Has a better core ever been wasted? (2006-2010)

chicago JK

Reaction score
I never considered the core elite during that time period. What is frustrating is during this time Dallas had a really good QB in his prime that they found by accident/ luck/good fortune/ smart scouting and a defensive player at a prime position who may have been in the top 5 of all defensive players. It could be 20 years until we find that again.

You would think with a really good QB in his prime and maybe the best defender in the game that this team could plug holes and win more than one playoff game instead we are stuck in 8-8 purgatory. Unfortunately it looks like all we will have to show is one playoff victory despite having found two of the most important positions in the game and see both of these players during their prime.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Those years brought a lot of entertainment value which I thought was the #1 goal of the Dallas Cowboys. :(

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
You have to wonder how much talent was actually there when we couldn't win tight games or make it into the playoffs more than twice.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The year we got rolled by the Gnats was about as good as that core was ever gonna get. WR's/TE left 2-3 TD's on the turf..

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Didn't Philly make it to like 4 or 5 straight NFC Championship games with McNabb? Nothing to show for that either.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The core failed. The core was not good enough. Nobody 'wasted' anything. The GM assembled a team with enough talent to win it all. The core did not produce and the fault lies with them. Look no further for blame.

Two members of the core (Witten led Romo) decided it was wise to go to Cabo for several days and play in the sand instead of studying and preparing as best as they could for a playoff game. Major idiotic brain fart.

Nation

Reaction score
The lesson to be learned here is that it is not about how good your core is, it is about the talent of your 53 man roster. Yes it helps to have a great top ten players on your roster. But if the replacement-level players after injuries are disastrous the core doesn't really matter.

visionary

Reaction score
this core was above average, not elite
there was little depth, so injuries were devastating
they could have attained real success with a real coaching staff and not one that was (and still is) learning on the job

unfortunately i feel that jerry, jason, and romo are all content to be 'good enough' and relevant

poor GMing
poor coaching

that is the true failing of this franchise since the 90s

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
We have thrown away the careers of the best players the brain rust has managed to stumble upon since the dynasty. For a while it seemed like Jerry was trying everything in his power to NOT find a QB that could play, and when he finally does he goes on to the same process with the coaching staff. It is a massive what if, but I would be infinitely curious to know how Tony would have developed had he continued to have been coached by winners and not Wilson and Ginger.
I think the O would have been fine if Sparano stayed on after the 2007 post season gaffe. No doubt quality offensive coaches would've likely produced the same results. Romo has really been the OC/QB coach for quite some time and hasn't had authoritative positions to reign him in (when need be).
2007: The O was hot and even had rhythym:eek:. We took shots deep and even employed crossing patterns to get our big receivers in space (now I'm just getting Madden crazy;)) The D was aggressive and had a great pass rush and SECONDARY concerns were the main issue. Just thought I would cap that bc we seem to be forgetting that span currently. Having a great pass rush and a poor secondary minimized the effect (lacking TOs). Right now the board mantra seems to be Line Line Line while beleiving the S position will just work itself out. It didn't in that span is all I'm getting at.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I never considered the core elite during that time period. What is frustrating is during this time Dallas had a really good QB in his prime that they found by accident/ luck/good fortune/ smart scouting and a defensive player at a prime position who may have been in the top 5 of all defensive players. It could be 20 years until we find that again.

You would think with a really good QB in his prime and maybe the best defender in the game that this team could plug holes and win more than one playoff game instead we are stuck in 8-8 purgatory. Unfortunately it looks like all we will have to show is one playoff victory despite having found two of the most important positions in the game and see both of these players during their prime.

although a good core. they lacked coaching during that period and they lacked star power outside of ware and witten . I wouldn't consider anyone outside of ware, witten elite and they were both still young.

btw, probowl has always been over rated. even in 2007.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Didn't Philly make it to like 4 or 5 straight NFC Championship games with McNabb? Nothing to show for that either.

If Dallas were in that same situation over the past 17 years, I believe people would feel a lot better. We went to three straight NFC Championship games in the Danny White era and we have nothing to show for that either I guess.

