Recap: Hanging With Nate Newton: LVE/Hankins, Edges the problem? DQ has to get buy-in, Dumb players, Have to be dawgs AWAY

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Another Nate Newton podcast today with Jesse Holley out. I like Holley's takes, but Big Nate is one of the all-time Cowboys storytellers in line with dudes like Walt Garrison, so if you want full effect, listen to the one-hour podcast. Good questions from Shannon too to get it out of him, and Newy Scruggs had some funny stuff at the end about Philly's fan and radio station panic.

Would you rather play SF in early round or go further in Playoffs and face them?
  • One adjustment DQ could have made was bring someone else to the box, but you have to support your coaches now. Buffalo didn't just hit you in middle with Hankins gone, they ran everywhere. When do we hold the players accountable? Last year was the coaches.
  • When I played with 90's Cowboys and we became good, the type of guys... Eric Williams, Charles Haley, Tony Tolbert, James Washington, Michael Irvin, Larry Allen... they were dawgs. They DID NOT care home or road.
  • I remember once we went to NY and Strahan was talking smack. I'm in the background just watching. BigE asked them who you talking to and he said we talking to you and your boy Larry Allen. After that game, Strahan was giving us a look like "you like that?" So now, Big E and Larry upset. So Step upset, Tuey upset and Nate upset, and we fixing to grind you up! I'm not saying they don't have those guys, but home or away, if you want to take that step to NFC Championship it shouldn't matter home or away, we are going to bang you up and knock your teeth out.
Does LVE make a difference not being around?
  • It's a combination. They have to get back Hankins because of who they are. LVE could hold his own, and kept everyone lined up, but still needed help up front.
  • If you have a gap, and if you choose not to stay in your gap, it's a natural hold. I saw a lot of space on the sides. People said they pulled, and played eye candy tyrick. That was same thing happened with SF! It's about your assignment first, being physical in your assignment. We are only missing guys being more physical. It's a mindset. They body shotted us until eventually our Cowboys brought their arms down and hit us in the head. They didn't give up but they decided to stay healthy to get out of this.
If edges are the problem, what's your solution?
  • When things fall apart, the natural instinct is to go back to who you are. We have pass rushers. That's who they are. I can't say why these guys don't want to stay in their gap. But it was 14-0 and I told the reporter next to me it's over. Our guys want to pass rush, these guys want to run the ball, our QB don't stand a chance because he can't run the ball to offset Oliver, Floyd, etc. He's also not a rain guy. Troy wasn't either. The ball heavy and wet, it won't happen.
  • You can win Super Bowls like that, but your offense has to be so efficient.
  • The Colts. Peyton knew this. Why I get so mad at McCarthy going on 4th downs. Kick the FG! If we playing to mentality of a defensive player, all he is seeing is we're ahead. I can get that effort. But if defensive player looks and it's even or he is losing, his mindset changes. You want this D to know you are going to get some points.
So if you're DQ and know this is coming again, do you fix this?
  • You fixing to play the #1 run team Miami and #4 Detroit, it's coming. DQ should be saying I'm not sleeping until I fix this. Tell the wife to get me some black coffee.
  • DQ must find a way to get his team to buy in!
  • A lot of time, if your leaders are not bought in, it's a problem. You are what you are physically. It's mental.
  • It's a GREAT thing to be playing Miami and Detroit next. The Cowboys are in the Playoffs starting Sunday! Washington is stupid, they going to throw. But Miami and Detroit not going to change who they are. Detroit is physical and the coach ain't going to smile. We can't be waiting on what Philadelphia is going to do. That's the problem. Don't worry, just win. Winning solves everything.
Sam Williams dumb play?
  • We have talked enough about this. Penalties. Dumb, not informed, however you want to say it, players. We need players that understand what is going on.
  • I am reluctant about saying 'smart' because I wasn't either. But I had enough good players and coaches around me to make me keep my head in the game and remind me. Someone needs to be a protector with Sam.
  • I was cut from Washington because I wasn't exposed and aware how big it was. You have to care too. Once you care, you look around. I know Sam is an emotional guy, you can just tell by how he plays. Just think, if he hadn't tackled QB play before it would have been first down. But as soon as he went into the air, me, Church and Isaiah all looked at each other and shook our heads.
  • This is Nate talking -- I had to slow down on friends around me, and start surround me with people who wanted the game. Charles Haley, Tony Tolbert, Michael Irvin.. sometimes that can be a bad thing. LOL But when you see guys like Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith locked in... When you do something silly like jump sides or roll up on somebody and you see the look on their faces --- "Bra, we down by 3, what are you doing?! Get focused. We got this team!" It makes a difference.
  • Just think if Sam had ran that QB down, blocked the punt, and scored. Suddenly you player of the week.
  • People that say their job don't affect their outside world, don't live in the real world. The things you do at home is going to leak into your job. If you're not focused on who you are... drunk, argument with your girl, when you come to your job, you don't think people know? If you tell Charles Haley about your chick, he going to look at you and say, "We at work."
  • Media is saying we never lose two games in a row. It would be a shame if you stop Miami, because you just let Buffalo roll over. You still have to wait on Philadelphia. Philly is wounded and hurt. When they left here, you could tell. But WE are keeping Philadelphia alive!
Miami matchup?
  • Faster team. You ain't getting these guys on an angle. DQ must figure out how to get them to buy in. If you miss, it's minimum of 25 yards. You must tackle.
  • Everyone saying Miami hasn't beat a team above .500. This is just their coach's second year. They have defensive studs. 48 sacks. Talk about it tomorrow. But more I look at AFC, more I find out these guys are punishing one another. AFC is stacked. Only a few NFC teams that are for real, but there are at least 2 in each AFC division. If these teams fire their coaches, you have 100 coaches lined up. You better quit hating on DQ, because he has a real chance to exit this year.
  • Play to your strength. Our strength is now our offense. They can make adjustments.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Offense wasn't exactly our strength against the Bills.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The part where Nate is saying our guys just want to rush the passer and aren’t staying in their lanes is telling.

