Hardy, Brent, and drafting Gregory all but prove Jason Garrett is little more then a puppet

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Bad only in that it's an unsubstantiated rant. Not bad in terms of getting a discussion going, though. Everybody likes a dogpile.

For my part, I can't get my head around any Cowboy fan not being pleased with the changes in the team since Garrett took over, but then I've been saying that all along because it's been pretty obvious for some time.

Are you serious? The first 3 years of his being a head coach was complete underachieving misery. We got out coached EVERY week until Jerry finally made him stop handling the offense. Im very happy with many of the changes and Garrett certainly had some hand in that. But that is about it. I would take all of 20 head coaches over Garrett. You dont think its more then a coincidence that the first time in 8 years Garrett is no longer in control of the offense that all of a sudden we morph from a pass happy, one dimensional offense into a power running game. Which there is no doubt made all the difference in us being a 8-8 team to a 12-4 contender? Murrays first 3 years here in Dallas were wasted. And that 100% goes right back to Garrett.

Garrettop

Reaction score
Garrett's game day coaching left something to be desired at points, but A. It wasn't as underachieving as people like to think and B. When you lack confidence in certain elements of the team to achieve you lean where you think the strength is. The offensive line was finally rebuilt, and Murray stayed mostly healthy and voila, they kept running. You think that they drafted all of those Olinemen out of the blue not because Garrett wanted them to install his plan? The lack of foresight and ability to delay gratification in all facets of life is readily apparent in western culture, and it shows up in the sorts of criticism that Garrett took up until this past season - as if it was impossible to understand the concept of laying foundations and "stacking good days".

Last year was exactly what Garrett was building towards. Murray's "waste" was being on the bench with injuries. Can't run a guy who isn't healthy. Can't run behind a weak line. Garret might not be the consummate tactician during a game but as a strategist he is in the top 3 in the NFL imo, and that is the quality you most want in a head coach. This idea that the HC needs to call every play to be worth a damn is ridiculous and is the sort of myopic perspective that puts many Cowboys fans on par with Eagles fans in terms of their inability to adequately appreciate the seasons/players/elements of their team that they should, and to criticize accurately where they should.

khiladi

Reaction score
The greatest thing about these threads is watching the Garrett-homers tell us what Garrett actually meant by RKG after they started bringing in these these players, then when he first got the job... Cleaning up the culture, not letting the inmates run the asylum... No more 'thugs'...

I especially love how they all were telling us how things changed when Barber didn't 'start' for not dressing up the first time Garrett became HC...

DFWJC

Reaction score
No chance at all that Dallas takes any of these players without Garrett's okay.
None
Like him or not, he's FAR from a puppet..

khiladi

Reaction score
3 seasons ago, Garrett defenders were trying to tell us Dez Bryant didn't understand the playbook and was free-wheeling and two years ago, Romo was audibling out of Garrett's plays... They were not being the RKGs. Now suddenly, Cowboys go 12-6, Garrett is demoted as play-caller, Garrett was never opposed to not calling plays, and everything was all part of Garrett's plan including the zone scheme that the OL uses, and everybody but they, didn't understand what Garrett meant by RKGs...

khiladi

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I also forgot them taking credit for Garrett bringing in Kiffen, because he worked with him in Tampa Bay... Then Kiffen blows like chunks, and everybody says it was Jerry who forced his hand and never wanted him. And Kiffen brings Marinelli and Marinelli takes over, and that has now become part of Garrett's plan...

I especially love the story of Callahan and the OL being part of Garrett's plan, when prior to that, Garrett brought in Houck to run a scheme that Garrett played and coached in his whole life and they use big, power blocking lineman...

Garrettop

Reaction score
Whatever "thug" means. Is Dez a thug? I don't know who was responsible for bringing in Kiffin, but Kiffin got Marinelli in, which was worth it to put up with a year of Kiffin. Without Kiffin Marinelli might have followed Lovie to TB originally. Who knows? But it's quite evident that since Garrett has been the head coach there has been a significant shift each year away from the same ol same ol we had come to expect in the post-Jimmy Johnson era. Some of it is Stephen, some of it is McClay, but they are working towards The Vision via The Process, etc.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bad only in that it's an unsubstantiated rant. Not bad in terms of getting a discussion going, though. Everybody likes a dogpile.
Not necessarily.

A member posts conjecture. Other members counter it.

It can get old really fast.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not necessarily.

It can get old really fast.

Well, it's in the Rant Zone for a reason. This is not he place most go to get into a reasoned debate. :)