Guess we are gonna patchwork DT yet again?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, semantics but you are probably right. Maryland was clearly Jimmy's pick.
The only major college to offer him a full ride was Miami, when Johnson was there. He went onto to collect all the awards a DL could in his senior year.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's how it used to be. With Jimmy telling Jerry to his face that he isn't his equal as a football mind. 4:00 minute mark of the video but you should watch the whole thing.

It was all Jimmy and no Jerry. That's why they won so much. Jerry didn't make a draft pick until April of 1994.

Kwyn

Reaction score
We were never going to go after Payne or Hargrave or Tomlison. Those guys were always going to be too pricey for Jerry/Stephen. Some more mid-level guys are gone with Cox going back to Philly.

We have heard nothing on Hankins. Where we pick isn't exactly going to likely be teeming with DT prospects unless we take a reach early (for those that will say, relax, we'll fix DT in the draft). So what's the plan? Just sit around and hope to pull a bunch of nobodies and such next week when they are cheap and then throw a later round pick or two at the position?

I had wondered if maybe they were just going to invest in a better MLB than LVE and hope that fixed some of their interior problems but LVE is back and Wagner appears to be a non starter. So it just seems like we are going to run this thing back with a bunch of jabronies at DT. I swear to god, this franchise's handling of the DT position is just so frustrating.
The difference makers at DT in free agency were all out of our range. To get one or them to Kyle have meant no Gilmore and we would not have been able to re-sign Wilson or LVE

There are some nice DTs in the 30-50 range. Maybe would have to reach a little or maybe move up from 56, but I think we can and will take a DT in an early round.

Really, there are only two first round talents and DTand one of them will be a top 5 pick with the other in the mid to late teens.

If Schultz doesn’t re-sign, it wouldn’t surprise me I see TE in the first and then WR or DT in the 2nd and 3rd round.

There just aren’t any truly impactful free agents out there in a position or need for us so it’s gonna have to be the draft.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We were never going to go after Payne or Hargrave or Tomlison. Those guys were always going to be too pricey for Jerry/Stephen. Some more mid-level guys are gone with Cox going back to Philly.

We have heard nothing on Hankins. Where we pick isn't exactly going to likely be teeming with DT prospects unless we take a reach early (for those that will say, relax, we'll fix DT in the draft). So what's the plan? Just sit around and hope to pull a bunch of nobodies and such next week when they are cheap and then throw a later round pick or two at the position?

I had wondered if maybe they were just going to invest in a better MLB than LVE and hope that fixed some of their interior problems but LVE is back and Wagner appears to be a non starter. So it just seems like we are going to run this thing back with a bunch of jabronies at DT. I swear to god, this franchise's handling of the DT position is just so frustrating.
We cut Hill, and Gallimore continued his decline. Osa is more of a pass rush DT.

Got no one we're developing or even are invested in a contract for full size DT. First year with McCarthy, we signed two full size guys who didn't work out.

From what we've been doing in recent years, most likely we're hunting for a NT.
Gonna need one next year.

Ha! Forgot all about Bohanna. Like a bad dream. Too bad we cut Ridgeway.

Between Bohanna and Gallimore, we've got next to nothing. Should be signing and drafting this year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Just because we haven’t gone after a veteran DT in free agency doesn’t mean we’re not going to draft one. Some are acting like they forgot there’s a draft in April.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm sincerely hoping to welcome a monster DT in the draft, assuming our FO is finally deciding to do something to solidify their d-line play. Plugging the run should have been a priority several years ago. Evidently, Jerry & Stephen aren't too keen about that idea. They should know better. Here's hoping they wake up this year in the draft and find the best one available, ASAP in that event. Having to witness this defense being gouged throughout yet another season would be an extremely torturous thing to endure once again. What is it with this FO that they can't see that? Where are the "football guys?!"

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
I'm sincerely hoping to welcome a monster DT in the draft, assuming our FO is finally deciding to do something to solidify their d-line play. Plugging the run should have been a priority several years ago. Evidently, Jerry & Stephen aren't too keen about that idea. They should know better. Here's hoping they wake up this year in the draft and find the best one available, ASAP in that event. Having to witness this defense being gouged throughout yet another season would be an extremely torturous thing to endure once again. What is it with this FO that they can't see that? Where are the "football guys?!"

If you don't mind a 7th round pick. Seems like they reserve that spot for the DT position. Jerry thinks he's gonna find another gem.

Big_D

Reaction score
Just because we haven’t gone after a veteran DT in free agency doesn’t mean we’re not going to draft one. Some are acting like they forgot there’s a draft in April.

Fans been waiting along time for this pick.. will 2023 be the year? The team has completely dropped the ball at DT over the years.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If you don't mind a 7th round pick. Seems like they reserve that spot for the DT position. Jerry thinks he's gonna find another gem.
Yes, it's exactly what I'm afraid of -- more of same from a FO that doesn't respect what allows teams to excel in the playoffs.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Jerry loves WRs. You know that will be addressed. But the philosophy at DT has certainly been an issue over the years!
We like average guys in the middle. And the ima Ilya to stop the run has hurt us got one drive each year which seals our fate

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Unfortunately, the answer is looking like the same old same old.

gtb1943

Reaction score
And what in the history of Jerry and company since Jimmy gives you the hope that they will do something significant there?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And what in the history of Jerry and company since Jimmy gives you the hope that they will do something significant there?
I’m not saying they’re going to make a significant move there but they might draft a DT who could end up being a good player. We still have the draft coming up. The best players they’ve come up with on their DL was through the draft. It’s a crapshoot, but it’s better than overpaying a free agent who might not play that well.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
My guess is that he's purely a follow-the-ball sort, and has no clue what both the DLine and Oline meant to that team. Plus, those teams were D teams w/ ball control O. How did he not notice that?
And didn't Jerry play OL on that Arkansas team back sixty-something years ago?
Just weird that he doesn't see the obvious importance of strong line play - O and D.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Jerry loves WRs. You know that will be addressed. But the philosophy at DT has certainly been an issue over the years!
Just like QB....we haven't drafted that either. Jerry's disdain for the Alpha male has never been more clear.

rambo2

Reaction score
Based on? The front office's strong previous FA periods? Their consistent desire to invest in the DT position?
Why complain now? They will try. Is there something wrong with drafting 1? They are in pretty good shape on March 18th. Let's see what happens. I didn't even know about Tyler Smith at this time last year. We already have Gillmore now at corner. They have already made a 13 win team better. Let's see what they come up with. There are some good dtackles in the draft. Maybe they will draft one that you will end up liking.