Hangin' With The Boys: Charles is in Charge (guest is Charles Haley) 04.04.2024

Big D

Reaction score
Awesome interview! I never thought I'd say it but Charles is a pretty level headed guy. A couple of things he said stuck out to me.

• This will be the toughest season ever and we'll find out who has thick skin
  • He sees no dogs on the team
  • The way substitutions are used it's tough to get continuity so now the best defense is a potent offense.
  • He hasn't heard anyone vocalize that they want to win it all
There are many ways to interpret what he's saying but IMO he doesn't respect anything we've got defensively and it's up to the offense to overcome that without the help of coaching. A pretty tall order for any team.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I mentioned the same thing in another thread........Jerry is this making this more about earning your job or the next contract, That creates a sense of individualism.......every man for himself.

BTW......Haley has been accused of a lot of things but being dumb isn't one. He was always a smart player

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Awesome interview! I never thought I'd say it but Charles is a pretty level headed guy. A couple of things he said stuck out to me.

• The way substitutions are used it's tough to get continuity so now the best defense is a potent offense.
There are many ways to interpret what he's saying but IMO he doesn't respect anything we've got defensively and it's up to the offense to overcome that without the help of coaching. A pretty tall order for any team.
He's wrong, there are plenty of dogs on this team..

tunahelper

Reaction score

Agreed, it was a great interview. Charles explains how the great 90's team conducted day-to-day business.

Accomplishing greatness within a unit creates a bond amongst people. He describes how the approach is not pretty, but the collective will to be a champion overcame any and all obstacles.

This is a foreign language to our current team. Money and media have made these types of Superbowl teams extinct. Sadly, we may see these traits in a few individual players but likely not in whole teams any longer.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
There was that one time when Dak said it was time to go for a super bowl. Of course that was immediately after he signed his contract and hasn't done anything since to show he really meant it. I can't say I have heard anyone else say they wanted to win one.

The Dallas Cowboys have a roster full of players who just go through the motions and collect a pay check. There's no passion, there's no desire, and like Haley said, there are no dogs on the team.

Last edited:

acr731

Reaction score
Context......I agree with Haley but you have to crawl before you walk. In other words, this team can't make it to an NFCCG game.....accomplish that first, then talk Super Bowl.
This will never work when they don't have the passion to reach those goals in the first place. Remember - they had no problem vocalizing after getting stomped by GB that they were tired. The competitor that I am would have been pissed beyond belief, but not these guys. They just casually blew it off like it was no big deal. They were worn out. They were tired. If that's truly their attitude, no one in their right mind should be spending a single penny in support of that bunch of lazy losers.

In my opinion, I don't see any signs that they are even interested in crawling, much less walking.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This will never work when they don't have the passion to reach those goals in the first place. Remember - they had no problem vocalizing after getting stomped by GB that they were tired. The competitor that I am would have been pissed beyond belief, but not these guys. They just casually blew it off like it was no big deal. They were worn out. They were tired. If that's truly their attitude, no one in their right mind should be spending a single penny in support of that bunch of lazy losers.

In my opinion, I don't see any signs that they are even interested in crawling, much less walking.
I hate to say it but you are right and it appears the GB game was the straw that broke the camel's back for Jerry. It's hard to win the division, make the playoff, have 1/2 playoff games at home AND be healthy going into the postseason. But guess what, we had ALL of that in front of us and showed up unprepared, and unmotivated. If you can't play your best game then, when will you?

I honestly believe this is one reason for Jerry's approach to this offseason and maybe MM. I see him telling Jerry to give him not a bunch a entitled players but hungry and motivated guys with something to fight for regardless of talent.

Big D

Reaction score
There was that one time when Dak said it was time to go for a super bowl. Of course that was immediately after he signed his contract and hasn't done anything since to show he really meant it. I can't say I have heard anyone else say they wanted to win one.

The Dallas Cowboys have a roster full of players who just go through the motions and collect a pay check. There's no passion, there's no desire, and like Haley said, there are no dogs on the team.
Yeah I thought about that too he's the only one that said it and he's pretty much hated for it. everyone else is falling through the cracks at his expense. I also thought it was telling that he said we need to go pick up a receiver I don't think he thinks too much of Cederian.

acr731

Reaction score
Yeah I thought about that too he's the only one that said it and he's pretty much hated for it. everyone else is falling through the cracks at his expense. I also thought it was telling that he said we need to go pick up a receiver I don't think he thinks too much of Cederian.
As I have said many times, when Dak said it, it was the first time he openly said it as far as I can recall. It came across as him admitting that going after a super bowl wasn't important before he got paid. To me it told me everything I needed to know about Dak and what his priorities really were. That's why he received the hate for saying it.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Nah, not sarcasm. I think its a jab at the players who spend too much time reading what the media has to say when they should be ignoring it and just going out and doing their jobs.
totally agree