Guard or Tackle? Bigger need?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Opinions vary. Conner Williams is too weak and too small to dominate in the interior IMO.
Remember Mark Stepnoski? He was WAY undersized, and was outstanding.

Center isn't just a brute strength position. Obviously strength helps. but there is a quickness and agility element that goes with being able to snap the ball and fire out our set up to pass block fluidly, and before an opponent can barrel over or run past you, plus the center doesn't always have a man directly across the line from him, and therefore is used to help with the blocking either left or right, or to pick up a blitz from the middle, which also requires an element of quickness and agility.

But aside from that, we still have 2 other players on the roster with experience at center, so even if Williams isn't used there we have the position covered.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
And we should trade our 2nd rounder from 2 years ago just to get him back on the roster after we released him?
I'm a Longhorns fan and for some reason I didn't understand the praise given to Conner while he was there. And now that he's with Dallas I still just don't like him for some reason. I don't think he's tough enough to play guard or center. So to me it's swing tackle or good bye Conner.

So we can have a second round backup or a starting center. I'd trade him for a starting center. That's not a bad trade off to me.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is just an idea. Because I really don't trust Looney, yet and I'd hate to C.Williams as our starting LG guard again.
I get not being completely comfortable with Looney, but would you be with Su'a-Filo? Why would we trust him more than 2 players that have experience with the position? Besides, the difficulty in trust is largely a natural thing simply because we know there will be a drop off fro Frederick no matter who plays the position. Looney, however, while clearly less than Frederick, did a pretty solid job in 2018.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Remember Mark Stepnoski? He was WAY undersized, and was outstanding.

Center isn't just a brute strength position. Obviously strength helps. but there is a quickness and agility element that goes with being able to snap the ball and fire out our set up to pass block fluidly, and before an opponent can barrel over or run past you, plus the center doesn't always have a man directly across the line from him, and therefore is used to help with the blocking either left or right, or to pick up a blitz from the middle, which also requires an element of quickness and agility.

But aside from that, we still have 2 other players on the roster with experience at center, so even if Williams isn't used there we have the position covered.
Part of me wants to what C.Williams can do at center. Because it does call for quickness and agility at times. But in other times it calls for strength and toughness. That's why Fredbeard was so good because he could do both.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Part of me wants to what C.Williams can do at center. Because it does call for quickness and agility at times. But in other times it calls for strength and toughness. That's why Fredbeard was so good because he could do both.
I think Williams is an intriguing thought at center, but at the end of the day if we experimented with him and it didn't work out he would still be good depth at every other O-Line position, OG or OT, regardless of left side or right side, and we would still have Looney and/or McGovern to cover the position. If we traded him for Su'a-Filo, and Su'a-Filo didn't work out, he is strictly OG depth, 6-7 years older than Williams, and more expensive than Williams. I don't see the benefit of the trade.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With Mcgovern moving to C most likely does it create a need at G? I guess Knight and Looney can both fill in in a pinch but I can't see either being long term solutions. Then there is Redmond but I have no idea what he can do.

At T Knight and Hyatt appear to be the depth and I guess in an extreme situation Williams could fill in with Looney at G.

Which do you think we need? G, T, both, neither?
Why would Williams filling in at Guard be an extreme situation?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I think Williams is an intriguing thought at center, but at the end of the day if we experimented with him and it didn't work out he would still be good depth at every other O-Line position, OG or OT, regardless of left side or right side, and we would still have Looney and/or McGovern to cover the position. If we traded him for Su'a-Filo, and Su'a-Filo didn't work out, he is strictly OG depth, 6-7 years older than Williams, and more expensive than Williams. I don't see the benefit of the trade.
Wow. That's a good point.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Costa was horrible. Gurode was twice as good.
It took him about three years to learn how to snap to Romo in the shotgun. :D Other than that he was solid.

One of my favorite Romo plays was him running down a bad snap twenty yards behind the line then running for a first down. I love that play.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
With Mcgovern moving to C most likely does it create a need at G? I guess Knight and Looney can both fill in in a pinch but I can't see either being long term solutions. Then there is Redmond but I have no idea what he can do.

At T Knight and Hyatt appear to be the depth and I guess in an extreme situation Williams could fill in with Looney at G.

Which do you think we need? G, T, both, neither?

Most likely McGovern at C, Williams at LG.

If so, Knight is our best option at T.
For G, hard to say. Maybe Knight again.

I think people are overestimating Looney. Between both their words and actions, Looney was way down the depth chart for LG. When we were looking for a starter, he wasn't even considered.

Losing Frederick thinned our depth a *lot*, because Williams could credibly backup G and T. Once he's forced into LG, we lose our #1 backup at 4 spots.

I'd say since a big, strong backup veteran G is usually easy to find cheap, that's our more likely signing. We'll go with developing Knight and Hyatt at T, maybe draft another guy who falls.

Big, strong G. Leary? 58.4 from PFF. Not so good, though Williams wasn't much better.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

I think people are overestimating Looney. Between both their words and actions, Looney was way down the depth chart for LG. When we were looking for a starter, he wasn't even considered.

Losing Frederick thinned our depth a *lot*, because Williams could credibly backup G and T. Once he's forced into LG, we lose our #1 backup at 4 spots.

I'd say since a big, strong backup veteran G is usually easy to find cheap, that's our more likely signing. We'll go with developing Knight and Hyatt at T, maybe draft another guy who falls.

Big, strong G. Leary? 58.4 from PFF. Not so good, though Williams wasn't much better.
They also like Redmond a lot G/C

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think McGovern will be given a chance to take the Center position, but given that he hasn't played it since his Sophomore year of college, and we haven't even seen him play a snap at the pro level, I'm very hesitant to project him as the starting center.

I think LG and center are yet to be determined. We may have a rare training camp battle at those spots. I think both McGovern and Leary have a shot at Center, and McGovern and Williams at LG. It's possible Williams could have a disadvantage because of his ability to back up both G and T, and they might want to preserve the flexibility he has to fill that multipurpose back up role. But, again, we still have a lot to learn about McGovern to know where he fits.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Why in the world would you love to trade a useful player for someone they just allowed to leave in Free Agency? That makes zero sense.

We found the burner account for that Dak Attack guy who starts Sua-Filo threads.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Williams is the starting guard, McGovern is likely the center.

That's exactly how I see it, Williams at LG, McGovern at C and Looney backing up both spots. Then we sign a veteran to play swing tackle late in the offseason and also draft a developmental project at OT in the 4th round or later.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's exactly how I see it, Williams at LG, McGovern at C and Looney backing up both spots. Then we sign a veteran to play swing tackle late in the offseason and also draft a developmental project at OT in the 4th round or later.
:hammer:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Draft an OT and sign a vet for LG...figure out C with the group of interior guys in house.