Has a 2-6 team ever made the playoffs?

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
After the first month of the season this year, the Texas Rangers baseball team was 7-14 and I said they would still make the playoffs. I got ripped on the message board I said it on, and I was right.

I'm not saying the Cowboys make the playoffs, but I will say its way too early to write them off. Our Division sucks and this is a totally different team with Romo back. You see what bringing Dez back did, Romo brings the team to an entirely different level.

They don't have a Red clapping manager.

khiladi

Reaction score
I am reading some of these threads and there are still posters out there claiming we can still go to the playoffs.

I am just curious, has this ever happened before? I don't remember a team ever losing 6 games in a row in the regular season and making the playoffs before.

Panthers I believe did something a few years back, but they only had to get to 8-8 in their division..

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The 1970 Cincinnati Bengals started 1-6 and still made the playoffs. they are the only team. They ended the season 8-6. They lost 6 games in a row and ended with 7 straight wins.

They also had Bill Walsh as their offense coordinator practically invent the Ohio River Offense to take advantage of a journeyman QB in Virgil Carter that season.

Would Garrett and Linehan do that? Please do not make me laugh, my lips are chapped.

strongarmqb

Reaction score
The 1970 Cincinnati Bengals started 1-6 and still made the playoffs. they are the only team. They ended the season 8-6. They lost 6 games in a row and ended with 7 straight wins.

The Giants and Eagles both have a few losses coming. That being said- we need to run the table. The problem isn't the offense,.. Once again this defense can't stop anyone

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The Giants and Eagles both have a few losses coming. That being said- we need to run the table. The problem isn't the offense,.. Once again this defense can't stop anyone

Well it changes from game to game. Some games the defense sucks. Other games the offense sucks and all games the ST suck. There are a lot of suckage going on at Valley ranch.

Sydla

Reaction score
The only way this team can make the playoffs is at 8-8.

They aren't winning more than that.

The problem is that in losing last night, you lost what would have been a key tiebreaker with the Eagles. Now we are 2-2 in the division as well. Further, in losing to the Eagles, you now put the Eagles in a spot where they can get to 7-4 with no real issues if they just play average. Their next games are at home against Dolphins (they are already a 6 point favorite), at home against Tampa and then at Detroit.

They are very likely to be 7-4. And then at that point, you have to hope they go 1-4 down the stretch just to give yourself a shot, which is unlikely.

I think people need to just come to grips with the reality the season is over.

Nation

Reaction score
After the first month of the season this year, the Texas Rangers baseball team was 7-14 and I said they would still make the playoffs. I got ripped on the message board I said it on, and I was right.

I'm not saying the Cowboys make the playoffs, but I will say its way too early to write them off. Our Division sucks and this is a totally different team with Romo back. You see what bringing Dez back did, Romo brings the team to an entirely different level.

On a percentage-of-season basis, a 7-14 start in MLB is the equivalent of 2 games in the NFL. The Cowboys have done the equivalent of starting 21-60.

mldardy

Reaction score
The only way this team can make the playoffs is at 8-8.

They aren't winning more than that.

The problem is that in losing last night, you lost what would have been a key tiebreaker with the Eagles. Now we are 2-2 in the division as well. Further, in losing to the Eagles, you now put the Eagles in a spot where they can get to 7-4 with no real issues if they just play average. Their next games are at home against Dolphins (they are already a 6 point favorite), at home against Tampa and then at Detroit.

They are very likely to be 7-4. And then at that point, you have to hope they go 1-4 down the stretch just to give yourself a shot, which is unlikely.

I think people need to just come to grips with the reality the season is over.

You are putting a lot of faith in the Eagles. The schedule is favorable but 'they can get to 7-4 with no real issues if they just play average'. Well they aren't that good to win by just playing average.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
The thing you need to pay attention to is other division teams need to stink it up to help your 2-6 team make it. Look at Philly schedule .. to me it's gonna be them or Commanders .. giants are not gonna make it

:cool:

The Natural

Reaction score
Man, I dont know what you guys are on. I told you a few weeks ago not to buy this crap the media was selling that 8 or 7 wins will win this division. Let's be real, do you any of honestly expect the Giants to go 2-5 over their last 7 games? Do any of you honestly expect the Eagles to go 3-5 over their last 8 games? What about us, anyone really think we are going 8-0 the rest of the year? Because that's what it is going to take. 10 wins will win this division, maybe 9..maybe.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Well it changes from game to game. Some games the defense sucks. Other games the offense sucks and all games the ST suck. There are a lot of suckage going on at Valley ranch.

Special teams had their share of mistakes last night, but they pinned the other team on the 5-10 a couple of times last night and the Dez TD can be attributed to Lucky Whitehead's great kick return. Don't think ST were a weakness last night. If anything it canceled out. Defense was our only real weakness, but avoiding a pick six negates that some and we would have probably held them to 20 points

Kaiser

Reaction score
You realize that other baseball teams have started 7-14 and made the playoffs, so its not like the Rangers did something that has never happened before in the history of baseball.

That is what we are looking at now, no team in the entire history of the NFL has ever started 2-6 and made the playoffs............none, nada, zip, never happened.

True, but our Division is also historically craptastic this year. The Rangers were 9.5 games back on May 3rd last year and won the Division, I'm not saying the Cowboys make the playoffs, I'm saying its too early to throw in the towel when we have Romo coming back and a much easier schedule coming up.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
True, but our Division is also historically craptastic this year. The Rangers were 9.5 games back on May 3rd last year and won the Division, I'm not saying the Cowboys make the playoffs, I'm saying its too early to throw in the towel when we have Romo coming back and a much easier schedule coming up.

I just don't see how its that easy. We have GB, Carolina, and the NY Jets coming up. We have 2 games with the Deadskins who always play us tough. Buffalo and Miami won't be easy. Philly and the Giants aren't good teams. NO was winless when we played them. I think we played our easiest part of the schedule.