Has McCarthy done more or less with team and talent?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The Cowboys roster in 2023 was superior to any roster that Garrett coached. (no, this is not a defense of Garrett)

I think we've seen peak McCarthy, and predict he will be gone after next season. The Dak contract will continue to haunt though...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would have fired McCarthy but I understand why Jerry didn’t. He saw the 12 wins and division title but we lost most of the big games we played and were destroyed in three of them including the loss to Green Bay in the playoffs. We backed in to winning the division because Philly completely fell apart. McCarthy may not make it through next season if things start going sideways.
And they might, especially with Zimmer replacing Quinn. I know Quinn deserves just as much blame as McCarthy for our playoff flub, but sometimes the switch to a new defensive coordinator, even one who has had some success at it, can be a bit bumpy. I believe Zimmer usually has turned around defenses wherever he's been by his second year there, but he'll have to build on what Quinn has accomplished immediately for McCarthy to stand a chance. Or McCarthy will have to turn the offense into a juggernaut. I don't expect the Joneses to supply the pieces for either of those things to happen. To catch the teams ahead of us, we'll need an influx of talent and I just don't see the Joneses changing their philosophy and supplying it. We'll have to hope as usual that we hit on some cheap FA additions and all our draft picks.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We should have fired MM and just hired Zimmer as HC. I think MIKE has done a good job but when they hired Zimmer, they really should have done the humane thing and cut bait with Mike.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The Cowboys roster in 2023 was superior to any roster that Garrett coached. (no, this is not a defense of Garrett)

I think we've seen peak McCarthy, and predict he will be gone after next season. The Dak contract will continue to haunt though...
Don't agree. Compare the 2014 (or even the 2016) offense to this year's.

Romo > or = Dak
Murray > Pollard
Witten > Ferguson
Bryant = Lamb
Williams = Cooks
Beasley/Harris > Gallup/Tolbert
Tyron > old Tyron
Leary < Tyler
Frederick > Biadasz
Martin > older Martin
Free = Steele

I would have loved to have seen McCarthy with that group. Of course, he would have had the same weak defense we had then, so the end result might not have been any better. That line was a monster with Tyron, Martin and Frederick at their peak.

This defense is quite a bit better than that one, but wasn't in the playoff game so deserves the same disregard.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I would say more in the regular season…less than he should have in the playoffs. Winning 36 regular season games and making the playoffs in three straight years is an accomplishment because it had not happened since the 90s. But the early playoff exits make it frustrating.
Besides the packers loss which was abysmal and embarrassing, which other playoff loss would you say was a complete surprise or a game we should have won?

I think both 49er losses were to teams that were better than us but as worst coin flip games

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Culture eats strategy for breakfast.

Not that McCarthy offers much in the way of strategy. He is completely incapable of overcoming the poisonous culture in Dallas though.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Don't agree. Compare the 2014 (or even the 2016) offense to this year's.

Romo > or = Dak
Murray > Pollard
Witten > Ferguson
Bryant = Lamb
Williams = Cooks
Beasley/Harris > Gallup/Tolbert
Tyron > old Tyron
Leary < Tyler
Frederick > Biadasz
Martin > older Martin
Free = Steele

I would have loved to have seen McCarthy with that group. Of course, he would have had the same weak defense we had then, so the end result might not have been any better. That line was a monster with Tyron, Martin and Frederick at their peak.

This defense is quite a bit better than that one, but wasn't in the playoff game so deserves the same disregard.
That's a good take. It ignores depth though. Dallas had an extremely top heavy roster then. There was no depth, and Dallas was among the worst in the NFL in dead money. How does the current offense rank compared to the league vs. how did it then? WR starting quality and depth are both better now IMO.

It's also not fair to "disregard" the defense based on one single playoff game. The current defense has statistically been among the very best in the league for years under Quinn. Remember that in the loss to the Packers, the game was completely decided by halftime. In the first half, Dak not only gifted 14 points to the Packers, but also cost Dallas another 3 with that dumb sack. Without those three Dak mistakes, the Green Bay game is 13-10 at halftime. Dak lost that game, not the defense. He gift-wrapped it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have fired McCarthy but I understand why Jerry didn’t. He saw the 12 wins and division title but we lost most of the big games we played and were destroyed in three of them including the loss to Green Bay in the playoffs.
:hammer:

