Happy with the draft?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I like the draft. Hopefully next season we can draft defensive linemen like we attacked the offensive line this year. A defensive end and defensive tackle with 2/3 of your first 3 picks would be excellent.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I like the draft. Hopefully next season we can draft defensive linemen like we attacked the offensive line this year. A defensive end and defensive tackle with 2/3 of your first 3 picks would be excellent.
QB with 1st pick

rambo2

Reaction score
Not really. I like what they did in the 1st getting that extra third that turned out to become Cooper Beebe but the rest of the Draft was mindboggling to me, especially how they handled LB and RB.
The only thing I didn't like was when we get to pick 87 and they didn't take the running back. They should have either taken MarShawn Lloyd at 87 or traded back to get another pick. A trade back could have netted them a running back and a linebacker. Maybe they could have still gotten Marist Liufau and a running back like Jaylen Wright or Ray Davis. I'm not going to be happy watching Lloyd succeed in Green Bay or Davis run wild in Buffalo.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Maybe for you but the Cowboys feel much differently about him. Since the draft word has come out that teams put anywhere from a 3rd to a 5th round grade on him. The Cowboys didn't want to lost him and loved him enough to take him in the 3rd instead of drafting a RB or trading down.
Yeah, what’s the disconnect.

The team reached for him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course they do…they also felt differently about Mazi and Schoon who most
also considered massive reaches.
Neither was a massive reach. Mazi would have been a 2 at worst and Schoon would have been a 3 at worst.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Back to the original question. No I am not particularly happy with the current draft.

I don't like utilizing 1st round picks on OL. Right now there is already too much cap space tied up in the OL. Dallas either can't develop OL or can't hire the guy that can.
I don't like their inability to grade the abilities of current players, so they can't better their team by adding the talent the team needs. Not just individual talent.
I don't like waiting till the 7th round to draft a DL that might need to play alot.7th round is for future needs, not current needs.
I don't like a DE in 2, when you have DLaw and SWilliams starting, Fehoko and Gholston as the bigger backups, and MParsons who could supplant either anytime. Not a need or fit. Although Kneeland may be the best talent, I don't know.
I don't like reaching for the LB in the 3rd. Questionable Will when this teams needs a Mike. This pick may end up being their best pick in the draft, but from what I have been able to research --- not likely.

While I think they do a fairly good job of drafting talent, I think they do a horrid job of building a team.

So no, I am not happy with the draft. Much like most years, when I see them draft great players but not great fits, and then the coaching ends up "dysoning" when it comes to building around their strengths.

rambo2

Reaction score

I think that Archer is missing that they could have moved back from 87 and probably worked it where they got a couple of picks between 97 and 119 without giving up a 3. Maybe 87 and a next year 5 or 6.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Back to the original question. No I am not particularly happy with the current draft.

I don't like utilizing 1st round picks on OL. Right now there is already too much cap space tied up in the OL. Dallas either can't develop OL or can't hire the guy that can.
I don't like their inability to grade the abilities of current players, so they can't better their team by adding the talent the team needs. Not just individual talent.
I don't like waiting till the 7th round to draft a DL that might need to play alot.7th round is for future needs, not current needs.
I don't like a DE in 2, when you have DLaw and SWilliams starting, Fehoko and Gholston as the bigger backups, and MParsons who could supplant either anytime. Not a need or fit. Although Kneeland may be the best talent, I don't know.
I don't like reaching for the LB in the 3rd. Questionable Will when this teams needs a Mike. This pick may end up being their best pick in the draft, but from what I have been able to research --- not likely.

While I think they do a fairly good job of drafting talent, I think they do a horrid job of building a team.

So no, I am not happy with the draft. Much like most years, when I see them draft great players but not great fits, and then the coaching ends up "dysoning" when it comes to building around their strengths.
Yea, while I wish we’d lean more towards talent over needs in the draft roster building / management as a whole is the biggest problem with this team.

Unfortunately nothing is changing until the Jones’ are gone.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yea, while I wish we’d lean more towards talent over needs in the draft roster building / management as a whole is the biggest problem with this team.

Unfortunately nothing is changing until the Jones’ are gone.
That's the thing. The general approach should be to fill holes in free agency to allow yourself the opportunity to take BPA in the draft.

The problem is we did next to nothing in free agency this off-season which pigeon-holed us in the draft to draft for need, made us predictable, and we still didn't address some of our needs.

cnuball21

Reaction score
That's the thing. The general approach should be to fill holes in free agency to allow yourself the opportunity to take BPA in the draft.

The problem is we did next to nothing in free agency this off-season which pigeon-holed us in the draft to draft for need, made us predictable, and we still didn't address some of our needs.
100%…the bad FA approach spills into the draft creating a bad draft approach lol.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The only thing I didn't like was when we get to pick 87 and they didn't take the running back. They should have either taken MarShawn Lloyd at 87 or traded back to get another pick. A trade back could have netted them a running back and a linebacker. Maybe they could have still gotten Marist Liufau and a running back like Jaylen Wright or Ray Davis. I'm not going to be happy watching Lloyd succeed in Green Bay or Davis run wild in Buffalo.
That was the 1 thing that made no sense. Lloyd seemed like the right move. Ultimately the 1st 3 guys we selected is going to determine how good or bad this draft was.

rambo2

Reaction score
That was the 1 thing that made no sense. Lloyd seemed like the right move. Ultimately the 1st 3 guys we selected is going to determine how good or bad this draft was.
Evidently they felt the linebacker was worth more to them than a running back. It looks like they finally will draft a running back next year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They were both literally drafted a round early…that’s the definition of a reach.
Since when?

And you said massive reach. Drafting a player you want one round early to make sure you get him isn't a massive reach or even a reach.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Since when?

And you said massive reach. Drafting a player you want one round early to make sure you get him isn't a massive reach or even a reach.
Ever since the draft started…

And yea, drafting someone an entire round early is a massive reach.

I’m sure the Cowboys will tell you all their picks were steals and the best players on the board but I’ve stopped buying their BS years ago.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I'm happy with the draft, Lots of good players to replenish our squad. Don't care that they didn't take a RB( Would of liked RB Wright that went to MIA), Everyone says it was a bad class so why would we even waste picks on them. Glad they signed Zeke to be the bridge vet player. Mid season trade is where they find their RB or draft 1 next year, I believe them investing into the OLINE will make a night and day difference for the running game.
I agree you must fix the line first and I believe they have, Dallas will pick up another back at some point. I,m looking forward to the season, looks like Dallas is really committed to building the offensive line and running the ball.

exciter

Reaction score
Happy.

I wanted Payton Wilson, but when he fell out of the 2nd, I figured there was more publicly hidden medicals on him than what was released during the combine/prodays.
No ACL in one leg, the dude still can play, but you don't want another Sean Lee issue where you don't know if he'll miss 0 games, 4 games, 8 games or the entire season from a random injury.

While I thought he was the best of the bunch, I do get passing on a LB that had medical concerns when the team had disappointments in Smith & LVE due to different medical issues.
Mims only 8 starts and Wilson, injury waiting to happen are the to players I didn’t want most. After Lee, Jaylen , B Carter, VanderEsch I wouldn’t touch another LB with an extensive injury history!