Recap: Hanging With the Boys Podcast - Nate Newton & Jesse Holley's take on game

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Newton & Holley have some good chemistry, and I think it's DC.Com's best broadcast right now. Link below if you want the audio.

Hangin' with the Boys: The Sky Isn't Falling (dallascowboys.com)

Nate Newton
  • I knew pretty quickly it was going to be a bad day. Our coaches tried but not our players. We didn’t meet force with force. Their energy was higher.
  • When you get hit in the mouth six times, you get slowed down. Along with the middle of our defense, we also gave up the edges. Even Parsons and Kearse, who are always moving, started to slow down, so the coaches started calling plays to send them downfield.
  • A game is always predicated on the offense. They let down the defense.
  • Good teams will bounce back. It may take two games. The great teams are going to be in the 2nd round of the Playoffs.
  • When I got home and looked at the other scores in the league, I felt better.
  • Fix the middle of the defense.
  • These guys saying “we needed that loss” -- You couldn’t have played for Jimmy Johnson. Ugly wins better than a loss.
  • La’el’s technique has to get much better. La’el is out of shape. Yes, Steele had issues and needs experience, but his technique is nice. La’el is fixable, but needs to concentrate. You weren’t injured, just suspended. I have given La’el so many props. I was a fat guy too but when my job was threatened I responded. La’el’s job was threatened. He could have had a lot more holding called against him.
  • This game did not start with the offensive line having problems early. Denver shot their safety in the perfect gap. There was an overthrow with no one on our QB. But as the game got uglier, the line needed to make that surge. No one could make plays.
  • You beat the Cowboys by getting the lead early and just continuing to run the ball. Kick the FGs. Denver saw what NE did and went with it.
  • Everyone was on Cooper Rush last week, but I was complimenting CeeDee, Amari, Zeke, rest of the guys. They were making plays to help him. I think that took it out of them and they couldn’t bring it a second week.
  • I’ve been in games like this. You go in thinking you got it. But somewhere in the 2nd quarter, you realize you can’t flip the switch.
  • Diggs has to understand when we don’t have the lead, you can’t play like that. He’ll learn.
  • I chalk it up to a bad day, because they haven’t played that way this year.
Jesse Holley

• This is the Yankee/Laker/North Carolina effect. When you’re the Dallas Cowboys, every single week, no matter who your opponent, you’re going to get their best. They want to beat you.
  • Denver came in with a purpose and executed to perfection. I kept telling myself, we’ll be ok, we’ll flip the switch. Someone forgot to tell the power company.
  • Very few teams get a chance to run off all their games in a row. The sky isn’t falling. BUT it did expose some things that have to be cleaned up.
  • This wasn’t a trap game. You have to be in the game for it to be a trap game. This was a “we got whopped” game.
  • There was one play I saw where La’el’s technique was so poor.... when a good player has bad technique, it’s bad conditioning. La’el never been a guy committed to his conditioning.
  • Cowboys have been going for it all year. A Coach is trying to create the momentum. But every time they tried to create one of the “mojo moments” it didn’t work. I can tell McCarthy knew he had to get something going.
  • I also get keeping Dak in. First of all, he hasn’t earned it to leave. Never leave the court on a missed shot. Even a basketball coach will tell if you missed the last shot, you get the ball, and lay it up. They had to find some type of rhythm for Dak. I don’t know what it was. We’ve seen him miss months and come out on fire. He just didn’t have it and Denver made it very difficult for him to find it.
  • Brandon Marshall made a statement: “No one is afraid of Trevon Diggs.” I didn’t like the Deion comparisons. People feared Deion. I played against Revis and understood why people didn’t throw to Darelle Revis. QBs aren’t staying away from Diggs, they are double-moving him. The bad part about him having 7 INTs, is he wants #8. Now he’s in a bad mode. It reminds me of guys like Jackrabbit and Marcus Peters, they get you, but when you get them it’s a touchdown.
  • Postgame comment that stood out to me the most was CeeDee Lamb – “We didn’t have a good practice.” Football is different than other sports. Practice carries over. In basketball, you can get hot. If multiple guys are on wrong page, you fail. Even if 10 guys are doing the right thing, it only takes one guy to ruin it. Zeke’s 4th down, the guys blocked right, Zeke needs to make him miss. Everyone has to do their part.
  • I chalk it up as a bad game too. But there can’t be no carry-over against Atlanta. Dak has to come out making throws. Matt Ryan threw for 350 yards. Kyle Pitts can play. You have to understand, especially with 17 games, the season is still alive for most teams. Have to see some leadership this week from players, don’t care who it comes from. This will snowball if you allow It to. Burn the film, get ready for Atlanta.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Newton & Holley have some good chemistry, and I think it's DC.Com's best broadcast right now. Link below if you want the audio.

