Hard to forgive icing Austin

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
Garrett has iced his kicker and his own return man.

All of this misery because JJ is being stubborn to pull the plug on the "Process." This is an experiment that has gone on for far too long. There's not even a time frame of when the 'process' will be over.

When I think that JG is the second longest tenured HC in DC history that really grates me. Second?!? What do we have to show for it besides critical errors in basic football fundamentals? Oops, I forgot. We have to look at the tape again and evaluate it and see how we can get better all for the process. :rolleyes:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Garrett is like GWB. He got through an Ivy League school and became a coach on the Cowboys due to daddy. If he had to earn anything he'd be doing something more in line with his history degree, like teaching.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
of all the decisions made in the game full of weird moves ... having Austin fair catch at mid field to preserve TOs is one of the dumbest in game calls I can imagine

Even weirder because you get an automatic clock stoppage with the change of possession.

Ignore the potential for a big play.

Simply on clock preservation per yard, how are you supposed to do better on yards per second than our fastest player running straight downfield until he is tackled and the clock is stopped?

Garrett is the *worst*.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Maybe Garrett didn't make the call, maybe it was the special teams coach, but SOMEone did, because he called for the fair catch way too soon.

That kind of game management is for the HC. It's for him to weigh time between special teams and the offense. If that authority was given to the ST coaches themselves, that's an organizational fault of the HC.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So, how is it that punt returners still sometimes get hit immediately after fielding a punt or only get a short gain or even a loss? It's not as easy to see this clearly as you imagine it. Guys that take their eyes off the ball too long lose it and mishandle it. They only have time for glances, not a full study of things. And then add in the pressure of knowing every second is precious, and not wanting to take precious seconds off the clock, it's really pretty easy to understand how he could have been overly cautious.
They try to time all these things out. I would say on this particular punt he saw the return set up and has that side. Just looking at the still picture it looks a lot more open than what it was I am sure. But we had the numbers. It was just another missed opportunity. Our run Defense and staff didn’t adjust to that same play. Which we will see again the rest of the year from other teams. Lol.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
of all the decisions made in the game full of weird moves ... having Austin fair catch at mid field to preserve TOs is one of the dumbest in game calls I can imagine

that scenario is exactly why Tavon is of value ... Sunday night lights and open field

if you sign a speedster, a self describe "weapon" - then give him a shot to impact the game and season

the coaching call is bad enough but IMO, Tavon should have ignored his coach - sad but true
We have a head coach that simply don't know any better......much like when to go for it on 4th down and when not to. His "ceiling" hasn't gotten off the floor............he was in over his head when he was named head coach and he's still in over his head.

Beastsfromthenfceast

Reaction score
If Carrotclapper was named head coach of the best high school team in the country who haven't lost a game in 5 years , they would end up at .500 with his boneheaded leadership.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

that scenario is exactly why Tavon is of value ... Sunday night lights and open field

if you sign a speedster, a self describe "weapon" - then give him a shot to impact the game and season

the coaching call is bad enough but IMO, Tavon should have ignored his coach - sad but true

The Vikings played Punt Coverage in a way that gave Austin all that space.

It didn't happen because the Cowboy Punt Return team did something special.

Why did the Vikings play it that way?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you don’t want Tavon to return it in that situation there is truly no need to have him on the roster.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
People say Garrett is such a nice guy. He has been a backstabbing SOB from the beginning.

Yup, he'd sell out his brother if it meant saving his own skin. He's a bloody sell out, and a coward. What little respect I had for him vanished when he did what he did by throwing Dak, Moore, and Austin under the bus with such a horrendous and cowardly lie. If he was man enough to come out and admit that those situations were his mistakes, I'd actually have defended him, as much as I want him fired.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And the thing is, as much as I thought Garrett was a bad coach, I thought he was at least probably a decent chap. After him throwing Romo under the bus as much as he did, I felt he was probably a problematic person, but I was willing to give him slack in terms of being a good person. Now, after he did what he did by throwing Austin, Dak, and Moore under the bus, I have to say I actually genuinely don't even like him as a person. I do truly think that Garrett sabotaged Wade so he could ascend to become HC. And what have we to show for it? Nothing useful! A completely wasted set of talent! And we're on the verge of wasting another talented roster. Jerry and Stephen were correct when they called this a Super Bowl Roster. It IS!! The problem is the COACH Jason Garrett is a sabotaging lying SOB who should've been sacked YEARS ago!!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Keith O' Quinn is the ST Coach of the Cowboys, who has been identified as the one who told Austin to take a fair catch. He's the one who should be responsible for the gaff that was attributed to that foul-up. The special teams has been a blight upon the Cowboys team for some time now. If anyone should be held responsible, it would be him. Garrett is guilty of many things but perhaps this late revelation should be taken seriously and charged to O'Quinn. The ST unit has been on the way down since his arrival. Let justice be done and O'Quinn be held duly responsible. Fair is fair! :rolleyes:

Last edited: