Has a better core ever been wasted? (2006-2010)

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Said it for years...that core, given their talent, will always be the poster children for the dark ages in Cowboys history.

Campos teams were terrible, but had very little in terms of young, star talent, yet the "lost" core had a franchise QB, all-pro (and possible HOF) pass rusher, HOF TE, and Pro Bowl DTs & WRs and did squat.

Will be very odd to see the likes of Romo, Ware and Witten aside the names of Aikman, Staubach, Irvin, Smith, White, etc.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Said it for years...that core, given their talent, will always be the poster children for the dark ages in Cowboys history.

Campos teams were terrible, but had very little in terms of young, star talent, yet the "lost" core had a franchise QB, all-pro (and possible HOF) pass rusher, HOF TE, and Pro Bowl DTs & WRs and did squat.

Will be very odd to see the likes of Romo, Ware and Witten aside the names of Aikman, Staubach, Irvin, Smith, White, etc.

the Bills still probably have the record for most HOF players on one team that never won it all. Witten and Ware of course will go in one day but that is all

burmafrd

Reaction score
Not talking about Any of that.

There was a steal in there somewhere.... A wasted opportunity.

not really. You have to have the health, coaching and talent all together at the same time. We never had that.

to be blunt only maybe in late 2009 did we have two of the three and the injury to the Hotel in the vikes game pretty much finished us off as Colombo was on one leg and the rest of the line was not able to compensate.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
the Bills still probably have the record for most HOF players on one team that never won it all. Witten and Ware of course will go in one day but that is all

Yeah, I meant to say it'll be weird to see them next to greats in the ROH.

Sadly, when I think of that core, I will never think "great," as much as I think "disappointing."

Vanilla2

Reaction score
The OP said from 06-2010. We made the playoffs 3 of those 5 season so you're not really addressing the question by taking about the past six years.

The finisher did not finish reading before starting his post and finished with a fail.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yeah, I meant to say it'll be weird to see them next to greats in the ROH.

Sadly, when I think of that core, I will never think "great," as much as I think "disappointing."

lots of blame belong to Jerruh and company. More then on them

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think everyone knows that of the 13 pro bowlers in 2007, maybe 5-7 clearly deserved it. The voting mostly happens earlier in the year and that team was really rolling then. 13-3 teams usually do land a ton of pro bowlers though and that was a real good team that peaked early.

Missed opportunity to at least make deep run though . The SB winners got in their way.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Actually i have seen it reported multiple times that T.O is actually the one who bought Romo and Jessica the ticket to Cabo, as a sort of gesture of good will between him and the QB. Can you imagine the turmoil it would have caused if he told TO no he didnt want his trip?

He could have said that he would go after the season

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
A better passing game has never been wasted, at least not in the history of this franchise. Romo, Witten, and a succession of three Pro Bowl caliber #1 WR (all at different times) have played on a team that has been below average overall from 2006-13.

Romo is 63-45 since taking over as starting QB. That is not below average. The team from 06-13 is 72-56 overall.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Romo is 63-45 since taking over as starting QB. That is not below average. The team from 06-13 is 72-56 overall.
Right, but the team's W-L record includes the contributions of the pass offense. When you break down the team into its component parts, you see a pass offense that's averaged a league rank of 8th (and 7th in Romo's games), while the rest of the team has averaged a rank of 18th.

Offensive Pass Rating 8th (7.88)
Rushing TD 19th (19.25)
Defensive Pass Rating: 20th (20.25)
Rushing TD Allowed 14th (13.75)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Right, but the team's W-L record includes the contributions of the pass offense. When you break down the team into its component parts, you see a pass offense that's averaged a league rank of 8th (and 7th in Romo's games), while the rest of the team has averaged a rank of 18th.

Offensive Pass Rating 8th (7.88)
Rushing TD 19th (19.25)
Defensive Pass Rating: 20th (20.25)
Rushing TD Allowed 14th (13.75)

How would you look at that data (and what's available overall as well) and say we passed well but didn't run well vs we didn't run enough vs we ended up on the plus side of the ledger passing because we had to pass since we couldn't run?

I think our YPC shows we don't run the ball that well much of the time while our AYPA, YPC, etc show we are an above avg passing team. You can add in our short yardage success running particularly around the GL as further exhibits we don't run that well.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
How would you look at that data (and what's available overall as well) and say we passed well but didn't run well vs we didn't run enough vs we ended up on the plus side of the ledger passing because we had to pass since we couldn't run?
I think you answered your own question. Passing more doesn't make you pass better.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I thought you might have more advanced stats and story line. But thanks.
I didn't mean to be short or anything, you just gave all the details that I would have given. Although I know it's fashionable to pick one of these statements or the other, we could have run better and should have run more in 2013.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
not really. You have to have the health, coaching and talent all together at the same time. We never had that.

to be blunt only maybe in late 2009 did we have two of the three and the injury to the Hotel in the vikes game pretty much finished us off as Colombo was on one leg and the rest of the line was not able to compensate.

You cannot say with certainty that there wasn't "opportunity" ... I can. I do.

Gameover

Reaction score
Core wasn't that great.

Don't be fooled because we got lucky with some early Romo magic.

Romo's magic hid the flaws Parcells left behind.

Tampa Bay(99-01) way ahead of are flawed 07-10 roster.

Rams(00-02)

9ers(91-93)

Bears(84, 86-88)

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
We had a very strong core that's for sure but in the NFL coaching is so valuable and we didn't have that. Our game planning and in- season adjustments were not good....

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

That does lead up to another question though. How will they be viewed going forward? I hate to say it, they will not be valued except by young fans who do not know any better. Ware's time as a Cowboy is done. Romo/Witten will be done in a season or two and I do not see the team suddenly winning enough to elevate them to the pantheon.

The perpetual mediocrity around all of these players is pretty unfortunate.