***Hall Of Fame Game Thread....Colts Vs ??????***

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
RainMan;2173927 said:
If you're a Skins fan you've got to like the progression Campbell is making. It's only one preseason game, but he did everything he was supposed to.

Question for Skins fans --- has Portis put on weight this offseason? His face seemed considerably chubbier whenever they'd flash to him on the sideline.
Campbell went 5 for 5. Last preseason he went 5 for 5 in a game, then went on to post a 77 QB rating on the season.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
What progress does a starter show on pre-season? The back-ups and rookies show progress, not starters.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Colt Brennan has moxie :eek:

Like I've said all along the kid is raw and needs a season or two of seasoning, but he can be a successful QB in this league.

Sucks that he's a Skin.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
RainMan;2173927 said:
If you're a Skins fan you've got to like the progression Campbell is making. It's only one preseason game, but he did everything he was supposed to.

Against a team not playing 5 of its starters (the Skins started 8 of their 11 projected starters on offense), including its two stars (Sanders and Freeney)... he completed 4 short passes, one of them on 3rd and 15, which means he basically made one real play, the 20 yard TD to Randle El...

Note also that the Colts have traditionally not cared about the first preseason game, the last time they won one was 5 years ago...

You're easily impressed, pal, to me it looked like the same old Campbell... and as I said, it was against a bunch of scrubs...

Meanwhile, I can tell you that the Skins had best hope that their starters in the secondary stay REAL healthy, their scrubs allowed a lot of wide open receivers... even the Colts' rather bad backup QBs threw for 320 yards against the Skins, and in the short bit of the game I got to watch, I saw Quinn Gray badly overthrow two wide open receivers in the flat...

The positive that Skins fans ought to take out of this game is that they didn't see the general disorganization that often characterized the Skins' offense last year... there weren't a lot of procedure and delay of game penalites, or wasted time outs...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Nexx;2173858 said:
hambrick looked pretty good from time to time too.

Differences are:

1. Hart has his head screwed on straight.

2. Hart was incredibly productive in college.

I can't blame the Cowboys for not taking Hart. With Felix and Barber, they needed a young guy that can possibly take the workload if there's an injury to Barber and I'm more than fine with Tashard Choice. But, I've watched a ton of Mike Hart since his high school days at Onondaga Central and I think he stays healthy and gets an opportunity (which will be tough in Indy with Addai and Keith at tailback), he'll be a very good starting tailback in the league. He reminds me of a smaller version of Emmitt. Not overly exciting athletically, but he's just a tough guy to tackle because of his low center of gravity, he cuts well, and can dip the shoulder when needed.

YAKUZA

jman

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2173903 said:
A little late but no Drew Pearson is also on that list.

Quote:
1970s ALL-DECADE TEAM
Chosen by the Hall of Fame Selection Committee members.

Offense
Wide Receiver Harold Carmichael
Wide Receiver Drew Pearson
Wide Receiver Lynn Swann
Wide Receiver Paul Warfield
Tight End Dave Casper
Tight End Charlie Sanders
Tackle Dan Dierdorf
Tackle Art Shell
Tackle Rayfield Wright
Tackle Ron Yary
Guard Joe DeLamielleure
Guard John Hannah
Guard Larry Little
Guard Gene Upshaw
Center Jim Langer
Center Mike Webster
Quarterback Terry Bradshaw
Quarterback Ken Stabler
Quarterback Roger Staubach
Running Back Earl Campbell
Running Back Franco Harris
Running Back Walter Payton
Running Back O.J. Simpson
Kicker Garo Yepremian
Kicker Jim Bakken

