Has Dallas been trying at all to host more Super Bowls since 2011?

the_h0wey

Reaction score
But the league has forgiven even bigger debacles. The New Orleans stadium had that 30-minute blackout in the 2012 Super Bowl and the league continued awarding Super Bowls to New Orleans anyway.
I think you might not remember how terrible 2011 was. It wasn't just the weather. It was a comedy of errors many which could have been prevented

HanD

Reaction score
I remember reading something about not wanting to give up a home game to play overseas.

Yes Dallas has played games outside the USA but I don't think they were the home team..

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/pr...-include-giving-up-home-games-for-london/amp/

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I’m sure the league have said that teams wanting to host it, have had to give up a home game and be the home team in a game played overseas... and Dallas is one of the teams refusing to do this.
As for Miami and New Orleans hosting so many... it’s all to do with location and surroundings.
I remember reading something about not wanting to give up a home game to play overseas.

Yes Dallas has played games outside the USA but I don't think they were the home team..

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/pr...-include-giving-up-home-games-for-london/amp/

Sorry, but I prefer the CONSPIRACY! version of this thread's premise, thank you very much!

Texas2Step41

Reaction score
What does she have to do with this?
The stadium is in Tarrant County.
source.gif

aria

Reaction score
Yes, I know, there was the debacle with the freak weather and the six hundred unsafe seats at Super Bowl XLV in February 2011 (at AT&T Stadium.) But I don't understand why the stadium isn't regularly considered part of the Super Bowl rotation the way Miami and New Orleans (both with way crappier stadiums) are. Even Houston's comparatively modest Reliant/NRG Stadium has hosted multiple Super Bowls.

Even more puzzling, why is it that Jerry and the local Dallas-Fort Worth government don't seem to have even expressed any interest in bidding for future Super Bowls? Jerry hadn't stopped hosting boxing matches, rodeos, bowling, soccer tournaments, etc. so why this silence about the biggest game itself.

AT&T Stadium remains one of the biggest and best venues in the whole nation for hosting a Super Bowl. Am I missing something?
DFW sucks?

blueblood70

Reaction score
IM sure Jerry got DC on a list for long time but the SBs are in long rotation and im sure first chance Jerry sees to get ahead in the line, he will take it..

BTEW I live in Arlington and I believe the difference between our city where ATT is located and others is its not surrounded closely to major Hotels and what not..its a lot better since 2011 for sure but the league remembers having to fly into one airport of the other then either staying in FW, ARL Or Dallas. the experience is sort of spread out..

its not as centrally located to making it flow where you stay near stadium and walk everywhere or close commutes..we have a lot of entertainment, shopping, and food in 3 levels of Arlington but not as convenient to center around the stadium for every visitor..

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
DFW sucks?

Nah, not so much. The larger problem is the lack of public transportation and how spread out everything is. You can't hop on a bus in Dallas and go to Fort Worth, but each city has its own busing system. You can, however, get on the TRE go that route, but there isn't a stop anywhere close to AT&T or the Rangers ball park. The closest you can get is at Trinity and 360, which isn't such a bad drive to AT&T when there isn't any traffic. Add in traffic and it turns into a nightmare.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
If ATT was in downtown Dallas or Ft Worth I think it would host the SB more often. Where it is in Arlington, there’s not much around there and as others have said, public transportation doesn’t bring you close enough to the stadium.

It’s not really a tourist area around ATT unless you like to hit up Walmart and Panda Express across the street lol.

SSoup

Reaction score
The stadium is nice but it's more about the overall area and how spread out everything is in DFW. New Orleans and Miami are tourist hotspots. Everything is centralized, making it easy for everyone to stay at hotels within the same area and get around. Houston's stadium is also downtown and centralized, which is why they are more favorable to host Super Bowls, Final Fours, etc.

Maybe AT&T Stadium gets one more chance to host in the next 15 years but it will be difficult...now that LA and Vegas have new stadiums, those are better tourist cities. The rotation will probably end up being:

Miami
New Orleans
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Minneapolis
Glendale
Houston
Atlanta
Yup.

Dallas is definitely one of the less desirable destinations in the NFL.

It's not as miserable as some of the midwestern or northern cities in the dead of winter, but it lags way behind warmer and nicer cities with stadiums better located relative to amenities and hotspots.

DFW is a real sprawling armpit, to be honest.

aria

Reaction score
Nah, not so much. The larger problem is the lack of public transportation and how spread out everything is. You can't hop on a bus in Dallas and go to Fort Worth, but each city has its own busing system. You can, however, get on the TRE go that route, but there isn't a stop anywhere close to AT&T or the Rangers ball park. The closest you can get is at Trinity and 360, which isn't such a bad drive to AT&T when there isn't any traffic. Add in traffic and it turns into a nightmare.
I know what ya mean and I was only being a little sarcastic. I’ve lived here pretty much my whole life and personally I hate it. Although I know not everyone feels that way, I do think there are a lot of other cities that are more known for being travel destinations (ie New Orleans, Miami, SF, NY, LA, LV, etc).

Last edited:

MikeB80

Reaction score
There are a number of reasons why.

The biggest thing to me is that as we found out the league actually paid for the stadium so they wanted to spotlight it with a super bowl. Then the SB was a disaster.

It's a lousy place for a super bowl. The weather is sketchy at best in february, North Arlington is not equipped to have the game.

I don't think the league cares about the stadium anymore and its novelty has worn off. People are not looking to spend a week in DFW and there is nothing exciting about being here.

IMO all super bowls should be played in LA or Tampa.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Because Arlington is a terrible city to host a Super Bowl. Absolutely nothing there besides the entertainment right off 30. Now if this stadium was in the city of limits of Dallas near downtown like it should be, you would see more consideration. And those 600 seat debacle goes into it. That is all on Jerry Jones. He can't control the weather but he can control that. He desperately wanted the biggest attendance and royally screwed a lot of people.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Because Arlington is a terrible city to host a Super Bowl. Absolutely nothing there besides the entertainment right off 30. Now if this stadium was in the city of limits of Dallas near downtown like it should be, you would see more consideration. And those 600 seat debacle goes into it. That is all on Jerry Jones. He can't control the weather but he can control that. He desperately wanted the biggest attendance and royally screwed a lot of people.

Well, they were Packers and Steelers fans after all. Is that really a big deal? :laugh:

Red Dragon

Reaction score
The Heck with hosting Super Bowls that's win some Super Bowls
Again, these are not contradictory at all.

You can bid to host an SB and also try to get your team into an SB. Neither inhibits the other.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The last time Jerry Jones hosted the SB, didn't AT&T stadium almost kill people with large chunks of ice sliding off the roof. Maybe after that bad experience, the Joneses don't want to do it anymore.

plasticman

Reaction score
Perhaps Jerry is too busy adding meaningless preseason games by volunteering for the Hall of Fame game for the 4th time in the last 9 HOF games.

Strategically, this means additional opportunities to enhance the injury list prior to the beginning of the regular season.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Well, they were Packers and Steelers fans after all. Is that really a big deal? :laugh:

Hahaha touche but that still was a not a good look at all. No matter who the fans were. If you are sitting up in that area, you probably don't have money to just throw around. They saved up and got tickets. And with those tickets come plane tickets, hotels, etc. Not sure how they settled up with those people. I know they obviously got refunded and free tickets for next year but not sure about all the other money they spent on the trip. And free tickets to next year's Super Bowl does not mean that much as they probably went there to watch their teams play. I know I'd be furious if this happened to me wanting to go see Dallas play.