Has anyone confirmed what we received in exchange for Shanle?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I agree last year our D went way south when Singleton went out but that isn't really the issue here since Shanle didn't replace Al last year Fujita did. The only real comparison would have to be those games in the 4-3. Especially when it comes to their value to NO where they are running a 4-3.

Singleton is starting to get old and has had some injuries each of the last two years. Shanle is younger, has less wear and tear on him and has more upside. Maybe Singleton's experience adds value but I wouldn't offer more for him if I were a GM. But it is all in the eye of the beholder.

I'm tired, so I'll just give you a :bow:

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I agree last year our D went way south when Singleton went out but that isn't really the issue here since Shanle didn't replace Al last year Fujita did. The only real comparison would have to be those games in the 4-3. Especially when it comes to their value to NO where they are running a 4-3.

Singleton is starting to get old and has had some injuries each of the last two years. Shanle is younger, has less wear and tear on him and has more upside. Maybe Singleton's experience adds value but I wouldn't offer more for him if I were a GM. But it is all in the eye of the beholder.

Nah. If Singleton mattered that much, Bill wouldn't be looking to replace him with a defensive end over 30 who has never played linebacker and doesn't have insane DeMarcus Ware, KGB, etc. speed.

I think it contributed, but I also believe some of it was teams figuring us out as the season went on, relying on too many rookies in the front seven who occasionally hit ceilings and were lost, relying on small guys in the front seven, free safety problems, injuries to Anthony Henry, and some other issues. Bill has done his best to fix all of 'em. Should be a darn good defense this year. Can't wait to watch the shutouts.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Nah. If Singleton mattered that much, Bill wouldn't be looking to replace him with a defensive end over 30 who has never played linebacker and doesn't have insane DeMarcus Ware, KGB, etc. speed.

I think it has more to do w/ Ellis being our 2nd best pass-rusher, and the OLB's primary job is to get after the QB

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I think it has more to do w/ Ellis being our 2nd best pass-rusher, and the OLB's primary job is to get after the QB

Best pass rusher at defensive end. Linebacker is gonna be a whole different story. Like I said, Ellis ain't one of those Charles Haley or DeMarcus Ware types. I have high hopes. I think he can do it as long as they bring Singleton in during certain situations.

And here's what I wonder about Bobby Carpenter. Why did they draft him in the first place if they had no confidence in him being an outside pass rusher? Trade up for Kimerion Wimbley or grab Manny Lawson instead, with Wimbley being the safer pick. He's the only one of the 3 linebackers (Carpenter, Lawson, Wimbley) who has a sack thus far in the preseason.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I think BP said that ELlis was one of our best pass-rushers after he made the switch to OLB too

and who said they aren't comfortable with Carp as a pass-rusher? I thought the move to ILB was because Ellis was more proven as a pass-rusher, and Carp is a smart kid and knows the OLB position?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Best pass rusher at defensive end. Linebacker is gonna be a whole different story. Like I said, Ellis ain't one of those Charles Haley or DeMarcus Ware types. I have high hopes. I think he can do it as long as they bring Singleton in during certain situations.

And here's what I wonder about Bobby Carpenter. Why did they draft him in the first place if they had no confidence in him being an outside pass rusher? Trade up for Kimerion Wimbley or grab Manny Lawson instead, with Wimbley being the safer pick. He's the only one of the 3 linebackers (Carpenter, Lawson, Wimbley) who has a sack thus far in the preseason.

This makes no sense. It is easier to rush the passer from a OLB spot on the outside of the tackles shoulder versus playing 4-3DE where he lined up on the tackles shoulder or 3-4 where he lined up on the tackle.

As for Carpenters pass rush ability well just have to seee but Ellis looks good out there and I see it easier for Carpenter to bea t out Ayodlel and get your 4 best LBers out there over Ellis.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I think BP said that ELlis was one of our best pass-rushers after he made the switch to OLB too

and who said they aren't comfortable with Carp as a pass-rusher? I thought the move to ILB was because Ellis was more proven, and Carp is a smart kid and knows the OLB position?

Ellis may be a vet, but I'd think you'd wanna backup the guy who has never played linebacker, not even in college, right? (Not totally sure on that one, but don't remember him playing it.) My personal opinion is if they thought Carpenter was a great pass rusher, they would have kept him outside. That's what Parcells wants. Don't know where all this garbage talk came from about how he only wants a run stuffer on the outside. That was the whole reason why folks wanted Bobby Carpenter, which never made sense to me. You can never have too many pass rushers. :)

I think playing inside is what Bill believes will best use Carpenter's skills.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Ellis may be a vet, but I'd think you'd wanna backup the guy who has never played linebacker, not even in college, right? (Not totally sure on that one, but don't remember him playing it.) My personal opinion is if they thought Carpenter was a great pass rusher, they would have kept him outside. That's what Parcells wants. Don't know where all this garbage talk came from about how he only wants a run stuffer on the outside. That was the whole reason why folks wanted Bobby Carpenter, which never made sense to me. You can never have too many pass rushers. :)

I think playing inside is what Bill believes will best use Carpenter's skills.

I'm just saying that Ellis is a more proven pass-rusher, and he needs the work more than Carp

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
This makes no sense. It is easier to rush the passer from a OLB spot on the outside of the tackles shoulder versus playing 4-3DE where he lined up on the tackles shoulder or 3-4 where he lined up on the tackle.

As for Carpenters pass rush ability well just have to seee but Ellis looks good out there and I see it easier for Carpenter to bea t out Ayodlel and get your 4 best LBers out there over Ellis.

That's great and all that he can still rush the passer, but that's not what I'm talking about. Of course he can still rush the passer! I'm referring to when he's forced to cover tight ends like Shockey, or H-backs like Cooley, or god forbid, get stuck on a wideout. I agree with beating out Ayodele. That's another reason why I think Bill moved him inside.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Has anyone confirmed what we received in exchange for Shanle?

krispy_kreme-747709.jpg

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
4th rd is a steal.....and takes some of the hurt away about losing the 3rd on Henson.