Has McCarthy done more or less with team and talent?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a talented and experienced group of players across their roster. Nine Dallas players named first- or second-team All-Pro by the Associated Press. Quarterback Dak Prescott led the league in touchdown passes, linebacker Micah Parsons had a career-high 14 sacks, and cornerback DaRon Bland led the league with nine interceptions, five of which he returned for touchdowns — an NFL record.

The Cowboys became the first team to win 12 games in three consecutive seasons and fail to make a single conference championship game appearance. Cowboys had top 5 overall team rankings on offense and defense.

They were playing the game in Dallas, and they were the only team that didn't lose a single home game during the 2023 NFL season. And the first 2seed to lose to a 7th seed.

McCarthy appears to have helped shape a better team but the results in playoffs aren’t any better. So, is McCarthy doing more with less or less with more?

Thorn

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a talented and experienced group of players across their roster. Nine Dallas players named first- or second-team All-Pro by the Associated Press. Quarterback Dak Prescott led the league in touchdown passes, linebacker Micah Parsons had a career-high 14 sacks, and cornerback DaRon Bland led the league with nine interceptions, five of which he returned for touchdowns — an NFL record.

The Cowboys became the first team to win 12 games in three consecutive seasons and fail to make a single conference championship game appearance. Cowboys had top 5 overall team rankings on offense and defense.

They were playing the game in Dallas, and they were the only team that didn't lose a single home game during the 2023 NFL season. And the first 2seed to lose to a 7th seed.

McCarthy appears to have helped shape a better team but the results in playoffs aren’t any better. So, is McCarthy doing more with less or less with more?
This is a great question. I think Mike is a good coach but will never win a Super Bowl in Dallas due to the fact he does not have a GM and football staff that knows how to assemble a football team. The Cowboys are always missing crucial pieces on both sides of the ball that could have been addressed before the season begins. This year it was RB and OL on offense and LB and DT on defense.

Creeper

Reaction score
Well, he is certainly better than Garrett. Do we all agree with that? So in that regard the team is better. But I still think they could have squeezed more out of this group than they got. The one area where McCarthy has not done as much as possible is discipline. The penalties are just a symptom of poor discipline. It also shows up in blown coverages, poor gap control, and other mental mistakes that cost the Cowboys in games. Maybe Zimmer can fix this on defense, but can McCarthy get it done on offense?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think Big Mac has made this team better in the reg season compared to Garrett, whose teams couldn’t possibly win with a key starter missing. Mac’s teams have shown more resiliency in bouncing back after losses too.

The problem that befuddles our FO remains the same for years - they don’t seem to comprehend that to win in the playoffs requires a physical and mental toughness that has been missing for decades.

I still think Jerry believes that the key to winning those 3 SBs in the 90s was ”The Triplets” when that was only a third of the equation. Those 90s teams also had a defense that could impose its will on people and an OL that was super physical and controlled the los. Jerry builds teams around the guys he thinks are his stars, not a complete roster.

This year’s SB made it crystal clear. Both teams had a great defense. KC obviously has a generational talent in Mahomes but he did not play well until the second half. The KC defense kept them in the game long enough for the offense to start kicking in. We haven’t had a defense that could do that since….well a long time ago.

dcstar

Reaction score
More

Divas...whiners...talkers...mo interested in off the field antics

There are a few exceptions of course.

Go Cowboys!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, he is certainly better than Garrett. Do we all agree with that? So in that regard the team is better. But I still think they could have squeezed more out of this group than they got. The one area where McCarthy has not done as much as possible is discipline. The penalties are just a symptom of poor discipline. It also shows up in blown coverages, poor gap control, and other mental mistakes that cost the Cowboys in games. Maybe Zimmer can fix this on defense, but can McCarthy get it done on offense?
I think we can all agree McCarthy is a better HC. Not really close. And I think most would agree 3 consecutive 12 win seasons is definitely best run or team we’ve had.

So my question still remains. Has MM done more or less with these teams he’s had?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we can all agree McCarthy is a better HC. Not really close. And I think most would agree 3 consecutive 12 win seasons is definitely best run or team we’ve had.

So my question still remains. Has MM done more or less with these teams he’s had?
I would say more in the regular season…less than he should have in the playoffs. Winning 36 regular season games and making the playoffs in three straight years is an accomplishment because it had not happened since the 90s. But the early playoff exits make it frustrating.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
More

Divas...whiners...talkers...mo interested in off the field antics

There are a few exceptions of course.