Defense
End Carl Eller
End L.C. Greenwood
End Harvey Martin
End Jack Youngblood
Tackle Joe Greene
Tackle Bob Lilly
Tackle Merlin Olsen
Tackle Alan Page
Linebacker Bobby Bell
Linebacker Robert Brazile
Linebacker Dick Butkus
Linebacker Jack Ham
Linebacker Ted Hendricks
Linebacker Jack Lambert
Cornerback Willie Brown
Cornerback Jimmy Johnson
Cornerback Roger Wehrli
Cornerback Louis Wright
Safety Dick Anderson
Safety Cliff Harris
Safety Ken Houston
Safety Larry Wilson
Punter Ray Guy

And besides the two I noted in red, not including kickers, there looks to be a more than a few on the alll 70's team not in the HOF.

skinsngibbs4life

Reaction score
silverbear;2173974 said:
Against a team not playing 5 of its starters (the Skins started 8 of their 11 projected starters on offense), including its two stars (Sanders and Freeney)... he completed 4 short passes, one of them on 3rd and 15, which means he basically made one real play, the 20 yard TD to Randle El...

Note also that the Colts have traditionally not cared about the first preseason game, the last time they won one was 5 years ago...

You're easily impressed, pal, to me it looked like the same old Campbell... and as I said, it was against a bunch of scrubs...

Meanwhile, I can tell you that the Skins had best hope that their starters in the secondary stay REAL healthy, their scrubs allowed a lot of wide open receivers... even the Colts' rather bad backup QBs threw for 320 yards against the Skins, and in the short bit of the game I got to watch, I saw Quinn Gray badly overthrow two wide open receivers in the flat...

The positive that Skins fans ought to take out of this game is that they didn't see the general disorganization that often characterized the Skins' offense last year... there weren't a lot of procedure and delay of game penalites, or wasted time outs...

:laugh2:

You're ridiculous man. You try everything possible the downplay any skins performance, no matter how decent it was. The fact with campbell is he didn't make any mistakes with game. His yards per pass average vastly inprovmed to 12.2. His accuaracy was A LOT better, and he finally found the endzone (something he struggled with in '07). While this was a small sample, and it's hard to judge any improvement from this performance, in no way did he show any form of Quincy Carter. Just because he hit one underneath on a 3rd and long, it somehow boosts his ratings? He had a decent night. That much you can admit. To sit there and say he looked like Qcarter is just a blind homerism thought.

And you act as if the Colts were the only team missing players. The Skins were missing 6/11 starters on defense. Somehow the colts miss 2 star players and all of sudden the Commanders success is dowplayed. Yet, the skins are missing half of their starters as well of course they don't get the same benefit of the doubt as the colts do.

kapolani

Reaction score
skinsngibbs4life;2174156 said:

You're ridiculous man. You try everything possible the downplay any skins performance, no matter how decent it was. The fact with campbell is he didn't make any mistakes with game. His yards per pass average vastly inprovmed to 12.2. His accuaracy was A LOT better, and he finally found the endzone (something he struggled with in '07). While this was a small sample, and it's hard to judge any improvement from this performance, in no way did he show any form of Quincy Carter. Just because he hit one underneath on a 3rd and long, it somehow boosts his ratings? He had a decent night. That much you can admit. To sit there and say he looked like Qcarter is just a blind homerism thought.

And you act as if the Colts were the only team missing players. The Skins were missing 6/11 starters on defense. Somehow the colts miss 2 star players and all of sudden the Commanders success is dowplayed. Yet, the skins are missing half of their starters as well of course they don't get the same benefit of the doubt as the colts do.

When Jason "Quincy" Campbell leads your team to a 10-6 record AND to the playoffs you can talk.

Until then he'll remain a 3rd tier QB.

It's only a matter of time till he starts fumbling and tossing picks.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I will watch it again later, but I think only 3 starters played D for the Commanders.

skinsngibbs4life

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;2174180 said:
I will watch it again later, but I think only 3 starters played D for the Commanders.

Doughty, Washington, Springs, Smoot, and maybe Carter? Either 4 or 5 starters went.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;2174180 said:

Actually 4 got time. Smoot, Springs (for like 3 plays to be honest) Doughty and Marcus Washington.