Nate Newton
  • I knew pretty quickly it was going to be a bad day. Our coaches tried but not our players. We didn’t meet force with force. Their energy was higher.
  • When you get hit in the mouth six times, you get slowed down. Along with the middle of our defense, we also gave up the edges. Even Parsons and Kearse, who are always moving, started to slow down, so the coaches started calling plays to send them downfield.
  • Good teams will bounce back. It may take two games. The great teams are going to be in the 2nd round of the Playoffs.
  • These guys saying “we needed that loss” -- You couldn’t have played for Jimmy Johnson. Ugly wins better than a loss.
  • La’el’s technique has to get much better. La’el is out of shape. Yes, Steele had issues and needs experience, but his technique is nice. La’el is fixable, but needs to concentrate. You weren’t injured, just suspended. I have given La’el so many props. I was a fat guy too but when my job was threatened I responded. La’el’s job was threatened. He could have had a lot more holding called against him.
  • This game did not start with the offensive line having problems early. Denver shot their safety in the perfect gap. There was an overthrow with no one on our QB. But as the game got uglier, the line needed to make that surge. No one could make plays.
  • You beat the Cowboys by getting the lead early and just continuing to run the ball. Kick the FGs. Denver saw what NE did and went with it.
  • Everyone was on Cooper Rush last week, but I was complimenting CeeDee, Amari, Zeke, rest of the guys. They were making plays to help him. I think that took it out of them and they couldn’t bring it a second week.
  • I’ve been in games like this. You go in thinking you got it. But somewhere in the 2nd quarter, you realize you can’t flip the switch.
  • Diggs has to understand when we don’t have the lead, you can’t play like that. He’ll learn.
Jesse Holley

• This is the Yankee/Laker/North Carolina effect. When you’re the Dallas Cowboys, every single week, no matter who your opponent, you’re going to get their best. They want to beat you.
  • Denver came in with a purpose and executed to perfection. I kept telling myself, we’ll be ok, we’ll flip the switch. Someone forgot to tell the power company.
  • Very few teams get a chance to run off all their games in a row. The sky isn’t falling. BUT it did expose some things that have to be cleaned up.
  • This wasn’t a trap game. You have to be in the game for it to be a trap game. This was a “we got whopped” game.
  • There was one play I saw where La’el’s technique was so poor.... when a good player has bad technique, it’s bad conditioning. La’el never been a guy committed to his conditioning.
  • Cowboys have been going for it all year. A Coach is trying to create the momentum. But every time they tried to create one of the “mojo moments” it didn’t work. I can tell McCarthy knew he had to get something going.
  • I also get keeping Dak in. First of all, he hasn’t earned it to leave. Never leave the court on a missed shot. Even a basketball coach will tell if you missed the last shot, you get the ball, and lay it up. They had to find some type of rhythm for Dak. I don’t know what it was. We’ve seen him miss months and come out on fire. He just didn’t have it and Denver made it very difficult for him to find it.
  • Brandon Marshall made a statement: “No one is afraid of Trevon Diggs.” I didn’t like the Deion comparisons. People feared Deion. I played against Revis and understood why people didn’t throw to Darelle Revis. QBs aren’t staying away from Diggs, they are double-moving him. The bad part about him having 7 INTs, is he wants #8. Now he’s in a bad mode. It reminds me of guys like Jackrabbit and Marcus Peters, they get you, but when you get them it’s a touchdown.
  • Postgame comment that stood out to me the most was CeeDee Lamb – “We didn’t have a good practice.” Football is different than other sports. Practice carries over. In basketball, you can get hot. If multiple guys are on wrong page, you fail. Even if 10 guys are doing the right thing, it only takes one guy to ruin it. Zeke’s 4th down, the guys blocked right, Zeke needs to make him miss. Everyone has to do their part.
  • I chalk it up as a bad game too. But there can’t be no carry-over against Atlanta. Dak has to come out making throws. Matt Ryan threw for 350 yards. Kyle Pitts can play. You have to understand, especially with 17 games, the season is still alive for most teams. Have to see some leadership this week from players, don’t care who it comes from. This will snowball if you allow It to. Burn the film, get ready for Atlanta.
Thanks for posting, its very informative to get former players insights...