Go Cowboys!
If we are only 3 consecutive 12 win team not to make at least one champ game how can it be more?

If we can agree he’s built a better team and maybe even better culture as @Bobhaze referred to the way we play well after losses and can win when we lose key starters I’d have to agree with him.

Given these factors we would have to argue he’s done less with more assuming the final analysis is playoff performance and results.

Leading us to the brink is worthy of mention and notable . Most feel we are going in right direction. Until we are in playoffs. And why I’m asking this question. I’m leaning he’s done less with more. Assuming the playoffs are the measuring stick.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score

I believe he has done the best he could with the players on the roster. But let's be honest. We have a very good team with flaws. It takes Andy Reid or Bellicheat levels of coaching to cover the flaws we have. That's not MM's fault. I put the blame more on our owner/wannabe GM who failed to assemble the pieces to cover those flaws.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would say more in the regular season…less than he should have in the playoffs. Winning 36 regular season games and making the playoffs in three straight years is an accomplishment because it had not happened since the 90s. But the early playoff exits make it frustrating.
Correct and what I’m getting to. I totally agree.

The fact we have under achieved in playoffs after these better regular seasons we’d have to lean he’s doing less with more in the playoffs which I’d argue is the ultimate measuring stick.

Now if we’d had 9 or 10 win teams and barely got into playoffs then I think we could argue he’s done more with less in playoffs.

But we are only team in NFL history with 3 consecutive 12 win teams not to make at least one champ game appearance. That’s the definition of doing less with more.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
To most saying discipline; i think that issue is a cancer elsewhere that the headcoach is unable to treat. Id hardly think that a criticism for 3 years hes been idly sitting by at. His packers were hardly penalized, and dallas for a while has been, even before him.

I say hes done more good than bad, but ultimately with the same result.

Mannix

Reaction score
This is a great question. I think Mike is a good coach but will never win a Super Bowl in Dallas due to the fact he does not have a GM and football staff that knows how to assemble a football team. The Cowboys are always missing crucial pieces on both sides of the ball that could have been addressed before the season begins. This year it was RB and OL on offense and LB and DT on defense.
Agree with some thoughts above, but what does that have to do with not having the team ready to play in their last three (3) playoff losses???

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Mike is doing what he's designed to do. He's bought into the DC FO mantra of receiving a nice retirement plan while keeping silent about the obvious GM problems. He good at taking bullets in press conferences while giving way for the demented ringmaster to sell his flea circus to the ignorant fans. He's realized the drill and the handicap he's under with the Jones family regime and will more than likely be the latest scapegoat when next year's team losses once again.
I don't believe we'll ever see an innovative young coach with fire to win at all costs on the team. We had that in the early 90's, and it obviously ran roughshod over the owner's ultimate goal which is for the owner's ego to receive all the glory in the event lightning strikes again.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The coach's job is to get the team he has to play as close to its potential as possible.

Mike has done better than Garrett at that, no question. Don't forget that Garrett had an experienced Romo, Witten, Dez, Murray, Elliott, and most of all the best OL in the game.

And he struggled to even make the playoffs most years.

It amazes me that Garrett was such a poser who wasted a decade of our lives, a clown cloaked in a media-friendly shell, and people still defend him like he's a relative.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The coach's job is to get the team he has to play as close to its potential as possible.

Mike has done better than Garrett at that, no question. Don't forget that Garrett had an experienced Romo, Witten, Dez, Murray, Elliott, and most of all the best OL in the game.

Amazingly, Garrett‘s teams only made the playoffs 3 of 10 years. Absolutely mystifying that Jerry kept Garrett here for a decade with that kind of output.

But when your GM and VP for Player Personnel have lifetime contracts, what’s the rush to win now? Multiple seasons can be throwaways because they are never on the hot seat to win now. The players’ careers that have been wasted here can be mind boggling.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Amazingly, Garrett‘s teams only made the playoffs 3 of 10 years. Absolutely mystifying that Jerry kept Garrett here for a decade with that kind of output.

But when your GM and VP for Player Personnel have lifetime contracts, what’s the rush to win now? Multiple seasons can be throwaways because they are never on the hot seat to win now. The careers that have been wasted here can be mind boggling.
Jerry is definitely at fault for keeping his family portrait pet project in place for so long.

But that doesn't mean that pet project wasn't a lousy coach.

