Has McCarthy done more or less with team and talent?

kevm3

Reaction score
McCarthy has done what has been done for 20+ years here which is great regular seasons and 2nd round ceiling max

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To me he’s done less, beating up mediocre teams isn’t the objective. Unfortunately he doesn’t have a generational QB to cover his shortcomings, and what’s more telling is he only made it to one SB with that talent so anyone deceiving themselves that he is doing it with what is now in place is delusional. Unless MZ creates the 85 bears defense then just expect more of the same
The above argument by thunderpimp that the regular season team is over hyped is sound. Which sets us up for the disappointment in playoffs.

Bottomline though given most agree McCarthy has done more in regular season, he’s done less in the playoffs which is the ultimate measurement. Same goes for our QB. At least for most fans.

Havic

Reaction score
The team he has helped build feels more complete with better depth but limited by QB play

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The above argument that the regular season team is over hyped is sound. Which sets us up for the disappointment in playoffs.

Bottomline though given most agree McCarthy has done more in regular season, he’s done less in the playoffs which is the ultimate measurement. Same goes for our QB. At least for most fans.
Tough to argue against that, even for someone like me who thinks the roster was on the overrated side going into the year.

It's almost the worst possible scenario from the stance of a Cowboy fan. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the regular season has almost become less entertaining as the playoffs have expanded and the Cowboys are plenty good enough to make it in the top 7 by accident.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has done more. Better roster and record than under Garrett. :thumbup:

Unfortunately it doesn't translate to the playoffs. :thumbdown:

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Its by design people.

Come on, Jerry and Co. have put good talent on the field.

Now its Jerry's fault for the HC. Here is the thing...most want some unproven young Offensive minded coach that hasnt won anything. If that fails...its Jerry's fault for getting an unproven coach in here.

LOL, CeeDee and Dak spat...IN A PLAYOFF GAME! LOL...come on now. It doesnt make sense after the year CeeDee had. To hate on Dak's decisions that early in a game? Come on.

We could have Bill Belicheck calling the defense, Kyle Shanahan calling offense and have Tom Landry as coach...with all the same talent as Romo years and Dak years....it would be the same outcome.

It has nothing to do with Owner, Coach, Players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He has done more. Better roster and record than under Garrett. :thumbup:

Unfortunately it doesn't translate to the playoffs. :thumbdown:
And that’s the conundrum . That’s why ultimately he’s arguably done less with more . The playoffs are the final measurement.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its by design people.

Come on, Jerry and Co. have put good talent on the field.

Now its Jerry's fault for the HC. Here is the thing...most want some unproven young Offensive minded coach that hasnt won anything. If that fails...its Jerry's fault for getting an unproven coach in here.

LOL, CeeDee and Dak spat...IN A PLAYOFF GAME! LOL...come on now. It doesnt make sense after the year CeeDee had. To hate on Dak's decisions that early in a game? Come on.

We could have Bill Belicheck calling the defense, Kyle Shanahan calling offense and have Tom Landry as coach...with all the same talent as Romo years and Dak years....it would be the same outcome.

It has nothing to do with Owner, Coach, Players.
The thing is with greater coaching who had more control in personnel they could have built a better group of talent .

And while the NFL is talent driven greater coaching has been proven to elevate or optimize given same personnel even if it doesn’t go as far as we’d like .

Parcells in 2003 a great example with a 5-11 team from previous 3 seasons.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Less.

Proof: McCarthy is breaking and extending records of shame for underachievement.

- He has built the Cowboys NFL shame record of playoff appearances without making a conference title game by +3 so far.

- He has set a new NFL record of shame by becoming the first coach to have three straight 12 win seasons without making a conference championship game.

- He massively underachieved with Green Bay who should have won 3 SBs or more with prime Aaron Rodgers and a good roster.

McCarthy's history as HC shows that come playoff time his coaching doesn't work very often.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You are always over achieving if you have regular season success for multiple years with Jerry Jones as your GM.

It would take a special coach and QB to win in the playoffs and a Superbowl with Jerry Jones as your GM ...... and we have neither.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The thing is with greater coaching who had more control in personnel they could have built a better group of talent .

And while the NFL is talent driven greater coaching has been proven to elevate or optimize given same personnel even if it doesn’t go as far as we’d like .

Parcells in 2003 a great example with a 5-11 team from previous 3 seasons.
Big Bill last 3 years, though?

What about letting the DC pick Taco?

So...which coaches have a proven record that you can acquire right now? Why arent they employed? Please tell me this isnt the QB situation where EVERYONE on the board is saying fire Dak and draft the next Mahommes like its easy work.

I think you are just saying something that isnt fact. I dont care if that is the way all coaches from pop warner to the big leagues think(it seems to be)...but its not fact that a coach with total control will be better.

The "buying the groceries" is just buzz-phrase industry speak that isnt based in fact. Barbie Carpenter was dookie.

Seems counter intuitive to allow a coach have control of the draft after the talent Dallas is putting on the field last few years.