plymkr

Reaction score

Nate Newton
Jesse Holley

Thank you for recapping, I appreciate it.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Pretty much the way I saw it.

One thing that stood out with Nate and Jesse's analysis: our highest paid players did not show up and do their part to make plays and help right this ship during the game.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, its very informative to get former players insights...
Great post. Too often we get the analytics guys, or the journalism nerds, the Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith types etc....I understand their role in this whole things...but the guys that actually played...they KNOW what they see when they are watching

I personally don't think the middle of the defense will get fixed this year. It is really a matter of staying out of situations that allow it to be exposed. I thought it would would get exposed from the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Matt Stafford, Kyler Murray....but NOT Teddy Bridgewater!!!!!!!!! Our offense is the protection from the middle of the defense. It has been that way for a while

It is too bad that the draft capital spent (1st on Leighton Vander Esch, 2nd on Trysten Hill, 2nd on Jaylon Smith) did not pan out. Think about it....we have not even gotten AVERAGE performance out of these 3. Sure, Van Der Esch and Jaylon flashed for a hot second. But if the both of them were playing to 65% of their draft status....that would be steady...with Micah Parsons providing the spectacular.

We need a couple of guys that will just do their job. Fill gaps. Force RBs towards the help. A good mix of draft picks and a couple of mid priced free agents will be needed. Maybe we can parlay the surplus on the OL and at WR into help for the middle of this defense.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Pretty damning info on La’El. First he gets suspended, then he doesn’t care enough to get in shape? Even when his job is threatened? We need Tyron back and Steele at RT until Collins decides he wants to put the work in on his conditioning….

Love Nate’s take on players who say “we needed this loss.” LVE was for sure one— not sure who else is in that camp. Nate said a player like that couldn’t have played for Jimmy…. We still have guys that don’t “get it” when it comes to having a winner’s mentality.

Bottom line: learn from the beatdown, move on, get back to work, and focus on beating Atlanta.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Pretty damning info on La’El. First he gets suspended, then he doesn’t care enough to get in shape? Even when his job is threatened? We need Tyron back and Steele at RT until Collins decides he wants to put the work in on his conditioning….

Love Nate’s take on players who say “we needed this loss.” LVE was for sure one— not sure who else is in that camp. Nate said a player like that couldn’t have played for Jimmy…. We still have guys that don’t “get it” when it comes to having a winner’s mentality.

Bottom line: learn from the beatdown, move on, get back to work, and focus on beating Atlanta.
LVEs attitude has bothered me all year. He needs to go. His comments after Jaylon, what he said to parsons. The guys just a loser. IMO he’s what’s holding this defense back. He’s a poodle on a defense with Rottweilers.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
LVEs attitude has bothered me all year. He needs to go. His comments after Jaylon, what he said to parsons. The guys just a loser. IMO he’s what’s holding this defense back. He’s a poodle on a defense with Rottweilers.

Yah… he is not a dawg. He seems like a nice home-schooled kid. Polite. Respectful.

But there is zero “nasty” to his game. For a big as he is physically— there is simply not enough pop and aggression when he arrives.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Something is up with La'el. He had over a month to rest, heal up and was allowed in the facility so there's no excuse to be out of shape. We're going to learn a lot about the OL this upcoming week. First, who the coaches decide to play and where, and second who performs well...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Nate absolutely nailed it. Team came out with no emotion thinking they already had the game won. They didn't get themselves ready to play and once the same got going it was too late.

And also that Collins looked terrible. Like Nate said, he was suspended, not injured, so no excuse to not be physically ready. But I saw a couple plays when Dak rolled out where he blocked for about a two count and then literally stood and watched, or at best walked. Sorry, I don't want guys like that on my team even if they are talented.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Something is up with La'el. He had over a month to rest, heal up and was allowed in the facility so there's no excuse to be out of shape. We're going to learn a lot about the OL this upcoming week. First, who the coaches decide to play and where, and second who performs well...

Pretty bad when Nate calls you out. Nate is one of the most positive guys on the DC podcasts, but he doesn't waste time with bull#$%*# and I think we'd all agree he's a certified expert on the OLine. All the crap in that game and Nate spent most of his time giving LC the business. That's how bad it looks.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yah… he is not a dawg. He seems like a nice home-schooled kid. Polite. Respectful.

But there is zero “nasty” to his game. For a big as he is physically— there is simply not enough pop and aggression when he arrives.

Watching him interact in Hard Knocks and Sounds of the Games clips, hate to say it, but he just gives the impression of someone who doesn't get it. Serviceable enough for this season but no new contract. Parsons looking like a great great pick, but only making up for all the duds like LVE and Bobby C. You pick that many stinkers, you deserve a HOF talent. LOL

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Bro, did LVE say "we needed that loss"?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Great post. Too often we get the analytics guys, or the journalism nerds, the Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith types etc....I understand their role in this whole things...but the guys that actually played...they KNOW what they see when they are watching

I personally don't think the middle of the defense will get fixed this year. It is really a matter of staying out of situations that allow it to be exposed. I thought it would would get exposed from the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Matt Stafford, Kyler Murray....but NOT Teddy Bridgewater!!!!!!!!! Our offense is the protection from the middle of the defense. It has been that way for a while

It is too bad that the draft capital spent (1st on Leighton Vander Esch, 2nd on Trysten Hill, 2nd on Jaylon Smith) did not pan out. Think about it....we have not even gotten AVERAGE performance out of these 3. Sure, Van Der Esch and Jaylon flashed for a hot second. But if the both of them were playing to 65% of their draft status....that would be steady...with Micah Parsons providing the spectacular.

We need a couple of guys that will just do their job. Fill gaps. Force RBs towards the help. A good mix of draft picks and a couple of mid priced free agents will be needed. Maybe we can parlay the surplus on the OL and at WR into help for the middle of this defense.
Another quality defensive minded draft like last year might do the trick?

75boyz

Reaction score
Pretty bad when Nate calls you out. Nate is one of the most positive guys on the DC podcasts, but he doesn't waste time with bull#$%*# and I think we'd all agree he's a certified expert on the OLine. All the crap in that game and Nate spent most of his time giving LC the business. That's how bad it looks.

Exactly, excellent post. The left side is even worse though unfortunately.
Without trying too much to toot my own horn, but okay, maybe a little, my preseason opinion of this teams success beginning and ending with the full 17 game health of the tackles looks pretty accurate.

It may can now be nrrowed down just to Tyron's health since Steele has at least proven to be a serviceable RT.

I'm at a point where the sense of urgency to get this fixed is not being emphasized enough.

Lots of coaching up, fingers crossed, hoping and praying that this situation is fixed sooner than later.
If not, I believe losses will result.

jmo