Guyton vs Mims

McMicah

Reaction score
If JPJ is gone, and those two tackles are on the board, which do like better?

Mims pros:
- Patient, good hand placement, immovable anchor, easily moves guys in the run game

Mims cons:
- Slow…his legs seem to be in sticky mud, worried he will struggle with speed rushers. Not exactly a nasty player.

Guyton Pros:
Quick feet, you can see burst and athleticism, yet still a great anchor, nasty run blocker

Guyton Cons:
Tendency to overextend due to lack of patience, not great hand placement, feet are quick but still need technique

My opinion:
Tough choice. If you can teach Mims to get nasty, I’d lean toward him. But right now I’m betting on being able to teach Guyton better technique and leverage his athleticism for the higher ceiling and hopefully less injuries long term

What say you, fellow scouts?

RS12

Reaction score
Mims. SEC competition and played well in the 8 games he was in. Would love to bring him along slowly with Tyron playing one more year, and mentoring him like Peters did for Tyler.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Both fine prospects. i could see interest in both players.

Carson

Reaction score
Mims. SEC competition and played well in the 8 games he was in. Would love to bring him along slowly with Tyron playing one more year, and mentoring him like Peters did for Tyler.
This is the way

Hardline

Reaction score
I like them both equally. If both are still on the board then see if you can trade down a couple spots and take the one that's left.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Both studs…both good options at 24.

Mims probably gives you more juice in the run game but Guyton has the higher ceiling in pass pro bc of his feet.

TheDank

Reaction score
Neither in R1. Both are projects. I don’t project Mims to the left side at all and Guyton could end up being a stud or a JAG, just doesn’t have fundamentals yet which is not typical out of OU imo.

I’d rather Sumaiata or Christian Jones in R2 who I rate about the same as Mims/Guyton.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Neither in R1. Both are projects. I don’t project Mims to the left side at all and Guyton could end up being a stud or a JAG, just doesn’t have fundamentals yet which is not typical out of OU imo.

I’d rather Sumaiata or Christian Jones in R2 who I rate about the same as Mims/Guyton.
Tyron played RT in college and was considered raw…obviously his traits were through the roof but you get the point.

TheDank

Reaction score
Tyron played RT in college and was considered raw…obviously his traits were through the roof but you get the point.
Yeah but the traits through the roof is kinda the difference. Mims has traits in his size, but he doesn’t have the feet to play LT, Guyton is just raw and maybe a closer comp, but he’s just so weak as a run blocker and such a projection that it’s painful to think we could have another wasted R1 when there’s likely much better football players on the board who are less risky.

McMicah

Reaction score

I haven’t watched Jones yet. Thanks for the heads up on him

McMicah

Reaction score
Yeah but the traits through the roof is kinda the difference. Mims has traits in his size, but he doesn’t have the feet to play LT, Guyton is just raw and maybe a closer comp, but he’s just so weak as a run blocker and such a projection that it’s painful to think we could have another wasted R1 when there’s likely much better football players on the board who are less risky.
This is where I hesitate with Mims. His feet are so slow. Sometimes with really tall guys it just looks slower than it is, but he’s legitimately slow. Guyton is so much lighter on his feet. If we were talking about RT, I’m OK with Mims. But LT? Eh. Probably gonna eat my words but Guyton just has a higher ceiling IMO because of that one element

I really want Fuaga, but he won’t be there

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think you’re underselling both but to each their own.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I think Guyton has the better chance of eventually sliding over to the left side. For that reason, I think he might be this team‘s preference.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think Guyton has the better chance of eventually sliding over to the left side. For that reason, I think he might be this team‘s preference.
I also wouldn’t let Steele stop me from drafting a stud RT. If we cut him after this season we eat some of the contract but we do save on cap hit.

Cowboys are cowards though and would never do it.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I also wouldn’t let Steele stop me from drafting a stud RT. If we cut him after this season we eat some of the contract but we do save on cap hit.

Steele has been a YUUUUUUGE disappointment since coming back, almost like he never played football before. Totally unacceptable.

TheDank

Reaction score
Steele has been a YUUUUUUGE disappointment since coming back, almost like he never played football before. Totally unacceptable.
Combo of coming back from injury and o-line coach trying to change up his technique. I’m personally betting on a return to form this year, but it’s a tough call because last season was so rough.

Malhavoc

Reaction score

I think if Guyton is available they will certainly consider him. IMO if they re-sign Tyron I’m not sure they would consider Guyronor Mims.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think if Guyton is available they will certainly consider him. IMO if they re-sign Tyron I’m not sure they would consider Guyronor Mims.
Who knows…even if they do re-sign Tyron though I’m not letting that stop me from drafting a top 20 OT if it’s BPA.