They are playing for the glory stats and are freelancing.

That’s a problem. Run D is all about competitive will, discipline, focus, toughness, good tackling, and consistency. We gotta earn the right to rush the passer.

How they come out Sunday will tell us a lot about DQ.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
The part where Nate is saying our guys just want to rush the passer and aren’t staying in their lanes is telling.

That’s a problem. Run D is all about competitive will, discipline, focus, toughness, good tackling, and consistency. We gotta earn the right to rush the passer.

Been a problem for the 3 years DQ has been here - the players are too busy stat chasing and NOT playing with gap integrity

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Tank needs to get these young bucks in line if he's the leader that he present himself as every Sound of the Sidelines clip. One of the few edges we have that I feel tries to stop the run.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They body shotted us until eventually our Cowboys brought their arms down and hit us in the head. They didn't give up but they decided to stay healthy to get out of this.
Interesting "Inside the NFL" take.
Definitely a case of who wants it more. They were willing to fight and we weren't.

CWR

Reaction score

It's telling but it's not new by any means. They keep reverting back to it on tough games. If you can't maintain your assignment you belong on the bench.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Another Nate Newton podcast today with Jesse Holley out. I like Holley's takes, but Big Nate is one of the all-time Cowboys storytellers in line with dudes like Walt Garrison, so if you want full effect, listen to the one-hour podcast. Good questions from Shannon too to get it out of him, and Newy Scruggs had some funny stuff at the end about Philly's fan and radio station panic.

