Guard or Tackle? Bigger need?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They also like Redmond a lot G/C

Really? Think so? Got any particular info on that?

He always seemed borderline PS to me. To me, it would be great news if he could even be a credible backup to start.

You're probably right about him coming before Knight at G at least. Maybe Redmond is our first line backup G.

quickccc

Reaction score
Tackle has and will always be more demanding than an OG,imo, .. as they carry a tougher task and responsibility being isolated on an island and having to take on
the edge guy across from him who has such open space to maneuver.

Unless you happen to come by what draft gurus and personnel consider an absolute generation OG such as what Quenton Nelson is supposed to be
then that's why you generally see generation Offensive Tackles go as high as first overall pick as such the case
with Orlando Pace, Jonathan Odgen,(two hall of famers) .. even guys such as Eric Fisher and Jake Long.

As for us the Cowboys, there's uncertainty at center and LG that has to be sorted out, but otherwise we're set at the starting roles at the OT's
and RG. Its' depth at OT that we need to settle.
- If Williams ends up returning at LG, and McGovern proves advanced enough to start at center, depth would be needed at the backup swing OT role.
- Looney can definitely fill in at center in a heartbeat. and he filled in at LG when both Williams and Sua Filo were out for season.
So he adds very solid depth in the interior at both positions.
- It remains to be seen if Knight will be asked to play both OG and swing T.
- Andy Redmon returns very raw and inexperience but hear say they really like his potential.
- Hyatt even struggled against scrub edge rushers on the roster bubble in preseason,maybe this Packer style coaching staff thinks he can be
typical Packer style Olineman that relies on techniques and guts. He'll have to show me much more improvement than what i saw his rookie year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think McGovern will be given a chance to take the Center position, but given that he hasn't played it since his Sophomore year of college, and we haven't even seen him play a snap at the pro level, I'm very hesitant to project him as the starting center.

I think LG and center are yet to be determined. We may have a rare training camp battle at those spots. I think both McGovern and Leary have a shot at Center, and McGovern and Williams at LG. It's possible Williams could have a disadvantage because of his ability to back up both G and T, and they might want to preserve the flexibility he has to fill that multipurpose back up role. But, again, we still have a lot to learn about McGovern to know where he fits.

I think we could have picked him in the draft this year with the plan on his starting. LIke anybody else, there are no guarantees, and we have a guy like Looney if McGovern doesn't cut it.

I'm with you on Williams' disadvantage.

Somebody just said they really like Redmond. Maybe he could compete for LG? If they're thinking about Williams as primary backup, it's likely the bring in a veteran LG to compete for the spot. Easiest spot on the oline to upgrade, IMO. It's the wind down spot for olinemen losing their athleticism.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
With Mcgovern moving to C most likely does it create a need at G? I guess Knight and Looney can both fill in in a pinch but I can't see either being long term solutions. Then there is Redmond but I have no idea what he can do.

At T Knight and Hyatt appear to be the depth and I guess in an extreme situation Williams could fill in with Looney at G.

Which do you think we need? G, T, both, neither?
A guard for depth. With Frederick retiring, McGovern probably goes to the start and looney will be the C/G backup but this team needs another guy in the mid rounds to develop aswell. Dallas has Knight and Wyatt who they really like.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is a hard to move guy. You need a big body like that at center to go up against NT's in the 3-4. That's why Gurode got the job over Costa even though Costa was better.
You are either trolling or you are getting ideas from an idiot.

XSF got 1M guaranteed on a contract averaging 3M per. If they wanted to keep him they would have kept him. They knew Frederick might not play.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
With Mcgovern moving to C most likely does it create a need at G? I guess Knight and Looney can both fill in in a pinch but I can't see either being long term solutions. Then there is Redmond but I have no idea what he can do.

At T Knight and Hyatt appear to be the depth and I guess in an extreme situation Williams could fill in with Looney at G.

Which do you think we need? G, T, both, neither?
All I know is that its actually a luxury to have options when a top tier talent like TFred decides to hang it up.
With all the major glaring holes on this roster,, Im at least not panicked about Center.

Verdict

Reaction score
OT. Williams seems to be a marginal player (backup OT at best) and Tyron is approaching the end, if he’s not already there.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Honestly, I think Guard is Connor Williams' WORST position.

I think that he has the brains to be a good Center (Remember Mark Stepnoski?) and the feet to be a good Tackle. Butt (pun intended), he doesn't have the anchor to be a good Guard.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The one thing that Jerry has generally done well is drafting the best O-lineman available in the 2nd or 3rd round. There are some misses, but this general philosophy has kept Dallas with one of the better O-lines in the league for most of Jerry's tenure.

In an ideal situation for me, he would take a lineman in the 2nd or 3rd and use most of the rest of the picks on defenders.