Happy Birthday to the Big Tuna

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Absolutely -- that was his major ticket for hiring Bill to start with. He had to give up much of his say-so to sign and keep him around. He always took care to say kind things about Jerry, although, I'm sure he got considerably impatient with both he and Stephen on many occasions. In fact, Tuna and Stephen reportedly had some rough discussions more than once. I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall to listen to them. I know Bill was glad to leave here, especially, since Jerry paid him very handsomely to keep some things quiet, according to reports.

Never heard that one Bullflop…. what were the rumors that he paid him to keep quiet?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Bill Parcells - 6th Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys.
Took over after three straight 5-11 seasons.
Three winning seasons out of four; 34-30 regular season record; two wildcard playoff berths.
Witten, Romo, and Ware joined the team under his tenure. (CZers - feel free to list other notable Cowboys players that came aboard under his watch.)
Got the franchise back to a somewhat competive mode in this century.
81 years - hoping he is aging well.

I wish he had another year left in him when he retired. That 2007 team might have actually done something with him at the helm.

Wade won one playoff game in his career. Parcells won two SBs. What might have been...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Never heard that one Bullflop…. what were the rumors that he paid him to keep quiet?

Parcells never let it slip, although, knowing Jerry, it could have been almost anything controversial. There were rumors that Jerry paid Bill a million bucks to keep quiet. He honored his vow of silence. How anyone knew the amount is beyond me but some scribe in the media let it out. Jimmy Johnson revealed that Jerry absconded moneys that some of the players paid in fines, at one point toward the end of their relationship. That was fairly scandalous, in itself.

Last edited:

Majic

Reaction score
Did a remarkable job given the circumstances. Real shame he retired when he did. When he left Valley Ranch for the final time, the football acumen in the building took a big hit.

Look at the coaching staff and the players he drafted.

My favourite Cowboys coach of all time.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Three winning seasons out of four; 34-30 regular season record; two wildcard playoff berths.
Witten, Romo, and Ware joined the team under his tenure. (CZers - feel free to list other notable Cowboys players that came aboard under his watch.)

Besides coaching Dallas, BP reworked their draft process. BP had the scouts and team work together and focus on players profile that fits the team system. I remember BP and others saying this was not happening prior to his arrival. No wonder our drafts were horrible until he came along.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Most over rated tenure of all time for sure. I few stupid quotes and he is a beloved folk hero. Complete failure as a head coach here.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Most over rated tenure of all time for sure. I few stupid quotes and he is a beloved folk hero. Complete failure as a head coach here.

Ridiculous. He rebuilt this team on the run, squeezing 10-6 and a playoff berth out of Quincy Carter and the other bums he inherited his first season and leaving us the most talented roster in the NFC when he left. We were a clown show when he arrived and Super Bowl favorites when he left. With a better successor coach, we might have gotten that Super Bowl.

Big_D

Reaction score
Ridiculous. He rebuilt this team on the run, squeezing 10-6 and a playoff berth out of Quincy Carter and the other bums he inherited his first season and leaving us the most talented roster in the NFC when he left. We were a clown show when he arrived and Super Bowl favorites when he left. With a better successor coach, we might have gotten that Super Bowl.

Some apparently don’t remember the crap show in 2002. The team was a sinking ship and Jerry was in dire straits for an actual football guy to fix his mess. That’s when you knew he was desperate when he went out and got a guy like Parcells.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm usually my most content coming to this website. Many interesting conversations come into play hereabouts. Some funny and some as crazy as they could be. I'm sure you know about that -- anything can and will be batted around here! It's usually a fun ride, often a bit intense, also. ;)

You've got a lot of spunk for someone 81.

My dad is 77. He's sort of the same way.

Cheers to you, good buddy.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I always liked Bill.
Good coach and
Some really good quotes.
Hope he's doing well.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
He arrived, we were a laughing stock.

He left, we were a young playoff contender.

And he did it tied to Jerry and Stephen and at an age when Tom Landry was getting fired.
And with Quincy Crackhead Carter and Vinnie Testeverde at QB. He had zero talent on offense his entire time here and got 10 wins out of them one season.

75boyz

Reaction score
I wish he had another year left in him when he retired. That 2007 team might have actually done something with him at the helm.

Wade won one playoff game in his career. Parcells won two SBs. What might have been...

Yep, that 2007 squad is still my fave since those 90s glory years. Very nice roster on both sides of the ball with a little depth even on defense.

HBD Coach, appreciate ya.

Motorola

Reaction score
A lot of CZers \ Cowboys fans don't appreciate Parcells' time in Dallas because he coached one of the Cowboys' division rival New York Giants to two NFL Championships.
We're witnessing a similar thing nearly two decades later - with Mike McCarthy.
He was the head coach when Dallas' muttiple-time playoff opponent Green Bay won their last NFL title.
And...McCarthy's Packers eliminated two very good Cowboys playoff teams (Romo's last and Prescott's first).

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
He got The Cowboys to the playoffs with Quincy Carter. Enough said. Happy birthday Coach. Wish you could have stayed a couple more years. I think we might have actually won a SB with Romo if he did.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yep, that 2007 squad is still my fave since those 90s glory years. Very nice roster on both sides of the ball with a little depth even on defense.

HBD Coach, appreciate ya.

its a real shame that Jerry instantly screwed that team up too.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
81, same age as yours truly. The years dwindle down to a precious few!

Ya gotta make the most of them. Am doing my best to out-live Jerry! ;)

Still a young'un
My Mom just celebrated 90, and is a 3 time Covid champion :)