Would you rather play SF in early round or go further in Playoffs and face them?
  • One adjustment DQ could have made was bring someone else to the box, but you have to support your coaches now. Buffalo didn't just hit you in middle with Hankins gone, they ran everywhere. When do we hold the players accountable? Last year was the coaches.
  • When I played with 90's Cowboys and we became good, the type of guys... Eric Williams, Charles Haley, Tony Tolbert, James Washington, Michael Irvin, Larry Allen... they were dawgs. They DID NOT care home or road.
  • I remember once we went to NY and Strahan was talking smack. I'm in the background just watching. BigE asked them who you talking to and he said we talking to you and your boy Larry Allen. After that game, Strahan was giving us a look like "you like that?" So now, Big E and Larry upset. So Step upset, Tuey upset and Nate upset, and we fixing to grind you up! I'm not saying they don't have those guys, but home or away, if you want to take that step to NFC Championship it shouldn't matter home or away, we are going to bang you up and knock your teeth out.
Does LVE make a difference not being around?
  • It's a combination. They have to get back Hankins because of who they are. LVE could hold his own, and kept everyone lined up, but still needed help up front.
  • If you have a gap, and if you choose not to stay in your gap, it's a natural hold. I saw a lot of space on the sides. People said they pulled, and played eye candy tyrick. That was same thing happened with SF! It's about your assignment first, being physical in your assignment. We are only missing guys being more physical. It's a mindset. They body shotted us until eventually our Cowboys brought their arms down and hit us in the head. They didn't give up but they decided to stay healthy to get out of this.
If edges are the problem, what's your solution?
  • When things fall apart, the natural instinct is to go back to who you are. We have pass rushers. That's who they are. I can't say why these guys don't want to stay in their gap. But it was 14-0 and I told the reporter next to me it's over. Our guys want to pass rush, these guys want to run the ball, our QB don't stand a chance because he can't run the ball to offset Oliver, Floyd, etc. He's also not a rain guy. Troy wasn't either. The ball heavy and wet, it won't happen.
  • You can win Super Bowls like that, but your offense has to be so efficient.
  • The Colts. Peyton knew this. Why I get so mad at McCarthy going on 4th downs. Kick the FG! If we playing to mentality of a defensive player, all he is seeing is we're ahead. I can get that effort. But if defensive player looks and it's even or he is losing, his mindset changes. You want this D to know you are going to get some points.
So if you're DQ and know this is coming again, do you fix this?
  • You fixing to play the #1 run team Miami and #4 Detroit, it's coming. DQ should be saying I'm not sleeping until I fix this. Tell the wife to get me some black coffee.
  • DQ must find a way to get his team to buy in!
  • A lot of time, if your leaders are not bought in, it's a problem. You are what you are physically. It's mental.
  • It's a GREAT thing to be playing Miami and Detroit next. The Cowboys are in the Playoffs starting Sunday! Washington is stupid, they going to throw. But Miami and Detroit not going to change who they are. Detroit is physical and the coach ain't going to smile. We can't be waiting on what Philadelphia is going to do. That's the problem. Don't worry, just win. Winning solves everything.
Sam Williams dumb play?
  • We have talked enough about this. Penalties. Dumb, not informed, however you want to say it, players. We need players that understand what is going on.
  • I am reluctant about saying 'smart' because I wasn't either. But I had enough good players and coaches around me to make me keep my head in the game and remind me. Someone needs to be a protector with Sam.
  • I was cut from Washington because I wasn't exposed and aware how big it was. You have to care too. Once you care, you look around. I know Sam is an emotional guy, you can just tell by how he plays. Just think, if he hadn't tackled QB play before it would have been first down. But as soon as he went into the air, me, Church and Isaiah all looked at each other and shook our heads.
  • This is Nate talking -- I had to slow down on friends around me, and start surround me with people who wanted the game. Charles Haley, Tony Tolbert, Michael Irvin.. sometimes that can be a bad thing. LOL But when you see guys like Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith locked in... When you do something silly like jump sides or roll up on somebody and you see the look on their faces --- "Bra, we down by 3, what are you doing?! Get focused. We got this team!" It makes a difference.
  • Just think if Sam had ran that QB down, blocked the punt, and scored. Suddenly you player of the week.
  • People that say their job don't affect their outside world, don't live in the real world. The things you do at home is going to leak into your job. If you're not focused on who you are... drunk, argument with your girl, when you come to your job, you don't think people know? If you tell Charles Haley about your chick, he going to look at you and say, "We at work."
  • Media is saying we never lose two games in a row. It would be a shame if you stop Miami, because you just let Buffalo roll over. You still have to wait on Philadelphia. Philly is wounded and hurt. When they left here, you could tell. But WE are keeping Philadelphia alive!
Miami matchup?
  • Faster team. You ain't getting these guys on an angle. DQ must figure out how to get them to buy in. If you miss, it's minimum of 25 yards. You must tackle.
  • Everyone saying Miami hasn't beat a team above .500. This is just their coach's second year. They have defensive studs. 48 sacks. Talk about it tomorrow. But more I look at AFC, more I find out these guys are punishing one another. AFC is stacked. Only a few NFC teams that are for real, but there are at least 2 in each AFC division. If these teams fire their coaches, you have 100 coaches lined up. You better quit hating on DQ, because he has a real chance to exit this year.
  • Play to your strength. Our strength is now our offense. They can make adjustments.