Just ask Giants fans what they think of him. Even SNF viewers can see what a phony this guy is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Actually those first 3 years was rebuilding that OL which by 2014 would become the best OL as Murray became leading rusher in NFL.

Once that was built and running game became the focus Dallas had arguably their best 5 years this era in playoffs with 3 Divisional Round appearances and 2 playoff wins. In the end Garrett couldn’t get the job done given ample time.

But this isn’t about Garrett. And not my intent here . Not really interested in hashing all of that again. Attacking Garrett doesn’t present greater support for McCarthy. He has to stand on his own record. It’s about what has McCarthy achieved .

No doubt he’s a much greater and definitely proven HC. Not even debatable. We’ve already established the better team and arguably better culture.

Unfortunately with that regular season success comes the conundrum with playoff disappointment. And if this is the best regular season team we’ve had which 3 consecutive 12 win teams would support . This would have to be the most disappointing playoff stretch .

Afterall we are first team in NFL history with 3 consecutive 12 win seasons without a championship appearance. I’d argue that defines doing less with more in the playoffs.

Brax

Reaction score

Too me he’s done less, beating up mediocre teams isn’t the objective. Unfortunately he doesn’t have a generational QB to cover his shortcomings, and what’s more telling is he only made it to one SB with that talent so anyone deceiving themselves that he is doing it with what is now in place is delusional. Unless MZ creates the 85 bears defense then just expect more of the same

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
But we are only team in NFL history with 3 consecutive 12 win teams not to make at least one champ game appearance. That’s the definition of doing less with more.
Or is this teams talent level really more in line with a 8-10 win team that's simply overachieved in the regular season? For the longest time I would have rejected this thought process, but I'm coming around to the idea that this team isnt quite as good as we thought it was going into the season.

This was one of the worst teams in the league at both running the football and stopping the run. Literally half of the game of football this team was below average yet still won 12 games. Now part of that may be an issue of scheme which falls directly on big Mike, however good players in a bad scheme should be able to at least be average. This team whiffed on the draft (at least by year 1 standards), went into the year with 80% of fans pleading for a RB upgrade, had a massive hole in the middle of the defense, lost it's best CB for the year week 3, etc. This team had major holes that we largely ignored because we had top end guys like Lamb, Parsons, etc we thought would elevate this team and even some guys like Bland who helped pick up the slack.

This team is good, dont get me wrong, but this team is one dimensional on both sides of the football which I think aligns with the results of we beat up on most bad teams in dominant fashion, but turn around and lay duds against teams that are more well rounded. I had my fan goggles on most of the season and down played some of the beat downs this team took. In hindsight I think this team played pretty true to who they are based on their schedule.

I have to believe that 12 wins is about the ceiling for this team and they achieved that. Looking back I was confident about the playoffs, but never should have been given the reoccurring issues we saw dating back to last year.....including against Green Bay. I would say the underachieved because the game was so lopsided, however this team was wildly overrated going into that playoff game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Or is this teams talent level really more in line with a 8-10 win team that's simply overachieved in the regular season? For the longest time I would have rejected this thought process, but I'm coming around to the idea that this team isnt quite as good as we thought it was going into the season.

This was one of the worst teams in the league at both running the football and stopping the run. Literally half of the game of football this team was below average yet still won 12 games. Now part of that may be an issue of scheme which falls directly on big Mike, however good players in a bad scheme should be able to at least be average. This team whiffed on the draft (at least by year 1 standards), went into the year with 80% of fans pleading for a RB upgrade, had a massive hole in the middle of the defense, lost it's best CB for the year week 3, etc. This team had major holes that we largely ignored because we had top end guys like Lamb, Parsons, etc we thought would elevate this team and even some guys like Bland who helped pick up the slack.

This team is good, dont get me wrong, but this team is one dimensional on both sides of the football which I think aligns with the results of we beat up on most bad teams in dominant fashion, but turn around and lay duds against teams that are more well rounded. I had my fan goggles on most of the season and down played some of the beat downs this team took. In hindsight I think this team played pretty true to who they are based on their schedule.

I have to believe that 12 wins is about the ceiling for this team and they achieved that. Looking back I was confident about the playoffs, but never should have been given the reoccurring issues we saw dating back to last year.....including against Green Bay. I would say the underachieved because the game was so lopsided, however this team was wildly overrated going into that playoff game.
This is a reasonable argument . The regular season team is over hyped which I’d agree with.