Has Dallas been trying at all to host more Super Bowls since 2011?

JBond

Reaction score
Looking forward to this year's SB after moving to Tampa a couple months ago.

Cmac

Reaction score
Shouldn't the first step be...….getting in one again.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The stadium is nice but it's more about the overall area and how spread out everything is in DFW. New Orleans and Miami are tourist hotspots. Everything is centralized, making it easy for everyone to stay at hotels within the same area and get around. Houston's stadium is also downtown and centralized, which is why they are more favorable to host Super Bowls, Final Fours, etc.

Maybe AT&T Stadium gets one more chance to host in the next 15 years but it will be difficult...now that LA and Vegas have new stadiums, those are better tourist cities. The rotation will probably end up being:

Miami
New Orleans
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Minneapolis
Glendale
Houston
Atlanta
You're correct on the general concept. Only thing is Houston's stadium isn't downtown. They also had to make updates to get the SB which didn't go over well with the citizens. Anyway, Houston has put in work to make downtown an entertainment hub. Where the teams held practice were also in the city center. So whereas before you had to drive everywhere to party. There were pop-ups, clubs, and parties all within a 5mi radius.

I would also add that all the new stadiums being built has been a hindrance too. Build a stadium get a SB has been pretty much been the theme. Every new city that built one got a SB within a few years of opening.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The stadium is nice but it's more about the overall area and how spread out everything is in DFW. New Orleans and Miami are tourist hotspots. Everything is centralized, making it easy for everyone to stay at hotels within the same area and get around. Houston's stadium is also downtown and centralized, which is why they are more favorable to host Super Bowls, Final Fours, etc.

Maybe AT&T Stadium gets one more chance to host in the next 15 years but it will be difficult...now that LA and Vegas have new stadiums, those are better tourist cities. The rotation will probably end up being:

Miami
New Orleans
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Minneapolis
Glendale
Houston
Atlanta

Agree, having gone to Miami and NO for my brother's SB victories with the niners, both spots were great for people to get out and do things without having to travel a long time. Everything was great.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
I'm actually more interested in getting our team To the Super Bowl and less interested in Hosting another one. Better yet, Host a Super Bowl and make the damn thing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes, I know, there was the debacle with the freak weather and the six hundred unsafe seats at Super Bowl XLV in February 2011 (at AT&T Stadium.) But I don't understand why the stadium isn't regularly considered part of the Super Bowl rotation the way Miami and New Orleans (both with way crappier stadiums) are. Even Houston's comparatively modest Reliant/NRG Stadium has hosted multiple Super Bowls.

Even more puzzling, why is it that Jerry and the local Dallas-Fort Worth government don't seem to have even expressed any interest in bidding for future Super Bowls? Jerry hadn't stopped hosting boxing matches, rodeos, bowling, soccer tournaments, etc. so why this silence about the biggest game itself.

AT&T Stadium remains one of the biggest and best venues in the whole nation for hosting a Super Bowl. Am I missing something?
Jerry is a master at hosting big college games and bowls

Many of the other big venues started copying his business model in that regard.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New stadiums are always prioritized. Then warmer climates like Miami , LA and New Orleans which naturally attract and generate more revenue outside the game itself are attractive.

The debacle with Jerryworld certainly doesn’t help the argument as there were lawsuits just settled about 3 years ago. It total it was tens of millions cost to NFL in settlements, attorney fees and court cost not to mention the awful and embarrassing media coverage.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darren...seating-scandal-finally-settles/#51fb26cb30a8
Pathetic corporate connivance - what an embarrassment from the league office and Jerry. Sheesh.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
The main reason will always be location. Arlington and DFW really don't offer anything for visitors. It doesn't have the hotel, or restaurant infrastructure to handle 100,000+ fans, let alone NFL personal, and players. Miami, New Orleans, LA are major tourist Hotspots and can bring in and hold more people as they generally have to deal with major influxes of people during major events (spring break, Mardi gras, Hollywood events)

Zordon

Reaction score
What does she have to do with this?
The stadium is in Tarrant County.
It's there bc she played hardball during the negotiations to the point that Jerry got fed up and took the offer from Arlington.

The Dallas Cowboys stadium should be near Downtown Dallas. That was the idle location that would have made it a more attractive venue.

plasticman

Reaction score
Well, yes, the AT&T Stadium is set to host the 2072 Super Bowl.

See ya there!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great question. I thought all along that the Jones clan would try to host as many super bowls as possible. Staubach did a great job the first time.

Take that a step further, they should host the scouting combine instead of Indy. Indy in Feb? You kidding me??? Give me AT&T.

At least the league is rotating the draft around now. Otherwise I'd say the Cowboys should host that each year also.
Indy gets it because of their location.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL will continue to reward owners with new stadiums with the SB. The other ones that get favored treatment are the "fun" cities like New Orleans and Miami in February.

They will probably reward him with one after they're done with new venues.

I would like to see cities like CHI, DEN or NE get one and have the elements, that used to be such a big part of the game, as part of the equation. Two of the most memorable playoff games ever were the Ice Bowl and SDC at CIN in -22 temps. But, it's not about the game as much as the fans being comfortable, entertained and fleeced.

Swanny

Reaction score
Yes, I know, there was the debacle with the freak weather and the six hundred unsafe seats at Super Bowl XLV in February 2011 (at AT&T Stadium.) But I don't understand why the stadium isn't regularly considered part of the Super Bowl rotation the way Miami and New Orleans (both with way crappier stadiums) are. Even Houston's comparatively modest Reliant/NRG Stadium has hosted multiple Super Bowls.

Even more puzzling, why is it that Jerry and the local Dallas-Fort Worth government don't seem to have even expressed any interest in bidding for future Super Bowls? Jerry hadn't stopped hosting boxing matches, rodeos, bowling, soccer tournaments, etc. so why this silence about the biggest game itself.

AT&T Stadium remains one of the biggest and best venues in the whole nation for hosting a Super Bowl. Am I missing something?
I live in WI and the Packers were in the Super Bowl. All the media radio guys thought it was absolutely terrible at the stadium. The seats, weather and the hotel layout to where the stadium is was a big complaint. They thought it was an absolute mess.

the_h0wey

Reaction score

I don't think the NFL is interested with how terribly things ended up in 2011

NeathBlue

Reaction score
I’m sure the league have said that teams wanting to host it, have had to give up a home game and be the home team in a game played overseas... and Dallas is one of the teams refusing to do this.
As for Miami and New Orleans hosting so many... it’s all to do with location and surroundings.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I don't think the NFL is interested with how terribly things ended up in 2011

But the league has forgiven even bigger debacles. The New Orleans stadium had that 30-minute blackout in the 2012 Super Bowl and the league continued awarding Super Bowls to New Orleans anyway.