lostar2009

Reaction score
MM put in the extra time of offense. If DQ did the same and the FO actually fielded a more complete team this team would've went to the SB. Its the same deal every year. Either lack of coaching, or a half bake roaster.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Oh hell no.
I agree in 1 aspect, but I am telling you what they SHOULD have done if they were dead set on bringing in Zimmer. Its not what I would have done, but since they did hire him, now we have a bad situation that is made worse. Now we have 2 coaches that will be lame ducks. Not just MM. Zimmer must be betting on himself, which takes balls and a bit of ego to do that.Its very risky. If it were me doing the firing and hiring, I would have fired the entire staff except Lunda wells and Harris.Then I would have went hard after Vrabel as my HC. If he didn't want it, THEN I would go talk to Rex Ryan. Zimmer is my 3rd option. Rivera was a big no go for me. So we hired a middle of the road old guy to be the DC and likely HC next year. Thats what we did. It puts us in a worse situation, not better. Thats why I feel a clean sweep should have been done . That said, MM won 36 games last 3 years which is very hard to do. Thats what saved him in the end.

CWR

Reaction score
Well, he is certainly better than Garrett. Do we all agree with that? So in that regard the team is better. But I still think they could have squeezed more out of this group than they got. The one area where McCarthy has not done as much as possible is discipline. The penalties are just a symptom of poor discipline. It also shows up in blown coverages, poor gap control, and other mental mistakes that cost the Cowboys in games. Maybe Zimmer can fix this on defense, but can McCarthy get it done on offense?
Maybe Zimmer can help, and maybe someone can explain how MM didn't have the same penalty problems in GB.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That's a good take. It ignores depth though. Dallas had an extremely top heavy roster then. There was no depth, and Dallas was among the worst in the NFL in dead money. How does the current offense rank compared to the league vs. how did it then? WR starting quality and depth are both better now IMO.

It's also not fair to "disregard" the defense based on one single playoff game. The current defense has statistically been among the very best in the league for years under Quinn. Remember that in the loss to the Packers, the game was completely decided by halftime. In the first half, Dak not only gifted 14 points to the Packers, but also cost Dallas another 3 with that dumb sack. Without those three Dak mistakes, the Green Bay game is 13-10 at halftime. Dak lost that game, not the defense. He gift-wrapped it.
Fair enough on Green Bay.

I'm not sure that our depth was better last year than in 2014, on offense at least.

It might have been better at guard with TJ Bass, but I'd argue that Jermey Parnell, who split time with Free was a better tackle than what we put out there at backup.

At running back, we had Dunbar and Randle. At tight end, we had Gascobar, who accomplished about as much as our second-round tight end last year. At receiver, I'd probably take our top four in 2014 over our top four this year, mainly because I think this group dropped off harder after the top two.

But again, in 2014, we had no quality depth on defense ... and barely quality starters. I mean, JJ Wilcox was our third safety, Tyler Patmon was our third corner, Might have had better depth at linebacker, though, since this year we only carried a couple of true linebackers.

btgboys41

Reaction score
Mac doing less with more. If you are 12-6 but 4 of those you got blown out, then you likely got fat on weak teams. They were non competitive against 4 teams including the Cards. That can’t happen if you are a good team.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a talented and experienced group of players across their roster. Nine Dallas players named first- or second-team All-Pro by the Associated Press. Quarterback Dak Prescott led the league in touchdown passes, linebacker Micah Parsons had a career-high 14 sacks, and cornerback DaRon Bland led the league with nine interceptions, five of which he returned for touchdowns — an NFL record.

The Cowboys became the first team to win 12 games in three consecutive seasons and fail to make a single conference championship game appearance. Cowboys had top 5 overall team rankings on offense and defense.

They were playing the game in Dallas, and they were the only team that didn't lose a single home game during the 2023 NFL season. And the first 2seed to lose to a 7th seed.

McCarthy appears to have helped shape a better team but the results in playoffs aren’t any better. So, is McCarthy doing more with less or less with more?
I would say less with more, he hasnt done any better than JG in the playoffs.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s hard to say when I don’t know how much influence, if any, MM has in roster construction. He has done well in the regular season for sure. There are some serious flaws in personnel which I would blame the GM for. I’m not sure that there is a coach out there(who Jerry would hire) that could overcome the big tent atmosphere.

With that said, Mike was hired to win in the playoffs and has failed in that aspect. He was setup for failure because any new HC will get the same results in the end due to Jerry and son. Zimmer won’t be any different if he is indeed the next HC.

Fmart322

Reaction score
He's done both. If Jason Garrett was still the HC with this roster he would consistently go 9-8 to 11-6(If everything went his way).
He probably would have lost all of the playoff games we played. Clapping throughout the game.

I also believe Mike McCarthy has failed late in the season and in the post season.
There was no excuse to have lost to green bay, especially the way we lost to green bay.