Alexander

Reaction score
btw, probowl has always been over rated. even in 2007.

The 13 Pro Bowler season was one of the worst things that could have happened. It was coming from the coach straight up to the owner that we were supremely talented and we just need luck and things like better special teams play to break through. I still recall the running commentary every season--"the roster is set". Self evaluation was a huge problem then. Hopefully we have broke out of that mentality that we are set anywhere right now.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the cowboys have wasted or threw away many good opportunities these last few seasons now they qb is old and when u don't have a qb in the nfl you don't win, so yes they have wasted lots of players. It may be years before they find another qb who can get out of his own way so it may be years before they are any good again.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

The undervalueing of the OL and S position was our downfall. Romo was running for his life bc the GM thought he didn't have to pay for an OL after paying ALL that money for the toys (QB/WR/RB/TE). The lack of quality players @ S had undercut all the rush Ware (Rat in his prime) were contributing on the front end. Many teams just chucked it deep with good success. Very Frustrating!

Alexander

Reaction score
The undervalueing of the OL and S position was our downfall. Romo was running for his life bc the GM thought he didn't have to pay for an OL after paying ALL that money for the toys (QB/WR/RB/TE). The lack of quality players @ S had undercut all the rush Ware (Rat in his prime) were contributing on the front end. Many teams just chucked it deep with good success. Very Frustrating!
Truth be told, we made the same mistake with the OL back then that we did with the DL the last few years. We paid age. Our inability to secure starters on the OL from the draft was the problem. The longer than continued, the more we were apt to stay with the contracts with Adams, Gurode, Kosier, Colombo and Davis signed.

jnday

Reaction score
The core failed. The core was not good enough. Nobody 'wasted' anything. The GM assembled a team with enough talent to win it all. The core did not produce and the fault lies with them. Look no further for blame.

Two members of the core (Witten led Romo) decided it was wise to go to Cabo for several days and play in the sand instead of studying and preparing as best as they could for a playoff game. Major idiotic brain fart.

I can't see Aikman, Irvin or Smith going to Cabo in that situation. Those three take winning seriously. I can't imagine Roger or Drew making that trip either. This says a great deal about the attitude of the players and the country club that has developed over the years. Jessica must have been one heck of a woman.

Alexander

Reaction score
I can't see Aikman, Irvin or Smith going to Cabo in that situation. Those three take winning seriously. I can't imagine Roger or Drew making that trip either. This says a great deal about the attitude of the players and the country club that has developed over the years. Jessica must have been one heck of a woman.
People forget that Witten and Carpenter went to Cabo as well.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Truth be told, we made the same mistake with the OL back then that we did with the DL the last few years. We paid age. Our inability to secure starters on the OL from the draft was the problem. The longer than continued, the more we were apt to stay with the contracts with Adams, Gurode, Kosier, Colombo and Davis signed.
I hear ya, I was talking more post Gurode/Flo but you are correct in that we didn't develop the position adequately before cap/production forced our hand = 2 first rounders the last 4 years. Right now, Crawford(3rd) and Bass (UDFA) consist of our homegrown talent "developing" that position. Atleast the team didn't blow its wad on Allen. Melton was a good sign (contract/talent) but is nowhere considered a lock to man the 3 tech the next 4-5 years (character). The team needs a great draft and shouldn't force themselves to pick a DL if the value is not there ;) but need to hit on som mid to late rounders as well. Hell, Pryor would be a good choice if Barr/Donald are gone and the team doesn't like Martin.

jnday

Reaction score
People forget that Witten and Carpenter went to Cabo as well.

I blame those two as well. My post wasn't just a shot at Romo. I think it shows a team attitude that shouldn't exist on a contender. It was a reflection of Wade and Jerry IMO.

DBOY3141

Reaction score

Don't know that I would bring up Irvin. Great player and all, but once game/practice was over he was drugging and women chasing. He's even admitted that he partied all night, every night. He didn't have to go to Cabo...he had the "White House".