Has the future Super Bowl City Ever Caused this much discussion?

cleverusername

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1506969 said:
Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

And the reason it's North Texas is because it's taking a four-county effort to make it happen. I could understand if Dallas was the only city involved, but it's not.

I can't wait. I'll be up there, doing my best to offer some southern hospitality. :cool:

The funny thing is when I first went to school, and was meeting new friends, I would ask " where are you from? " They would respond "Dallas". " What part of Dallas ? " "Fort Worth" ( or Arlington, HEB, Garland, Plano, Royce City, Saginaw, Waxahachie...etc" :)

And this would happen numerous times (hundreds), I guess people are most likely to respond with the most well known city, and then narrow it down to their individual suburb.

When it comes down to it, (from my experience) It's all really Dallas.

Someone once told me Fort Worth was the armpit of Dallas. :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
bobtheflob;1506940 said:
I was annoyed by that quote from the Indianapolis guy that the only advantage Dallas had was the larger stadium, thus it was all about money. While I agree that it was probably the strongest selling point, it's making people believe that Dallas must be an inferior city to host it.

(I don't like the term "North Texas". I used to live in Plano and had no problem being lumped in with Dallas because it's the Dallas metroplex).

Just an FYI. Dallas accounts for only 20% (1.2 million) of the Metroplex's (6 million) total population. The Metroplex is the 4th largest metro area in the US.

• New York: 18.8 million
  • Los Angeles: 12.9 million
  • Chicago: 9.5 million
  • Dallas/Fort Worth: 6 million

Let me show you something that suprises a lot of people. A lot of people around the Metroplex barely consider Ft Worth a large city, but don't realize how large it is compared to other major US cities.

US city populations: (actual city populations, not metro area populations; none are larger than the Metroplex metro area)
  • Fort Worth: 624k
  • Detroit: 880k
  • St Louis: 353k
  • Seattle: 578k
  • Miami: 391k
  • Atlanta: 483k
  • Boston: 596k
  • Denver: 566k
  • Cincinnati: 368k
  • Cleveland: 478k

Well, you get the point. Out of all those major cities, only Detroit has a larger actual city population than Fort Worth.

Pretty good considering the Metroplex doesn't have a major waterway, which most super large major cities are built on.

Anyway, this is off-topic. Go Cowboys!

As you can see, I'm still proud of where I come from even though I now live in NY.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cleverusername;1506998 said:
The funny thing is when I first went to school, and was meeting new friends, I would ask " where are you from? " They would respond "Dallas". " What part of Dallas ? " "Fort Worth" ( or Arlington, HEB, Garland, Plano, Royce City, Saginaw, Waxahachie...etc" :)

And this would happen numerous times (hundreds), I guess people are most likely to respond with the most well known city, and then narrow it down to their individual suburb.

When it comes down to it, (from my experience) It's all really Dallas.
It really isn't. Ft. Worth is the primary city in Tarrant County whereas Dallas is the primary city in Dallas County. Some people do just say they're from Dallas, but since I never went to Dallas much growing up, I never claimed I was from there. It's like if you live in Galveston, Tx (30mins from Houston), never really go to Houston, then leave the area and then say you're from Houston.

Someone once told me Fort Worth was the armpit of Dallas. :laugh2:
They're haters. :cool:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Someone explain this to an outsider....

How does this whole Dallas-Ft Worth- Arlington- Metroplex thing work?

How far is Dallas from Ft Worth? Dallas from Arlington?

Is this like Dallas is the city, and that Arlington and Ft Worth are suburbs? (Kind of like how everyone claims Chicago, but really, they are from the suburbs of Chicago?)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Vintage;1507016 said:

Is this like Dallas is the city, and that Arlington and Ft Worth are suburbs? (Kind of like how everyone claims Chicago, but really, they are from the suburbs of Chicago?)

Ft. Worth and Arlington are cities of their own. Arlington is 20 miles from Dallas.

A metroplex is large metropolitan area containing several cities and their suburbs.[1] It is also sometimes used as an alternative to metropolis or megalopolis, which is a chain of continuous metropolitan areas. The term was coined for, and is still commonly used to describe, the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. [2] Sometimes, a region is not clearly defined. It can be seen as a metroplex or a single metropolitan area (for example, Dallas - Fort Worth is closer to the definition of a metro and Norcal is closer to the definition of a megalopolis).

The most common use of the word metroplex in the United States is for:

Dallas - Fort Worth, sometimes called DFW; the area around Dallas and Fort Worth is regularly referred to as simply "The Metroplex" in print and television media inside the state of Texas, unlike the other metropolitan areas listed.
Some other areas in the U.S. and Canada that meet the definition of metroplex:

Southern California (sometimes referred to as the Southland or SoCal), comprising Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, Santa Barbara-Santa Maria, and San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos
Northern California or NorCal, centered on the San Francisco Bay Area of San Jose - San Francisco - Oakland, extending north and south to Santa Rosa-Petaluma, Vallejo-Fairfield and Santa Cruz-Watsonville, Salinas, and inland to merge with the Central Valley areas of Yuba City, Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, Stockton, Modesto, Merced.
Golden Horseshoe, a region stretching from Northumberland County to London, with a central focus on Toronto. The 3 metropolitan areas, London, Buffalo, and the Golden Horseshoe fabricate this metroplex of over 10 million.
BosWash. Boston, Baltimore, Washington

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1507011 said:
They're haters. :cool:

No kidding. Personally, I would say Dallas is the armpit of the Metroplex. I blame it all on Dallas politics. The entire city appears to be run by buffoons. They are more worried about getting their own way than worried about the city as a whole. The entire city government is a train wreck. There is no way the Cowboys should have left Dallas in the first place, and even more stupid to have allowed them to leave Irving for Arlington. The Cowboys belong in the city of Dallas.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vintage;1507016 said:

Dooms had a good description of the DFW metroplex. Neither Arlington nor Ft. Worth is a suburb of Dallas. Totally different culture, too. Dallas is much more urban, IMO, but it doesn't mean those other cities are hick towns either. I tend to compare FW to San Antonio as far as culture.

