Hanna is a beast

Macnalty

Reaction score
Watching him try to high point balls downfield is kinda sad.
He is average which is not that bad we are blessed with some great catchers on this team, Witten, Beasley, and Dez are outstanding, maybe add Sean Lee to that list. Hanna has not won the offensive coordinators trust I will grant you that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hanna is a poor route runner because he loses so much speed out of his breaks. That is not going to change in year 7 or wherever he is. He also lacks ball skills and hands.

As a blocker he excels. He is the best blocking TE we have had since MartyB and he is better than MartyB at blocking in space on the move.

He has great technique and scheme knowledge.

He does not move people off the spot like MartyB did but the Cowboys prefer precision over brute force for their 2nd TEs.

Maybe Rico can eventually do both. His power on inline blocking was terrific but his technique and scheme knowledge needs work.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Funny he was known as only a receiving TE in college.

Seems neither coaching staff can see all of his talent and use it properly.
I don't think its that....I just think they know they have Zeke, Witten, Dez, Beasley and Terrance.....so how do you maximize guys who may not get as many touches? In Hanna's case.....its blocking. They just have too many weapons.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is average which is not that bad we are blessed with some great catchers on this team, Witten, Beasley, and Dez are outstanding, maybe add Sean Lee to that list. Hanna has not won the offensive coordinators trust I will grant you that.
Hanna is OK if he is wide open but struggles with contested catches. Swaim is a little more natural as a receiver but less athletic.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Hanna is OK if he is wide open but struggles with contested catches. Swaim is a little more natural as a receiver but less athletic.
X I would have to disagree about Hanna, the drops he used to have were in fact when he was wide open(this was why he dropped in the draft), he was very frustrating at Oklahoma. I cannot remember too many contested catches but will honor your memory over mine. If we could combine his traits with Escobar we might have something.

links18

Reaction score
Not to highjack this thread, but I hope Hanna teaches Rico some blocking techniques. With Hanna and Witten's help, Gathers could be a really good TE one day.

He won't be teaching Rico much of anything for the next seven weeks.