Halloween is Around The Corner: Scariest Monster

timb2

Reaction score
Ok with getting in the mood of Halloween. Who is the scariest monster? The Monster who could defeat all the others? What Monster scared you as a kid?

For me I thought the Wolfman was cool,but was terrified to watch him transform. The glaring eyes,the fangs,and the music got me. I would look but just peeking through my hands watching the movie. I'm not that old. In the 70s the TV would show the classic movies in the afternoon. The Creature from The Black Lagoon that creeped me out. It was the music and truthfully not what I saw but I believe I would see.

So tell us about your favorite scariest monsters?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Ok with getting in the mood of Halloween. Who is the scariest monster? The Monster who could defeat all the others?
The king of all monsters of course. :cool:

If a 70-story lizard coming down the street isn't scary, I don't know what is.

giphy.gif

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
As a kid the old Frankenstein movies terrified me. The black and white one where the little girl befriends him but he throws her in the lake is jarring. I agree above too that any doll that comes to life freaks me out. My brother had a Danny O Day be ventriloquist doll and I hid the thing nightly

Creeper

Reaction score
I think Alien was a pretty scary monster.

But when I was a bout 3 or so, my family was watching the original King Kong on our huge box TV with a 9" black and white screen and I was scared bleep-less. We were living in an apartment in NYC at the time and my mom had to take me to the laundry room with her because I was so scared. It was so traumatic I have memories of that day even now at 70.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
One night I locked myself in my room trying to separate myself from the angry and motivated figure outside my door looking to get in at me. All of a sudden, the door came crashing in having torn away from hinges and I was ripped out of my bed still clinging to the covers. Pop threw me a well deserved beating that night and I have never been scared like that since. Real life.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I think Alien was a pretty scary monster.

But when I was a bout 3 or so, my family was watching the original King Kong on our huge box TV with a 9" black and white screen and I was scared bleep-less. We were living in an apartment in NYC at the time and my mom had to take me to the laundry room with her because I was so scared. It was so traumatic I have memories of that day even now at 70.
Alien is my answer as well. I'm a huge fan.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I took a couple of days to consider my choice because I was stuck on the 'What Monster scared you as a kid?' criteria. For me, 'kid' is anybody before they hit 13. There were a few monsters that scared me before I reached adulthood, for instance James Carpenter's The Thing, but the criteria knocks those out of the running in my opinion.

Then there is the definition of monster itself. My all-time horror movie remains The Exorcist. Some people label Regan as a classic monster. I have said so in the past as well but I do not always see Regan as the monster in that film. I see her as The Devil personified. A.K.A. evil incarnate. Many movie monsters commit evil acts but Satan does what comes natural, lol.

All of the above narrows my choice to one monster. And it is a monster that does not usually scare monster lovers:

The Blob

I was around seven when I first saw Steve McQueen's 1950-something original during a sleepover at my grandmother's house. It came on television as a late night offering around 10. My eyes were glued until it ended and the tv station said goodnight (younger folks cannot relate, lol).

When I was a few years older, my mother took me with her to the theater and watched the 1972 remake. I thought I had gotten braver since my first time seeing that... thing. ha.

The Blob could squeeze through ANY nook, hole or cranny. That is an old adage but it was literally true. It was a gelatinous mass, whose sole motivation was consuming living creatures. (Note: I was still young and did not stop and think why this thing did not consume trees, bushes, etc., lol).

Zombies did not have anything on The Blob. Zombies ate brains. They might eat your flesh if it was part of their diet. Glutenous zombies might even eat your entire body but then it takes itself out of the terror equation because it would be too full to move again.

The Blob? Oh. It will squeeze itself through plumbing to get you. It will slime underneath a door or window sill. "Well, it is just goo right, DE?" Yeah. Sure. It was goo that if even a drop of it stuck to your clothes or skin, you are dead. Forget dead. It would spread over your entire body. Afterwards, it would immediately dissolve everything. Flesh. Bones. It did not care. The more it ate, the larger it grew. Plus, it had the capability of moving FAST. One second, it is resting fifty yards away. The next second. Well. You are lunch by then.

Cold was its only weakness. Freezing turned it inert.

Just typing all this brings back fond memories. Excuse me while I go stuff a beach towel underneath my office door now. :laugh: