotten hurt. Take a look at this history. Forbath played in I believe 3 or 4 games and yes he was something like 10-10.

Zuerline is one of the best kickers of the past 5 years in the NFL. Accurate, clutch, and can hit from deep. He had a groin injury last year so that is why he had a down year. It was a stroke of luck that he was available and a boon for this team and FO to have gotten him.

I guess you don't play fantasy football? Zuerline is always one of the first kickers off the board.

Just going based off of what we could objectively observe last season.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Just going based off of what we could objectively observe last season.

The last time Kai forbath kicked for an entire season was in 2017 and he made 84% of his kicks. Meanwhile that same year Greg made 95% of his kicks.

So based of what we could objectively observe the season both kickers played an entire season, Greg wa significantly better.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I liked Kai Forbath...

I would generally agree with you.

However, many consider Fassel to be the best Special Teams coach in the league. If he preferred Zuerlein, I see no reason not to trust him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Forbath was 10 for 10, while obviously less than 30/30, he was not an issue. Hopefully Greg finishes with no more than 2 misses all year.

That's your expectation?

Zeurlein has only missed just two kicks twice in eight years. If he finishes the season in the upper 80s or 90 percent on kicks, he would be among the best in the league. Last year, only five kickers who attempted more than 20 FGs made more than 90 percent.

By the way, Forbath has not missed more than two kicks four times. In all four of those times (including last year), he had fewer than 20 attempts (17-18, 15-15, 4-5, 11-11). (Zeurlein has never attempted fewer than 22 field goals in a season and attempted 30 or more in six of his eight years.)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

No bring back Maher threads yet?

I was wondering the type of career Maher would have after leaving here. But its one thing in this league you can't do and its consistently miss kicks in the 45 and below range. You can miss 60 yarders all you want but if that's all you're making then you won't be in this league.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I really am surprised with the lack of movement on the Chris Jones and Crawford contracts

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I would generally agree with you.

However, many consider Fassel to be the best Special Teams coach in the league. If he preferred Zuerlein, I see no reason not to trust him.

I want to be optimistic, but there must be a reason why the Rams didn't want to keep him. I hope he proves me wrong...that would obviously be great.

I just think we did Kai kind of dirty...he literally could not have performed any better for us and he was tossed aside for a name, in all honesty.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for Zuerlein to nail a 60 yard FG as time runs out and we lose 33-31.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a weird thread.

The OP starts a thread to brag about our new kicker And pump some sunshine into the Zone

yet almost every post after it misreads his intentions entirely

Yep.

The POWER of the Internet for creating misunderstanding.

InTheZone

Reaction score
That's your expectation?

Zeurlein has only missed just two kicks twice in eight years. If he finishes the season in the upper 80s or 90 percent on kicks, he would be among the best in the league. Last year, only five kickers who attempted more than 20 FGs made more than 90 percent.

By the way, Forbath has not missed more than two kicks four times. In all four of those times (including last year), he had fewer than 20 attempts (17-18, 15-15, 4-5, 11-11). (Zeurlein has never attempted fewer than 22 field goals in a season and attempted 30 or more in six of his eight years.)
My expectation is over 90%. Almost any decent number of kicks with 2 misses is over 90%. You said there were 5 last year over 90, he needs to be that.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Let’s hope this is a season thing and not one issue we need to think about

giphy.gif

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I liked Kai Forbath...

The rest of the NFL was so impressed by Kai's performance that he's still a free agent.

Zuerlein played on an injured foot last season yet he's the one who has a job.