None of the d-line. No London Fletcher, no Laron Landry

It was a preseason game. There was crispness. No disorganized delay of game penalties, late substitutions, or burning timeouts. No false start or procedure penalties

Campbell hit his passes in stride (2 10 yard strikes including a nice one to Santana over the middle, the 20 yarder to ARE) and his footwork looked much more improved

Overall, hard to glean much of anything, but a positive start

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
DallasDomination;2173958 said:
What progress does a starter show on pre-season? The back-ups and rookies show progress, not starters.

With a QB, footwork and presence and timing.

The balls he threw were out QUICK, save for the TD pass which was a crossing route (and of course on crossing routes you have to hold the ball longer to let the route develop)

Those were the 2 big things from JC. Hard to glean too much considering the Colts weren't playing many people on D and its just the first preseason game

Downplaying a 5 of 5, 62 yard 1 TD performance deserves to get your football fan card revoked. That is just being a stupid homer

Sonny#9

Reaction score

Forget it -- some people are so blinded by homerism they can't see the forest through the trees. I think he's worried. :D

1fisher

Reaction score
Sonny#9;2174208 said:
Forget it -- some people are so blinded by homerism they can't see the forest through the trees. I think he's worried. :D

Your comic relief is needed, Sonny..... :laugh2: :laugh2:

silverbear

Reaction score

You're ridiculous man. You try everything possible the downplay any skins performance, no matter how decent it was.

You do know that you're hanging out on a Cowboys' board, don't you?? If you want blind Skins optimism, perhaps you should stick to Extremeskins... :D

Anybody who makes ANYTHING out of a first preseason game is grasping at straws... and in case you didn't notice, I did give the Skins props for looking more ORGANIZED on offense...

The fact with campbell is he didn't make any mistakes with game. His yards per pass average vastly inprovmed to 12.2. His accuaracy was A LOT better, and he finally found the endzone (something he struggled with in '07). While this was a small sample, and it's hard to judge any improvement from this performance, in no way did he show any form of Quincy Carter. Just because he hit one underneath on a 3rd and long, it somehow boosts his ratings? He had a decent night. That much you can admit.

He had wide open receivers, against a defense that was playing a bunch of backups, many of whom will be back bagging groceries in a month... even then, it was mostly short stuff...

Yippee... what he did was akin to ARod going 5 for 5, with one home run against minor league pitching...

AA minor league pitching, actually... he SHOULD prosper in that situation...

The Skins were missing 6/11 starters on defense. Somehow the colts miss 2 star players and all of sudden the Commanders success is dowplayed. Yet, the skins are missing half of their starters as well of course they don't get the same benefit of the doubt as the colts do.

Pay closer attention, homer, when I criticized the secondary I CLEARLY noted that it was backups leaving receivers to run free... I said you guys had best hope that your starters stay healthy all season, after watching the Colts' scrubs rip your backups for 320 yards...

You should thank God that the Colts decided to give Manning the day off, LOL...

silverbear

Reaction score
Sonny#9;2174208 said:

D*mn, I wish the Cowboys had Jason Campbell, instead of being stuck with Tony Romo...

Leave it to Skins fans to wet themselves over a first preseason game... I expected nothing less...

Excuse me for interrupting your little circle jerk, carry on...

Sonny#9

Reaction score
silverbear;2174469 said:
Anybody who makes ANYTHING out of a first preseason game is grasping at straws...

Very true...

silverbear;2174469 said:
...you guys had best hope that your starters stay healthy all season, after watching the Colts' scrubs rip your backups for 320 yards...

So are those straws you're grasping at?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
who cares? it was a freaking preseason game. I was just happy to watch some football again.

1fisher

Reaction score
Rampage;2174655 said:
who cares? it was a freaking preseason game. I was just happy to watch some football again while chomping on some 11 herbs and spices.

There.... fixed it for ya...