Travel time between Dallas and Ft. Worth can range between 30-45mins depending on what time you're going. They're about 30 miles apart.

Arlington sits between Dallas and Ft. Worth, but the Stadium itself will be closer to Ft. Worth than Dallas. Like 10 mins from the eastern edge of FW.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
I fully realize that the area is a suburb dominated metroplex, but I just don't like the term North Texas. People not from the region usually think of the panhandle when they here it. If I'm talking to someone from out of state and they ask where I grew up, I always say Dallas instead of Plano or North Texas. It's justy a more widely known name.

Similarly I tell people now that I live in DC even though it's really a suburb, it's just easier that way.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Vintage;1507016 said:

dfw-map-wide.gif

See the "A" in Arlington in the middle. That is where the new stadium is being built. :) I grew up in Everman/Forest Hill in the south eastern part of Fort Worth.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bobtheflob;1507049 said:
I fully realize that the area is a suburb dominated metroplex, but I just don't like the term North Texas. People not from the region usually think of the panhandle when they here it. If I'm talking to someone from out of state and they ask where I grew up, I always say Dallas instead of Plano or North Texas. It's justy a more widely known name.

Your from Texas High School football country. After Friday Night Lights I think more and more people have heard of Plano.

joseephuss

Reaction score
nyc;1507001 said:
Just an FYI. Dallas accounts for only 20% (1.2 million) of the Metroplex's (6 million) total population. The Metroplex is the 4th largest metro area in the US.

• New York: 18.8 million
  • Los Angeles: 12.9 million
  • Chicago: 9.5 million
  • Dallas/Fort Worth: 6 million

Let me show you something that suprises a lot of people. A lot of people around the Metroplex barely consider Ft Worth a large city, but don't realize how large it is compared to other major US cities.

US city populations: (actual city populations, not metro area populations; none are larger than the Metroplex metro area)
  • Fort Worth: 624k
  • Detroit: 880k
  • St Louis: 353k
  • Seattle: 578k
  • Miami: 391k
  • Atlanta: 483k
  • Boston: 596k
  • Denver: 566k
  • Cincinnati: 368k
  • Cleveland: 478k

Well, you get the point. Out of all those major cities, only Detroit has a larger actual city population than Fort Worth.

Pretty good considering the Metroplex doesn't have a major waterway, which most super large major cities are built on.

Anyway, this is off-topic. Go Cowboys!

As you can see, I'm still proud of where I come from even though I now live in NY.

The Trinity River was a major waterway at one time. Rail lines were a big contributor to the Dallas area.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
bobtheflob;1507049 said:
If I'm talking to someone from out of state and they ask where I grew up, I always say Dallas instead of Plano or North Texas. It's justy a more widely known name.

Similarly I tell people now that I live in DC even though it's really a suburb, it's just easier that way.

Same here. I say I'm from Dallas even though I'm from Fort Worth. I actually live in lower Connecticut now (used to actually live in NY), but It's still a suburb of NYC (NYC metro area) and tell anyone who ask that I live in NY. You would not believe how many people have no idea where Connecticut is geographically located!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;1507067 said:
Same here. I say I'm from Dallas even though I'm from Fort Worth. I actually live in lower Connecticut now (used to actually live in NY), but It's still a suburb of NYC (NYC metro area) and tell anyone who ask that I live in NY. You would not believe how many people have no idea where Connecticut is geographically located!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
I never claim Dallas. I don't have enough of a connection to the city to want to claim the area. And if people say "Dallas" I just use that as a chance to educate them.

On a side note, here's a modified map of where the stadium should sit.

http://i5.***BLOCKED***/albums/y164/nbr1diva/metroplex.gif

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys/gals.

Never did understand it until now...

Off topic: But looking at both maps, does anything jump out at you? Like, what the roads are shaped in?

You can see it better on page 2's map...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
joseephuss;1507061 said:
The Trinity River was a major waterway at one time. Rail lines were a big contributor to the Dallas area.

Metroplex's biggest boon around the 1850s was Texas Longhorns. As most people have head of Omaha Steaks? Omaha was a major meat packing area and a major stop for the railroad. A huge portion of that meat came from Texas (Longhorn meat) via the Chisholm Trail as the meat was a 10th of the price of meat anywhere else in the east. ($4 a head vs $40 a head) Fort Worth became a major trading post and rest area on the trail's track to Omaha.

Ok, I feel like a history teacher. :p:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Vintage;1507079 said:

Off topic: But looking at both maps, does anything jump out at you? Like, what the roads are shaped in?

I did not notice till now, your a sick man. :lmao:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vintage;1507079 said:

tsk, tsk, tsk...

:lmao:

BTW, if you change your settings, you can get 40 posts on one page.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1507082 said:
I did not notice till now, your a sick man. :lmao:

How could you not?

Its there, practically waving at me....

:laugh2:

It was the first thing I noticed (well, after locating Dallas on the map)...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1507076 said:
On a side note, here's a modified map of where the stadium should sit.

You're "star" for the new stadium is slightly off. The stadium is south of I30 on the cornor of Collins and Randal Mill. (I was just there last weekend as my mother is in the Arlington Memorial Hospital just one of block west of it.) :(

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1507087 said:
tsk, tsk, tsk...

:lmao:

Have you ever noticed it before?

(This is the first time I've seen a map of the Dallas/FW area).