I am hopeful.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It's telling but it's not new by any means. They keep reverting back to it on tough games. If you can't maintain your assignment you belong on the bench.
It's the one thing that gives me hope they can overcome this. Because we have seen it before. Wasted in the run game and then the D playing disciplined as hell the next week.

Remember, the D came through against Christan McCaffrey in Playoffs last year. Seems like we can never get offense AND defense to click together when it counts most.

Reactions: CWR

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
And to respond to my own thread, LOL, I agree with Nate on Sam Williams needing a protector.

That was my first reaction on why Big Mac was angry at Bones, because it was definitely a great call to change the momentum.

Mac knows his players, someone should have been there pulling his helmet down and eye-to-eye "don't %#*$# this up!" before the play went off.

.... or maybe in a more respectful or remindful of the situation way, but you get my drift.

CWR

Reaction score
It's the one thing that gives me hope they can overcome this. Because we have seen it before. Wasted in the run game and then the D playing disciplined as hell the next week.

Remember, the D came through against Christan McCaffrey in Playoffs last year. Seems like we can never get offense AND defense to click together when it counts most.
Yes it's happened 3 or 4 times. It's fairly infuriating we are able to correct the following week when it should be corrected THAT GAME. Although I'm with you in having hope, and that's a good thing.

This game is a bit different though because it will be a balancing act with their speed. I know Reek, and Waddle have been dinged up and Achane is out I believe, but they are just a lighting quick team. Mostert is a SPARQ freak as well.

We have to maintain discipline but still need a formidable pass rush.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Been a problem for the 3 years DQ has been here - the players are too busy stat chasing and NOT playing with gap integrity
3/4s of the posters here reflect this mentality and its starts with dogging D-Law, and his lack of sacks.

You doh't build a defence stopping the pass first late in the season and into the playoffs. You build championship teams who can make teams one dimensional.

One dimensional on defence because your offence is so efficient that the defence starts sitting in base (typically nickle now) because they don't know what you are going to call so you can run or pass effectively against them at will.

One dimensional on offence because your defence has taken away the run, and they are forced to pass into tighter windows and more traffic. Losing the run into the post season is typically a fast way to exit the playoffs because losing the run means you are:

1. Losing time of possession game.
2. Passing is more risky in post-season games. Especially in northern outdoor games.
3. You are losing control of the LOS. If football is anything it is owning the LOS on both sides of the ball. This is the key to victory in all NFL games. If you control the LOS then you are able to execute NFL calibre plays because with time you can make Devito look like Mahomes.
4. The mental aspect of the game. As a player who was a defender in the game there is nothing that is more debilitating than being run on. You are being roadgraded and put on your *** the whole game, and eventually it snowballs on you. The refs are just reacting in awe on you getting your ***** kicked. People start making business decisions because they just want to make it to the next game. And you don't have ansers for being beat up physically.

Playing fundamental gap control football. Stopping the run on defence, and making your opponents one-dimensional by beating them up is winning playoff football.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

I say this nearly every game.

They have a 'rack up stats' mentality -- or so it appears.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
HWTB is must-see during football season. I learn stuff about the game and get a few laughs, every time.
I’ve found good stuff on all of them but the two DC.COM productions i enjoy the most and learn from the most are Hanging with the Boys and the Pre-Game and Post-Game Shows with Church, Stanback and Newton. (Deep Blue is fantastic too but those are documentaries.)There is good stuff on the national broadcasts, especially when some of the ex-players and coaches review film, but they do have to focus on the entire league so it’s good to have the local focus. Because most of the guys on the local radio sport shows are there for entertainment more than their football experience.

pasando

Reaction score
It's very simple why we haven't won a SB in over 28yrs... The CEO/GM allows/fosters a culture where stats, individual awards, bloated contracts, spotlight PR, etc... are in the forefront of most players minds....

pitt33

Reaction score

Parsons is exactly one of those players.

He cares about his sack numbers.

The man pouts when he doesn’t get one.