I think its decent coaching, good QB play and good defense play. I dont think coach having total control is a required ingredient.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think we can all agree McCarthy is a better HC. Not really close. And I think most would agree 3 consecutive 12 win seasons is definitely best run or team we’ve had.

So my question still remains. Has MM done more or less with these teams he’s had?
More or less than who? He has done more than Garrett. but he has not gotten the most out of the teams he has had. As I said, the discipline has held this team back. Maybe that is seeking perfections but I think they can and should do something with the penalties and other discipline issues.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The front office has done a good job keeping talent on this team. They don't have SB level talent but they aren't going for that either, they are happy with guys who make the pro bowl alternate because the better players are busy in the post season. Mike for his part has done a better job in the regular season but hasn't had any more post season success that any other coach since jimmy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Big Bill last 3 years, though?

What about letting the DC pick Taco?

So...which coaches have a proven record that you can acquire right now? Why arent they employed? Please tell me this isnt the QB situation where EVERYONE on the board is saying fire Dak and draft the next Mahommes like its easy work.

I think you are just saying something that isnt fact. I dont care if that is the way all coaches from pop warner to the big leagues think(it seems to be)...but its not fact that a coach with total control will be better.

The "buying the groceries" is just buzz-phrase industry speak that isnt based in fact. Barbie Carpenter was dookie.

Seems counter intuitive to allow a coach have control of the draft after the talent Dallas is putting on the field last few years.

I think its decent coaching, good QB play and good defense play. I dont think coach having total control is a required ingredient.
Most critics i agree with say those HC aren’t being pursued by those in need around the league cause they aren’t long term solutions. Which I think could be perfect for us.

But I doubt Jethro would be interested. Not yet anyway. I think it’s why he hired an ex HC he’s comfortable with for DC in case this season collapses he has an out.

Maybe a HC having total control isn’t required. But most of these known ex HC’s don’t want the meddling and undermining Jethro presents. Unless their phone isn’t ringing. And willing to suck it up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
McCarthy was hired to get the team over the hump and win a championship and he hasn’t come close to doing that. We’re 1-2 in the playoffs with him including two one and done’s at home. The 2024 season will be his last chance. His seat couldn’t be any hotter.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
McCarthy was hired to get the team over the hump and win a championship and he hasn’t come close to doing that. We’re 1-2 in the playoffs with him including two one and done’s at home. The 2024 season will be his last chance. His seat couldn’t be any hotter.
And that's the way it should be. My own personal standard for the position was progress, so the fact that we regressed in the playoffs this year would have resulted in me replacing him. But my research has shown that Super Bowl coaches, particularly in this era, get it done within the first five years. This is McCarthy's fifth year, so that would mean he has this year to get it done. I'm hoping the Joneses at least have a similar thought process and it's a make-or-break year instead of holding on to him for far too long like they did with Garrett.

That being said, I will say again that the Joneses are the main problem here, not the head coaches. There have been multiple head coaches come through here since Jimmy/Barry and the team has not made an NFC Championship Game under any of them. The one constant? The Joneses leading the front office.

I think we get distracted from that with these kinds of discussion. Yes, I want there to be a cut-off for a coach's shot at getting us to a Super Bowl, but we have to understand that they are handicapped in that effort by this front office.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think Fat Mike has been solid, but hes guilty of delegating too much. I think thats over with. Now he has a direct line to the new staff. Im not totally sure he had the pulse of the team on defense before. I think DQ had his clique and MM his. I think thats done now with the Zimmer hire. That said, I think Mike did a nice job maximizing the guys he had. Mike ran an offense without a true every down rb with Pollard. That hurt us. He couldnt run the way he wanted. So yeah, he maximized what Tony could do. It was foolish to go into the year thinking 20 could be the starter coming off a major injury. Thats not o Mike, but on the front office for sitting on their laurels. It was arrogant. I think that is over with.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And that's the way it should be. My own personal standard for the position was progress, so the fact that we regressed in the playoffs this year would have resulted in me replacing him. But my research has shown that Super Bowl coaches, particularly in this era, get it done within the first five years. This is McCarthy's fifth year, so that would mean he has this year to get it done. I'm hoping the Joneses at least have a similar thought process and it's a make-or-break year instead of holding on to him for far too long like they did with Garrett.

That being said, I will say again that the Joneses are the main problem here, not the head coaches. There have been multiple head coaches come through here since Jimmy/Barry and the team has not made an NFC Championship Game under any of them. The one constant? The Joneses leading the front office.

I think we get distracted from that with these kinds of discussion. Yes, I want there to be a cut-off for a coach's shot at getting us to a Super Bowl, but we have to understand that they are handicapped in that effort by this front office.
I would have fired McCarthy but I understand why Jerry didn’t. He saw the 12 wins and division title but we lost most of the big games we played and were destroyed in three of them including the loss to Green Bay in the playoffs. It’s pretty obvious McCarthy can’t get through to the players but not sure any HC can with Jerry running the team. We backed in to winning the division because Philly completely fell apart. McCarthy may not make it through next season if things start going sideways. Wouldn’t be surprised if we suffer a hangover next season.